• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 121 54.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 14.0%

• Total voters

Guilherme_BR

My setup:
- Sharp Roll-OFF
- Low OSR + HPC OFF

Information:
Today I put the PI2AES module back on the Raspberry Pi4. The I2S input of VMV D2R works with the I2S output of the PI2AES module. I could not use the I2S interface of the VMV D1SE with the Pi2AES module.
I'm using High OSR and HPC off. With i2s, I hear distortion and volume drop when HPC is ON. I checked and I am using the same i2s phase in the streamer (sd9). With usb I do not hear that, but Still prefer HPC off.

gizmo90

I did a blind test with the help of my wife with Sanskrit MKII and the VMV I did not pass. My ears aren't as good as I thought or DACs basically all the sound the same. I'm starting to think a lot of this stuff is in your head. I sold/selling my expensive cables too. I feel free! Used the money to get my wife and daughter some gifts, put some money into savings and got the Sanskrit MKIII. :)

Yamaha A-S1100, Wharfedale Lintons for the test.

Save your money for the speakers you want.

Last edited:

Celentano

I did a blind test with the help of my wife with Sanskrit MKII and the VMV I did not pass. My ears aren't as good as I thought or DACs basically all the sound the same. I'm starting to think a lot of this stuff is in your head. I sold/selling my expensive cables too. I feel free! Used the money to get my wife and daughter some gifts, put some money into savings and got the Sanskrit MKIII. :)

Yamaha A-S1100, Wharfedale Lintons for the test.

sometimes the bottleneck is in the chain after the DAC and that can be the reason that "DACs basically all the sound the same". Can you advise what is in your chain after the DAC , please? If the rest of the equipment is not super duper resolving than the DACs can sound the same way.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My ears aren't as good as I thought or DACs basically all the sound the same.

Congratulations for actually taking the time and making the effort. Most don't bother, and just keep chasing after silly stories.

The best advice you could give.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
sometimes the bottleneck is in the chain after the DAC and that can be the reason that "DACs basically all the sound the same". Can you advise what is in your chain after the DAC , please? If the rest of the equipment is not super duper resolving than the DACs can sound the same way.

It's more like, if you don't use even basic controls when you are doing your comparisons you are almost guaranteed to hear differences.

Why would you expect them to sound different?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
My setup:
- Sharp Roll-OFF
- Low OSR + HPC OFF

Information:
Today I put the PI2AES module back on the Raspberry Pi4. The I2S input of VMV D2R works with the I2S output of the PI2AES module. I could not use the I2S interface of the VMV D1SE with the Pi2AES module.
Why don't you use the USB port? Best transmission protocol, asynchronous with XU316 (is it the one used in the DAC) and ultra low jitter guaranteed.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
It's more like, if you don't use even basic controls when you are doing your comparisons you are almost guaranteed to hear differences.

Why would you expect them to sound different?
You cannot understand. It's an emotional personal way to receive the music. The most expansive gear give you this emotion. Not a 100$ DAC on inexpensive flat monitor speakers from Focal, Genelec or I don't know which brand. Is there any active monitor speakers with tube amplifier inside?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I don't understand clearly why subjectivists come here to give us lessons on equipment. Plenty of forums are here to describe the merits of, let's say, TotalDac for example.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
An example of emotion you can get from best equipment. Buy the TotalDac first and then read the measurements:

Guilherme_BR

Going back and forth between SU10 and D2R, I believe the measurements reflect the perceived sound performance, with SU10 being clearer and more detailed.

Celentano

Going back and forth between SU10 and D2R, I believe the measurements reflect the perceived sound performance, with SU10 being clearer and more detailed.
The real music material does not contain pure sine waves and not a product of two or three frequencies. How about importance of impulse and squire/saw shape of wave reconstruction? Sine wave reconstruction is sure also important but how about other types of waveform? Also it is important how our individual brain is interpreting the information from the electrical signals coming from hearing receptors in our ears...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Which measurements exactly?

Do you understand how very small those measured differences are?

Try it with some basic controls.

Also it is important how our individual brain is interpreting the information from the electrical signals coming from hearing receptors in our ears...

Which has nothing to do with the claims being made.

The real music material does not contain pure sine waves and not a product of two or three frequencies.

What does it contain? Are you trying to say your music has square waves?

How well do you understand the measurements done and what the numbers mean?

gizmo90

I was using the USB on a laptop for the tests.

I think the bottle neck in my case is the speakers. The Lintons are wonderful speakers, but I don't think they are the best thing around obviously.
I think the Sanskrit is a good match for me and my system. The D2R is great I just didn't really need it apparently. It did look pretty sweet in my hifi rack I will say that! :)

Beave

Major Contributor
The real music material does not contain pure sine waves and not a product of two or three frequencies. How about importance of impulse and squire/saw shape of wave reconstruction? Sine wave reconstruction is sure also important but how about other types of waveform? Also it is important how our individual brain is interpreting the information from the electrical signals coming from hearing receptors in our ears...

In the first sentence you state that the "real music does not contain pure sine waves...," as if to imply that testing using pure sine waves is insufficient.

In the very next sentence you ask about the importance of impulse response and square/saw shape? Well, let me tell you, if music doesn't contain pure sine waves, I can guarantee it also doesn't contain impulse functions or square waves or sawtooth waves.

So what exactly is the point you're trying to make? Your entire premise contradicts itself.

Rotel

Why don't you use the USB port? Best transmission protocol, asynchronous with XU316 (is it the one used in the DAC) and ultra low jitter guaranteed.
I am still looking for the perfect setup and environment (to use a wall diffuser or not) for the D2R DAC.
The sound is cleaner with the Pi4+PI2AES modul I2S interface than the Pi4 USB interface. Sometimes it is too clean and detailed.

PI2AES measurements:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still looking for the perfect setup and environment (to use a wall diffuser or not) for the D2R DAC.
The sound is cleaner with the Pi4+PI2AES modul I2S interface than the Pi4 USB interface. Sometimes it is too clean and detailed.

PI2AES measurements:
The whole review is pointless for your usecase:
Unfortunately I can’t measure the I2S output as the APx555 does not support differential/LVDS I2S, but as shown in my DDC video, the performance is absolutely stellar, and it did show measurably lower jitter in a J-Test than the already great performance coax output did. If you have I2S, definitely use it.
The I2S is straight from the Pis' I2S pins, only LVDS is added. The jitter on that will be quite horrible compared to the other outputs that go through the SPDIF transmitter and are PLL smoothed. The conclusion reached above doesn't make sense and only shows how irrelevant jitter is on transport!

Celentano

In the first sentence you state that the "real music does not contain pure sine waves...," as if to imply that testing using pure sine waves is insufficient.

In the very next sentence you ask about the importance of impulse response and square/saw shape? Well, let me tell you, if music doesn't contain pure sine waves, I can guarantee it also doesn't contain impulse functions or square waves or sawtooth waves.

So what exactly is the point you're trying to make? Your entire premise contradicts itself.
Reading all this all makes me just smile... :) I do not want to comment .... I just keep smiling... I would imaging for how long you would listen for a pure sine wave say around 1 kHz... I would appreciate if Amir can comment on all this... He is very educated person and I would definitely honer and value his opinion and his take.

Last edited:
Top Bottom