• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

Bleib

Major Contributor
Many thanks, I bought the product :)
Better price till 25th

HDavidson

Had arrived Topping DX5 Lite.
I can't figure out how to switch AMP - DAC - Pre positions.
On Remote control and without it, in case a dog ate it ))

The headphone amplifier is rather weak for 300-600 ohms. For Focal Clear the normal level is -20dB per +12dB gain control H.

Where and how can I check the firmware version?

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where and how can I check the firmware version?

If you have the ASIO drivers installed on Windows, it's in the Info tab, see 'revision'...

1679737453887.png

See manual for switching options...

1679737670078.png

You can't switch DAC (i.e. fixed output)/Pre-amp mode directly from the remote, it's only in the menu...

1679737750355.png

Personally, I don't see the point of the headphone amp + line output setting. I've trained an IR controlled mains socket to respond to button 4-8 on my Topping remote as it's only used for accepting menu options on my EX5 (it does nothing when not in the menus).

Last edited:

HDavidson

Fixed DAC output can be adjusted in the menu: switch on the back and simultaneously press the button on the front of the device.
Be careful not to plug in headphones in DAC mode. The volume is set to maximum and cannot be lowered.

Topping cannot give clear and understandable instructions for adjusting the apparatus ??? ((((

Trell

Major Contributor
If you have the ASIO drivers installed on Windows, it's in the Info tab, see 'revision'...

View attachment 274579

See manual for switching options...

View attachment 274580

You can't switch DAC (i.e. fixed output)/Pre-amp mode directly from the remote, it's only in the menu...

View attachment 274581

Personally, I don't see the point of the headphone amp + line output setting. I've trained an IR controlled mains socket to respond to button 4-8 on my Topping remote as it's only used for accepting menu options on my EX5 (it does nothing when not in the menus).

So by a simple click on a button (large one between input prev and next buttons) during play back you could accidentally output to headphones amp and lines out at the same time during normal usage? If true, that is a dumb user interface.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So by a simple click on a button (large one between input prev and next buttons) during play back you could accidentally output to headphones amp and lines out at the same time during normal usage? If true, that is a dumb user interface.

Agreed. Can someone with a DX5 check if the HP Amp volume or the full line out volume (or both) is honoured in this case.

HDavidson

If true, that is a dumb user interface.
Mode DAC accidentally pressed the button on the headphones and got hit on them, at full volume.
Interface very strange is not enough to say. Real gas plant.

Trell

Major Contributor
Mode DAC accidentally pressed the button on the headphones and got hit on them, at full volume.
Interface very strange is not enough to say. Real gas plant.

Hopefully you did not damage your hearing!

It's not enough, for me at least, to have an excellent audio performance but then have so other real issues that are potentially dangerous in normal usage.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a PDF. So text, not image.
Man did you even download the thing?
The file seemed to be a vector rendering but without text tags. Text search didn’t work and Google Translate said ”Can’t translate scanned PDFs”.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The file seemed to be a vector rendering but without text tags. Text search didn’t work and Google Translate said ”Can’t translate scanned PDFs”.
In that case, there are a number of image translate services that can be used:
Screenshot 2023-03-25 181554.png Screenshot 2023-03-25 181543.png

HDavidson

I looked at the firmware version - 1.08. I looked on the official website Topping and didn't find it.

HDavidson

Quel est le numéro de version actuel du firmware pour DX5 et où puis-je le télécharger ?

PS
C’est pourquoi je ne l’ai pas trouvé. Lors de la traduction, le site donne ceci. :facepalm:

Attachments

• ddddddd.jpg
    ddddddd.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

HDavidson

After the update (update process was successful) of the version of FW 1.38 DX5 downloaded from the official site Topping.
Error message: incorrect FW ver
Product blocked :facepalm::mad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom