• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

NexusOne

I have a dual 9038q2m dac too. And they are both equal in quality when level matched

A difficult decission. I don't need Bluetooth or a pre-amp and I will connect it with the TV. On the other hand you have 2 remotes (I don't like too much remotes) but you can switch it off and the Topping is always on if the TV is on. Maybe a disadvantage if you don't use the headphone. And the Su-9 is very expensive and it is not necessary.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I didn't feel any 'big' difference between the two. It would be wiser to say that there is no difference in listening to music. There's a limit to human hearing, so we can only talk about what subtle differences there are. Limitation.

The sound of the E50 which I felt is a little bit cleaner and a little bit more layered, but it's just a subjective feeling, and I think it's hard for most people to feel the difference between the D-6 and E50.

The E50 has MQA unfolding function and does not have Bluetooth function. It seems a little wiser to note these differences. (Aside from the issue of whether MQA is the right way to do it)
Yeah if you are not going to use Bluetooth I would say that the e50 is hard to beat. While the mqa licensing seems to be looked down upon in this forum; I have now had the chance to experience it and can say that it definitely does sound better versus standard streaming (like Spotify, YouTube music, Tidal standard / cd quality, Amazon music streaming). I found it apparant in classical music the most.

Also using software to do the unfolding doesn't seem to result in the same experience. As I just tested this side by side the other day and then even got my wife to do some blind listening.
She accurately picked out the tidal mqa master 9/10 times while using the topping ex5.
She couldn't pick it out most of the time through my topping DX7+THX AAA 789 w/ tidal doing the unfolding.
However she also can't pick out the DX7+THX VS the Ex5 when level matched (which is hard to do it seems).
My wife has a background in music (specifically classical and jazz) but isn't an "experienced listener" or audiophile . She enjoys my headphones from time to time but doesn't have a stationary job where she can utilize audiophile stuff.

So if you are like me and do streaming; it is a way to have better than standard audio quality.

rob755

Forum Donor
Hi, Someone had added a link to an updated owners more complete manual a while back and I was able to open and view but is no longer available it says. Any help getting a line on a full(er) users guide? Thanks!

NV3S

Hi, Someone had added a link to an updated owners more complete manual a while back and I was able to open and view but is no longer available it says. Any help getting a line on a full(er) users guide? Thanks!
Sorry the attachment was too big I had to use an external link

carlcamper

rob755

Forum Donor
Hi, Thanks yes I’ve seen that but I still don’t see the filter explanations in English as I had before, Am I missing something?

NV3S

Hi, Thanks yes I’ve seen that but I still don’t see the filter explanations in English as I had before, Am I missing something?
The official website is still not updated, you can refer to the file in my link, it is updated.

Tod

I have been using this DAC for a couple of weeks and it worked fine until yesterday.
For no obvious reason, the remote no longer changes the volume although it appears to function normally otherwise. I don’t know if the knob on the DAC should change the volume also (the instruction manual doesn’t cover this), but the volume remains stuck on ‘17’ and I can’t tell if the fault is with the DAC or the remote.
I’m using the DAC with a power amp that has no volume control, so my system is crippled without this function.
Can anybody help?

NexusOne

Does the knob move if you change the volume and does the dac save the settings so that you don‘t have to put it on 99 for the amplifier? I hope there will be some videos soon.

Tod

Try changing the battery in the remote.
I have changed the batteries and other functions of the remote are working normally. It’s only the volume control that isn’t responding.

Could any users of the D-6 advise if the knob on the DAC changes volume (and if so, how)?

(The User Manual is inadequate.)

carlcamper

I have changed the batteries and other functions of the remote are working normally. It’s only the volume control that isn’t responding.

Could any users of the D-6 advise if the knob on the DAC changes volume (and if so, how)?

(The User Manual is inadequate.)
I think Pr1 is the only mode that allows volume change.
Screenshot_20220802-221224_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

NexusOne

At first i wanted to buy the D10B but i think the D6 makes more sense:

D10B:

0,2V Rms more
automatically on
a bit cheaper
smaller

D6:
Pre-amplifier-mode
Remote
Power button
Cinch
Usb
Brightness setting
Filter
Bluetooth

My questions are:
- Is the Bluetooth Dongle included?
- What‘s the tone setting?
- Is the ES or AK chip better or no difference?
- So a Su-9 doesn‘t make sense anymore because you can do everything with the D6 and it is much cheaper.
- With the Su-9 i could use the remote from the Sh9. But I have to Push ABC to change the device? And with the D6 i use both of the remotes or is it also possible to use one of them?

Top Bottom