• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To monoblock or not to monoblock

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While I appreciate that on ASR, powered speakers are considered the ultimate answer, I just wondered if there is still a useful purpose for mono power amps, compared to stereo, in the situation where either is a possibility? (ie my own situation!)

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
None.
Don't waste your money on those.

Peace
Thanks Frantz
While I won't get rid of the ones I have been using for the last few years as I am perfectly happy with them, I will bear in mind your opinion should the need arise. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have strong reservations about the objective superiority of monoblocks vs the same amps packaged in stereo, for example. Be an interesting test. If Amir shot down the monoblock concept the Audiogon guys really would come for him lol.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I have strong reservations about the objective superiority of monoblocks vs the same amps packaged in stereo, for example. Be an interesting test. If Amir shot down the monoblock concept the Audiogon guys really would come for him lol.
Yes, I can't say that I could tell the difference between the Platinums and the stereo 909 they replaced! (Although I am pretty sure I must have told my beloved that I could hear an improvement) Oh, those dark pre-ASR days! :cool:

levimax

Major Contributor
Mono blocks are not really nessisary or practical but they are kind of cool in some settings. Cross talk is not an issue and you can locate them near your speakers to keep your speaker cables short. Probably not audible issues when compared to a well engineered stereo amp.

Scytales

Forum Donor
While I appreciate that on ASR, powered speakers are considered the ultimate answer, I just wondered if there is still a useful purpose for mono power amps, compared to stereo, in the situation where either is a possibility? (ie my own situation!)
Where loudspeakers a far apart from the electronic rack, it seems more sensible to put mono power amplifiers right next to each speaker and use long interconnects cables from a preamplifier output instead of using long speaker cables from a stereo (or multichannel) amp to the speakers. One can expect less level loss and high frequency attenuation with short speaker cables than with longer ones.

FeddyLost

I just wondered if there is still a useful purpose for mono power amps, compared to stereo, in the situation where either is a possibility?
Usually pair of monos is more expensive than stereo poweramp of approximately equal quality in product line (if such exist).
From another point of view they might be marginally better due to topology, better PSU and possibility of keeping speaker cables short.

But anyway user needs to decide according to declared specs, subjective audition results and existing possibilities.

sq225917

Major Contributor
You're paying for the cases and extra psu parts. You might get a little more power depending on how the psu is specced, you'll likely get very marginally better crosstalk, you might even get very slightly better thd+noise due to ease of layout and cabling, but none of these are guaranteed.

But you will get the satisfaction of having two boxes.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
With loudspeakers that have a very low, high frequency impedance, a monoblock amp very near each speaker is the way to go.
This is a situation where long cables may reduce high frequency response.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
I consider the mono configuration only for practical reasons because my front door and the passage is between the speakers and also for aesthetic reasons because my speakers being wide and raised 22cm they will be under the speakers. if not, I do not think there is a difference with a true double mono as for example the ATI 6002.

image_preview2

tomchris

Obviously preference. Separates vs. integrated.

If you look beyond necessity, practicality and price, it is an aesthetic and a somewhat behavioral decision.

It is like stick shift vs automatic. Just powering on a device, hearing the relays click, can be a delight, makes you feel 'in control'.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just wondered if there is still a useful purpose for mono power amps
Those who are concerned with the environment may connect a few worthy dots between monoblocks, internal combustion engines and global warming.
You can always lie to e-concerned ones and tell them that the monoblocks are ClassD and/or that you use 100% solar energy to drive them.:cool:

egellings

Major Contributor
The only time I could see using mono blocks is if the speakers are far away from the system electronics. In that setting, it would be easier to send a small signal to the speaker location via shielded cable, where the power amp for that speaker would be located. Long speaker cables could result in some loss because of the current they must conduct. A reasonably low impedance preamp output would have little problem driving a shielded cable of similar length.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Active Speakers = New Millennium Monoblocks

MAB

Major Contributor
I say "Yes" to Monoblock if it suits your need.
I have lots of monoblocks. I like these Marantz MA-500, got a bunch of them for cheap, and they can be slipped into different places. I heard the individual monoblocks test better than the 5-channel single-chassis equivalent, I have no idea if true. I can bridge pairs, so additional flexibility over some multi-channel amps. In my case, one going bad doesn't reduce the use of the 5-channel amp. And I had to recap two, but I have fifteen of them. They were an estate find from a home theater for $750.
1668638129696.jpeg

The Hypex DIY and March PuriFi amps are also monoblocks.
As are these 7B ST monoblocks. They power the subwoofers for a pair of active monitors. I could do the same
1668638965283.jpeg

So, if you are going to be an amp-hoarder, monoblock is not a bad way to go. Stereo is great too, especially many stereo can be bridged... so long as they are intrinsically stable at low impedance/high current. Like a bunch of Benchmark amps would be so useful.;)
I guess I am a little hesitant about multi-channel amps, even if it is typically cheaper per channel all other things equal. I doubt that a proper multi-channel gives up much performance to monoblocks. If I consistently needed a 3- or 5-channel amp I would consider one if it was a good value.

alex-z

Assuming the amp designer is competent, modern units do not suffer crosstalk problems when sharing a power supply and chassis. It is a good thing that multiple channels share a power supply, when one channel is lightly loaded, another can draw extra current.

Some people are correctly stating that monoblocks allow closer co-location of the speakers and amplification, reducing line noise and signal loss. However, the logical conclusion of this thinking is just integrating the amplification into the speaker itself.

Top Bottom