• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element S + Topping D90SE vs. Matrix Element X

blanc

Hi,

I’m reading a Topping D90SE DAC Review at: https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-d90se-dac-review/. It seems the author rewards Matrix Element X as the best device: „comparing it with its predecessor and also with my own Matrix Audio Element X…which by the way, was never beaten at its own game…”

My question: Shall the combination „Matrix Element S (pure streamer) + D90SE“ have the similar sound quality as Matrix Element X? Can anyone make such a comparison?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a D90SE and the original one too and many others. The E70 velvet is my favorite just for the form factor and display is really easy to read. Flawless is flawless. If you want to save a bundle on a 5 volt DAC, I use the SMSL DL200 with a Topping A30 pro on it.
I had the Hifiman he6se past week and pushed it hard and didn't hear any clipping, neat combo.

JSmith

Master Contributor
My suggestion is stop reading that kind subjective nonsense type of "review".

Amir recently measured the X2 for example, the results of which are excellent;
The Element S is a streamer only... digital output to a DAC.

JSmith

OP
B

blanc

According to Amirm’s review D90SE is better than Element X2 DAC. What about the comparison between Element S and the digital part in Element X2? Element S is newer than Element X2 but can we conclude Element S is at least so good as the digital part in Element X2?

nUUK25

I've got a D90SE and the original one too and many others. The E70 velvet is my favorite just for the form factor and display is really easy to read. Flawless is flawless. If you want to save a bundle on a 5 volt DAC, I use the SMSL DL200 with a Topping A30 pro on it.
I had the Hifiman he6se past week and pushed it hard and didn't hear any clipping, neat combo.

Hi there, I have a Topping D90SE and four D90SE and a pair of (bi-amped) Martin Logan ESL Electromotion X .....seriously considering to buy the Matrix Audio Element S for Hi Res playback over USB and various streaming of cause ! Can any of you in this tread (or other members) tell me if D90SE and Elements S are mutually compatible with regard to any of the pin layouts for the I2S connection ? D90SE has 4 profiles to chose from ! Has anyone actually tried this connection setup for the two units ? :)
If I could chose between Element S (1629 € - new) and Element i2 (Second hand, with guarantee - 1216 €) which should i Chose ? - same external DAC use: Topping D90SE !

Top Bottom