• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo vs Dual channel vs Dual mono vs Monoblock

afinepoint

Forum Donor
I have a good grasp on stereo and monoblocks but is there a difference between dual channel and dual mono? Or are the same thing with different names?

Sounds like dual mono is two monoblocks under the same hood but sharing the same wall socket i.e. one power cord.

Is eliminating crosstalk a strong enough argument for monoblocks? Or just a minor step in search of the ideal amplifier/output.

Having punted the purchase of PS Audio M1200s it appears that even the stereo units from names like Hypex and Nord out perform the M1200 monoblocks for less money.

I just need a solid understanding of dual channel and dual mono design if different and benefits as well as disadvantages in order to intelligently navigate those sites and ask detailed questions.

A Hypex NC1200 is described as Monoblock yet has left and right inputs as well as left and right outputs. ???

I searched for a discussion on dual channel vs dual mono but came up dry. Perhaps they are one in the same.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I would assume it means separate amplifier boards and probably separate power supplies.

Is eliminating crosstalk a strong enough argument for monoblocks? Or just a minor step in search of the ideal amplifier/output.
With a good stereo amplifier there won't be any audible crosstalk, and no other audible defects or "weaknesses". There's no inherent technical advantage to monoblocks.

The main thing I'd look for in an amplifier is the power (but the specs aren't always honest) and possibly the noise (but noise measurements will vary depending on how they are done). I would expect frequency response and distortion to be better than human hearing unless it's over-driven into clipping.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You might be surprised to learn you cannot hear any difference in channel separation fo 20 db vs any larger number. So no, better channel separation or lower cross talk is not a good reason for monoblocks. A good reason might be needing very long cables so having monoblocks close to the speaker with short speaker cables can have some minor advantages.

Otherwise, channel separation is not a problem like almost ever. So whichever box fits your needs on power and other performance it is a non-issue on whether it is mono or not.

OP
A

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Sounds like dual mono is two monoblocks under the same hood but sharing the same wall socket i.e. one power cord.

Correct.

Is eliminating crosstalk a strong enough argument for monoblocks?

No. They give you the option of placing them next to your speakers, if you enjoy the aesthetics of that.

Some say the shorter speaker cables you get from this setup results in higher fidelity, but it doesn't really.

One real upside could be that monoblock builds often skimp less on the power supply size, meaning more headroom. Not a given though.

A Hypex NC1200 is described as Monoblock yet has left and right inputs as well as left and right outputs. ???

The NC1200 module itself is single channel. A stereo NC1200 amp just has two of the modules in the box.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still under the impression that the purpose of Monoblocks is simply to sell audiophiles two more expensive amplifiers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite likely in some cases... don't forget then two expensive and thick power cables instead of one. ;)

JSmith
I'm sure a Monoblock demands a much more boutique power cable :D

Sokel

Master Contributor
I am still under the impression that the purpose of Monoblocks is simply to sell audiophiles two more expensive amplifiers.
Depends,sometimes is practical with big ones (and I mean big).
It's easier to manage 40 kilos instead of 80.

(OCD_mode_on)
they look nice and symmetrical,shorter cables,easier load if they are 20amps outlet monsters,etc
(OCD_mode_off )

Otherwise no problem.

OP
A

afinepoint

Forum Donor
The NC1200 module itself is single channel. A stereo NC1200 amp just has two of the modules in the box.

Why is the VTV Hypex NC1200 stereo amplifier using two of the Hypex modules less expensive than the VTV Amplifier Monoblock Hypex NC1200?

The stereo list for $1389 - 1759. The mono is over $2000.

What am I missing?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is the VTV Hypex NC1200 stereo amplifier using two of the Hypex modules less expensive than the VTV Amplifier Monoblock Hypex NC1200?

The stereo list for $1389 - 1759. The mono is over $2000.

What am I missing?
That's for the special VTV vacuum tube buffer.

vtv_nc1200.png

The NC1200 monoblock using the standard Hypex buffer is $899 each.
vtv_nc1200_2.png

Last edited:
OP
A

afinepoint

Forum Donor
My understanding of buffers is they prevent load voltage and current fluctuations from affecting the input. True? Are there other methods?

Is there a significant advantage to a vacuum tube buffer over non. Noise?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My understanding of buffers is they prevent load voltage and current fluctuations from affecting the input. True?

No. Their main function is to bring the total voltage gain up to an accepted standard, meaning that if your source has a "hot" enough output, you might be able do do without the buffer. Sometimes the buffer also has a much higher input impedance than the amp module itself, making it easier to get a good impedance bridging to the source.

In my mind "load voltage and current fluctuations" sound like a convoluted attempt at describing an audio signal. You definitely don't want to prevent that :)

Is there a significant advantage to a vacuum tube buffer over non. Noise?

No. If the tube buffer is designed to add an audible "tube" distortion profile to the signal, then that's what you'll get. Some say it makes everything better. Some say it's a stupid party trick that goes against the whole idea of high-fidelity. Others say the entire "tube sound" thing is a myth. Be prepared for a heated debate if you want to explore the subject further.

It has no advantages in terms of signal integrity.

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
The power cable probably needs raisers too...
Yo dawg the power cable also needs its own power supply

radix

Major Contributor
I think "dual mono" and "monoblocks" all mean the same thing, and "stereo" = "dual channel". Of course, you could get a single mono amp and hook up two speakers in parallel (as long as the combined impedance is ok).. AFAIK, the only reason to do monoblocks with modern well-designed amps is to get more power out of it, for those that allow bridged mono. For example, I run 2x AHB2 amps to get more power and headroom out of them. As others have said, I don't think crosstalk is an issue.

Sam Lord

I think "dual mono" and "monoblocks" all mean the same thing, and "stereo" = "dual channel". Of course, you could get a single mono amp and hook up two speakers in parallel (as long as the combined impedance is ok).. AFAIK, the only reason to do monoblocks with modern well-designed amps is to get more power out of it, for those that allow bridged mono. For example, I run 2x AHB2 amps to get more power and headroom out of them. As others have said, I don't think crosstalk is an issue.
Dual mono _implies_ two fully independent channels, each having a separate power supply. But there are several possible levels of dualism. Here are configurations, from most to least, in an amp with linear power supplies: 1) two separate amps in one chassis; 2) two separate sets of PS transformer secondary windings feeding separate PS circuits; and 3) two sets of PS rectifiers feeding separate filter capacitor banks. Anything less than the last configuration should be avoided for audio. My preferred solution is vertical biamping, where a stereo amp feeds each speaker with two identical channels for different transducers. There are lots of advantages to this practice, especially in these days of cheap amplification. You have stereo separation as good as your upstream system can deliver, your amps' power supplies are used to their best potential, and you only need very short speaker cables. The last part helps especially with class D amps to take best advantage of their ultra-low output impedance.

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
Dual mono _implies_ two fully independent channels, each having a separate power supply. But there are several possible levels of dualism. Here are configurations, from most to least, in an amp with linear power supplies: 1) two separate amps in one chassis; 2) two separate sets of PS transformer secondary windings feeding separate PS circuits; and 3) two sets of PS rectifiers feeding separate filter capacitor banks. Anything less than the last configuration should be avoided for audio. My preferred solution is vertical biamping, where a stereo amp feeds each speaker with two identical channels for different transducers. There are lots of advantages to this practice, especially in these days of cheap amplification. You have stereo separation as good as your upstream system can deliver, your amps' power supplies are used to their best potential, and you only need very short speaker cables. The last part helps especially with class D amps to take best advantage of their ultra-low output impedance.
Biamping is only usefull when the filter is before the amps, so the amps are direct coupled to the speaker drivers (no filters or only a security cap on the tweeter). Otherwise it's a wast of amp power. It's promoted (biamping on speakers with passive crossovers) by many in the audiophool world altough, but mainly because they can sell more amps that way.

And a well engineered stereo amp with one psu is normally as good as a dual mono like you describe. But then the psu must be more powerfull than what the amp needs and the engineering needs to be right done to eliminate crosstalk, what is often an issue with stereo amps. The builders wants to reduce the costs and so cuts corners to get there, with as result crosstalk that is to high or even worse, sagging of the amp because the psu can't deliver the juice needed. With a dual mono (or monoblocks) you're more sure to avoid those issues, but it's not the only way, and no guarantee to success neighter (even a monoblock can sag).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends,sometimes is practical with big ones (and I mean big).
It's easier to manage 40 kilos instead of 80.

(OCD_mode_on)
they look nice and symmetrical,shorter cables,easier load if they are 20amps outlet monsters,etc
(OCD_mode_off )

Otherwise no problem.
That's a fair point. I built my speakers in modules for that reason.

Top Bottom