• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

alucardlin

I would like to seek opinions for this DAC

I'm using Audient id14 mkii for two speakers iloud MTM. I never tried a dedicated DAC. So I am not sure if there will be significant improvement from Smsl D6, comparing to my current Audient id14.

i know id14 is more expensive because it has ADC and headphone amplifier. i just wanted to compare the DAC part.

I learned from other forum L7 lab that id14 has some multi tone issue. Thats why i'm a bit hesitated with Audient DAC functionality. However, its dynamic range is 126dB, higher than smsl d6 123dB.

Really appreciated if someone give me more ideas/sugguestions!

WhyNotHad

Yeah if you are not going to use Bluetooth I would say that the e50 is hard to beat. While the mqa licensing seems to be looked down upon in this forum; I have now had the chance to experience it and can say that it definitely does sound better versus standard streaming (like Spotify, YouTube music, Tidal standard / cd quality, Amazon music streaming). I found it apparant in classical music the most.

Also using software to do the unfolding doesn't seem to result in the same experience. As I just tested this side by side the other day and then even got my wife to do some blind listening.
She accurately picked out the tidal mqa master 9/10 times while using the topping ex5.
She couldn't pick it out most of the time through my topping DX7+THX AAA 789 w/ tidal doing the unfolding.
However she also can't pick out the DX7+THX VS the Ex5 when level matched (which is hard to do it seems).
My wife has a background in music (specifically classical and jazz) but isn't an "experienced listener" or audiophile . She enjoys my headphones from time to time but doesn't have a stationary job where she can utilize audiophile stuff.

So if you are like me and do streaming; it is a way to have better than standard audio quality.

Thank you for your sharing, bro

I can't tell whether MQA IS THE BETTER WAY to do or not, but enjoy my E50's displaying a MQA mark on the screen as well.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thank you for your sharing, bro

I can't tell whether MQA IS THE BETTER WAY to do or not, but enjoy my E50's displaying a MQA mark on the screen as well.
What do you play? TIDAL master? Or do you have another source of mqa?
I would like to seek opinions for this DAC

I'm using Audient id14 mkii for two speakers iloud MTM. I never tried a dedicated DAC. So I am not sure if there will be significant improvement from Smsl D6, comparing to my current Audient id14.

i know id14 is more expensive because it has ADC and headphone amplifier. i just wanted to compare the DAC part.

I learned from other forum L7 lab that id14 has some multi tone issue. Thats why i'm a bit hesitated with Audient DAC functionality. However, its dynamic range is 126dB, higher than smsl d6 123dB.

Really appreciated if someone give me more ideas/sugguestions!
Factory specs mean little from companies not known to measure them accurately. Even smsl products don't always meet the measured claims.

WhyNotHad

What do you play? TIDAL master? Or do you have another source of mqa?

Factory specs mean little from companies not known to measure them accurately. Even smsl products don't always meet the measured claims.
I used to listen to music on Tidal Master

After coming across the MQA-lossy/lossless issues,
I get to use HIFI (not MQA unfolding) after paying for Tidal Master
I don't know what is more accurate information tho

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I used to listen to music on Tidal Master

After coming across the MQA-lossy/lossless issues,
I get to use HIFI (not MQA unfolding) after paying for Tidal Master
I don't know what is more accurate information tho
So far no artist I listen to sounds better on hifi (or Spotify premium) VS master with direct mqa unfolding.
MQA master unfolded by tidal into my non mqa Dac though sounds the same basically as Spotify premium. It is only when I have my Ex5 do the straight unfolding that it's clearly better.
So far I've listened to Lang Lang, Martin Frost (just one album though, suggested on this site), Ludovico Einaudi, Headhunterz, Logic, and a few others. I find that only some of the older albums (which clearly weren't recorded in hifi) don't really have a difference... Or the difference is so subtle that you have to go look. However newer music /
recorded in hifi; sounds amazing! The increase in dynamic range is quite apparant, as well as more detailed voices, better channel separation (if so recorded this way), etc.

rob755

Forum Donor
I am very happy with mine despite some oddities in the beginning. Doing better at the moment but I am a fan of its sound with my system.

Artzox

Has anyone tried adjusting the setting in Roon which allows the DAC to reconfigure after codec changes to get rid of the pops when changing a track?

NexusOne

So a SMSL SU-9 has got an older remote, a colder chip (ESS) but a coloured display. The D6 costs 1/3 the price. They cannibalize their own product. A SMSL SU-9 doesn't make sense anymore?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So a SMSL SU-9 has got an older remote, a colder chip (ESS) but a coloured display. The D6 costs 1/3 the price. They cannibalize their own product. A SMSL SU-9 doesn't make sense anymore?
I would argue this is how much of the audio world is.
Higher end product has more features (like a color screen, volume wheel, mqa, etc)

RimaLV2

I changed my combo from L50 + D-6 to the newest budget Topping combo L30 II + E30 II, so far so good. No more pop and click noise shenanigans, the amp is also better than the L50 so there is nothing to lose (except balanced, but honestly, it's a budget combo for a reason). After listening to the E30 II, I'm pretty sure that I prefer the AKM4493s much more than my current ESS9038Q2M. If SMSL is not fixing that pop noise and you don't really need balanced+bluetooth, I would recommend the E30 II as an alternative :D

Last edited:

Artzox

I changed my combo from L50 + D-6 to the newest budget Topping combo L30 II + E30 II, so far so good. No more pop and click noise shenanigans, the amp is also better than the L50 so there is nothing to lose (except balanced, but honestly, it's a budget combo for a reason). After listening to the E30 II, I'm pretty sure that I prefer the AKM4493s much more than my current ESS9038Q2M. If SMSL is not fixing that pop noise and you don't really need balanced+bluetooth, I would recommend the E50 II as an alternative :D
Thanks, maybe add a linear psu or an ifi power and will be great :)

rob755

Forum Donor
For those on the fence about this unit and the ESS versus AKM (new “velvet” series) debate I thought I would share my preferences (I’ve got to stress for my ears, through my system…;) I had my E50 here, which so far had been my favorite when I bought the D6 and after listening comparisons I sold the E50 and I am keeping the D6 . I am not a fan of MQA as well as far as needing the E50 for that. I actually have on order an E30 II for a second system that’s on its way from China. I will keep whichever one I like more in my main system. But I do use a balanced TI 3255 based amp, and also use the second set of outputs for my two sealed subs, So unless the topping sounds better I will most likely stay with the D6.

Last edited:

RimaLV2

For those on the fence about this unit and the ESS versus AKM (new “velvet” series) debate I thought I would share my preferences (I’ve got to stress for my ears, through my system…;) I had my E50 here, which so far had been my favorite when I bought the D6 and after listening comparisons I sold the E50 and I am keeping the D6 . I am not a fan of MQA as well as far as needing the E50 for that. I actually have on order an E30 II for a second system that’s on its way from China. I will keep whichever one I like more in my main system. But I do use a balanced TI 3255 based amp, and also use the second set of outputs for my two sealed subs, So unless the topping sounds better I will most likely stay with the D6.
Agree, I really like the E50 but the E30-II is $100 cheaper and I don't need Bluetooth, Balanced and MQA so it's a no-brainer for me to choose E30 II.

Also, you need to use balanced in order to get the best result for the D-6, which is not in the case of E30 II
D-6 RCA: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-balanced-stereo-usb-dac-png.222207/
D-6 TRS Balanced: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-balanced-stereo-usb-dac-png.222208/

E30 II: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-e30ii-dac-usb-measurement-stereo-png.220705/

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, maybe add a linear psu or an ifi power and will be great :)
‘cleaner power‘ won’t give you any benefits. Just watch Amir‘s videos on that topic

nerone

In my vintage system I use the E30 with power bank and the two rear screws slightly unscrewed.
That way I like the way it sounds more

Top Bottom