• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two semi-clean monoblocks VS. One super-clean 2-channel amp?

Abstracted

Which is better: Two monoblocks or one super clean 2 channel amp?

Details:

Monoblocks: 2x Aiyima A07 Max in mono. ($163 total including external 12V trigger | SINAD 89.)
Stereo amp: Topping PA7. ($290 open box with warranty | SINAD 102 with excellent channel separation.)

They'll be used to run front RL in my main system, with an Onkyo TX-RZ50 as the preouts.
I rarely play at reference levels.

Speakers: Gallo Strada 2: Sensitivity 90 dB, imp. 8 ohm but dips down to 3 ohms @ 20KHz:

New Record Day -Gallo-Acoustics-Strada-2-Measurements.png

Which is going to sound better?
(I'll leave "better" open to interpretation;))

staticV3

Master Contributor
The PA7 has more power, 15dB(!) less noise, better multitone performance, and no load dependency in the audible range thanks to PFFB.

While they may still sound the same, there's no contest which one is objectively better, imo.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Two mono blocks have better crosstalk measurement

Mono-block (separate) amplifiers are not necessarily better than a stereo amplifier, especially when the source is taken in consideration.

SonicSleuth

Undoubtedly they offer better channel separation, but the preamp is likely to still have a shared board / power supply, so unless you're going to dual mono everything, what be the point? Especially as you don't need the power as you've stated "I rarely listen at reference levels"

Top Bottom