• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

doremo

I'm looking for a new DAC and I'm currently having trouble deciding between the D1SE2 and the D90SE. I've done some research and I know that they're both great DACs, but I'm still not sure which one would be the best fit for me.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with both of these DACs. If so, I would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on them. What did you like about each one? What didn't you like? And which one would you recommend for someone who is looking for the best sound quality and build quality?

I'm not too concerned about the Bluetooth function, as I prefered wire connection

I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks in advance!

MacCali

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a new DAC and I'm currently having trouble deciding between the D1SE2 and the D90SE. I've done some research and I know that they're both great DACs, but I'm still not sure which one would be the best fit for me.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with both of these DACs. If so, I would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on them. What did you like about each one? What didn't you like? And which one would you recommend for someone who is looking for the best sound quality and build quality?

I'm not too concerned about the Bluetooth function, as I prefered wire connection

I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks in advance!
Shouldn’t be too far off, I think the only plus maybe the new vmv does have the better processor for usb input. I maybe wrong but I am assuming and don’t want to check.

If you don’t plan on using usb it doesn’t matter and probably doesn’t matter regardless.

delta76

Major Contributor
performance is fairly comparable and well beyond audible threshold. the SMSL is cheaper and has a remote so that's a win from me. in any case, buy from a retailer with generous return and warranty policies, like Amazon (yeah you might hate them but they are actually a better retailer than most other Chinese Hifi retailers)

ommadusk

performance is fairly comparable and well beyond audible threshold. the SMSL is cheaper and has a remote so that's a win from me. in any case, buy from a retailer with generous return and warranty policies, like Amazon (yeah you might hate them but they are actually a better retailer than most other Chinese Hifi retailers)
The D90SE/LE has a remote control though it doesn't have a very good range like all Topping remotes. You're looking at two of the more expensive models. I take it you want balanced as well as rca. You might want a DAC with a 5V/2.5V output as well as 4V/2V output and the SMSL here doesn't have that. I haven't got any experience with SMSL. I can speak for the quality of the D90SE in silver. It's a great looking device.

I've been looking at DACs myseff. All you probably want is probably want is 120dB SINAD but a lot of people have less. What is about these two DACs that you like? I've been looking at the Topping E70 (AKM version) and D70 Pro Sabre.

Last edited:
OP
D

doremo

I've tried my fair share of micro digital amplifiers, but I was never happy with the sound quality or sound stage. The sound was always thin and lacking in detail, and the soundstage was very narrow. I was starting to think that I would never find an amplifier that could deliver the immersive listening experience I was looking for.

Then, I did some research and found the Cambridge Audio CXA81 and CXN v2. These two amplifiers are highly regarded for their sound quality and sound stage, and I decided to give them a try. I'm so glad I did!

The CXA81 is a powerful amplifier that can drive even demanding speakers. It has a warm and detailed sound that is very engaging. The CXN v2 is a high-quality network streamer that can play a wide variety of music sources. It has a built-in DAC that can decode high-resolution audio files.

Together, the CXA81 and CXN v2 create a truly immersive listening experience. The soundstage is wide and deep, and the imaging is precise. I can hear all the details in my music, and I feel like I am right there in the recording studio.

If you are looking for an amplifier that will deliver outstanding sound quality and sound stage, I highly recommend the Cambridge Audio CXA81 and CXN v2. They are a great value for the money, and they will make your music sound amazing.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the D90se a couple of times and when I had the Topping e50 and D30pro at the same time, couldn't tell any audible difference. I'd buy just on features and connectivity. The AK4499 slow filter has some rolloff which is nice for bright headphones. On default filters, I don't think anyone could pass a blind test.

Roynuss

I've tried my fair share of micro digital amplifiers, but I was never happy with the sound quality or sound stage. The sound was always thin and lacking in detail, and the soundstage was very narrow. I was starting to think that I would never find an amplifier that could deliver the immersive listening experience I was looking for.

Then, I did some research and found the Cambridge Audio CXA81 and CXN v2. These two amplifiers are highly regarded for their sound quality and sound stage, and I decided to give them a try. I'm so glad I did!

The CXA81 is a powerful amplifier that can drive even demanding speakers. It has a warm and detailed sound that is very engaging. The CXN v2 is a high-quality network streamer that can play a wide variety of music sources. It has a built-in DAC that can decode high-resolution audio files.

Together, the CXA81 and CXN v2 create a truly immersive listening experience. The soundstage is wide and deep, and the imaging is precise. I can hear all the details in my music, and I feel like I am right there in the recording studio.

If you are looking for an amplifier that will deliver outstanding sound quality and sound stage, I highly recommend the Cambridge Audio CXA81 and CXN v2. They are a great value for the money, and they will make your music sound amazing.
I almost pulled the trigger on the CXN v2, but I went for the Eversolo DMP-A6 and SMSL VMV D1SE combo for functionality and versatility. I love the D1SE. It's neutral and natural done right. Just like the reviewer said at Goldensound and bought it based on his review. Everything he said, I found to be true. He also compares it briefly to the D90. Also, the PCM filters and sound color modes actually work on this chi-fi DAC.
Even though the D1SE2 has some upgrades, I doubt they're miles apart.

Top Bottom