• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SU-6 + RME ADi2 DAC FS V3

666jopo666

Hello,
please I have questions about the connection between USB DDC Bridge Singxer SU-6 and RME ADi2 DAC FS V3 (ES9028Q2M).

1) Do I need to install the Singxer SU-6 drivers on Windows 10 Pro if I stream from a PC? If so, what is the latest driver and how do I set it up correctly? Do I need to set any of the switches on the bottom of the SU-6 as well? // Currently, the SU-6 reports as an audio device by default without the need to install drivers.

2) Which protocols are the best to connect the SU-6 and the RME? // I now have both devices connected by an RCA SPDIF coaxial cable.

3) What is the best way to set both devices in Windows 10 Pro to work together flawlessly at the highest possible audio resolution (bit depth and sample rate)? // I have the latest RME MADIFace driver installed where I have it set to 768kHz/32bit. If I connect the RME to the SU-6 via a coax cable, the 24bit/192kHz sound setting still plays for me in Win 10. That is on RME it appears in the lower right corner of 192kHz. However, the higher resolution does not play anymore. The SU-6 should be able to forward up to 384kHz/24bit (SPDIF & AES/EBU : PCM up to 24bit 384kHz, DSD up to DSD128 (DoP)).

4) Does anyone have experience with connecting a better converter than the RME in combination with the Singxer SU-6, e.g. via an I2S cable? I was looking at the Gustard X26 PRO or the Singxer SDA-6 PRO2 Balanced DAC or some newer DAC? But I'd like to keep RME for its PEQ paramerlic equalization features. This feature is invaluable for tuning the frequency response of any headphone. SU-6 can achieve the following values by connecting to I2S: PCM up to 32bit 384kHz, Native DSD up to DSD512.

5) Is there a difference in sound quality when streaming from a PC or from a streamer? Is the EverSolo DMP-A8 or DMP-A6 Master Edition streamer/DAC/preamp worth investing in? Or a WiiM Pro Plus streamer or Wiim Ultra streaming hub? // I also use the PC to play movies and other audio files, i.e. multimedia.

Thanks for any valuable advice and answers.

2) Which protocols are the best to connect the SU-6 and the RME?
Easy.

Sell the Singxer SU-6, which is completely useless here, and use the state-of-the-art USB input of the ADI-2 DAC.

The end.

5) Is there a difference in sound quality when streaming from a PC or from a streamer?
No.
Is the EverSolo DMP-A8 or DMP-A6 Master Edition streamer/DAC/preamp worth investing in?
No, unless you have a specific need for a standalone streamer. And I mean : features-wise, not about sound. If your only source of music is your PC, then a simple DAC is fine.

This does not make sense at all. PC>RME adi-2 is as good as it gets.

And in my case, can't the Singxer SU-6 at least play the role of galvanic separation of the USB 2.0 connection? I have the impression that the RME does not have a galvanically isolated USB input. Is it true?

I use the RME ADI-2 DAC only as a DAC and send the signal symmetrically via XLR to the Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifier and from it symmetrically to the Adam Audio T5V active speakers.

And in my case, can't the Singxer SU-6 at least play the role of galvanic separation of the USB 2.0 connection? I have the impression that the RME does not have a galvanically isolated USB input. Is it true?

I use the RME ADI-2 DAC only as a DAC and send the signal symmetrically via XLR to the Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifier and from it symmetrically to the Adam Audio T5V active speakers.
Why the SA1 in the chain and not rme hp out to headphone, rme xlr to monitors?

I use the RME ADI-2 DAC only as a DAC and send the signal symmetrically via XLR to the Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifier and from it symmetrically to the Adam Audio T5V active speakers
Yet another useless gear, I regret. The ADI-2 DAC is already perfectly fine as a preamp.
I have the impression that the RME does not have a galvanically isolated USB input. Is it true?
Its USB input is 100% clean and never catched any noise from a PC, with any system or configuration I paired several RME DACs with. I'm not sure what you're worried about here.

Why the SA1 in the chain and not rme hp out to headphone, rme xlr to monitors?
I tried both variants and the connection of active monitors and HiFiMAN Arya Stealth headphones is much better via the Singxer SA-1 than via the RME. Singxer SA-1 has 0.66µV @ Niveau de sortie max, SNR / DNR 147dB. It has an absolutely black background. It really is a better headphone amp than the RME ADI-2 DAC. Tested for several months on my own ears.

Singxer SA-1 has 0.66µV @ Niveau de sortie max, SNR / DNR 147dB.
So they claim. Quite less in reality :
1000031911.png

Noise performance at low levels is absolutely (audibly) similar with the ADI-2 DAC :
1000031912.png

It really is a better headphone amp than the RME ADI-2 DAC. Tested for several months on my own ears.
That is where you got it wrong. Probably tested incorrectly, my guess is that you've been confused interpreting different Gain and volume behaviour for different sound quality. You could not pick up one over the other if both output are level matched. That I guarantee.

Same remarks for preamp outputs.

Yet another useless gear, I regret. The ADI-2 DAC is already perfectly fine as a preamp.

Its USB input is 100% clean and never catched any noise from a PC, with any system or configuration I paired several RME DACs with. I'm not sure what you're worried about here.
Please, if you know so much about RME. Do you happen to know which crystal oscillators the RME ADI-2 DAC uses? And which FPGA?

3) What is the best way to set both devices in Windows 10 Pro to work together flawlessly at the highest possible audio resolution (bit depth and sample rate)? // I have the latest RME MADIFace driver installed where I have it set to 768kHz/32bit. If I connect the RME to the SU-6 via a coax cable, the 24bit/192kHz sound setting still plays for me in Win 10. That is on RME it appears in the lower right corner of 192kHz. However, the higher resolution does not play anymore. The SU-6 should be able to forward up to 384kHz/24bit (SPDIF & AES/EBU : PCM up to 24bit 384kHz, DSD up to DSD128 (DoP)).
If you are going PC-USB- SU6- Coax-RME how do you expect the settings in Madiface driver to have any impact on what the RME receives? Its not connected to the PC

@666jopo666 Feel free to do your own experiments. And please keep us all posted on the measured results regarding further improvement of jitter.

Last edited:
If you are going PC-USB- SU6- Coax-RME how do you expect the settings in Madiface driver to have any impact on what the RME receives? Its not connected to the PC
If I only connect the RME via USB, then the maximum settings of the audio device can be used in MADIface: 384kHz sample rate and 16384 samples buffer size (latency).
If I connect the USB to the Singxer SU-6 (no driver, just plug and play) and connect a coaxial cable from it to the RME, then the maximum playback in Win 10 can be used in the sound settings: 24bits/192kHz.
Haven't used Tidal, Spotify or foobar2000, AIMP2 yet. I'm currently playing music via YouTube.

Attachments

• SU6_1_inside.jpg
    SU6_1_inside.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • SU6_2_inside.jpg
    SU6_2_inside.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • SU6_3_inside.jpg
    SU6_3_inside.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • SU6_4_inside.jpg
    SU6_4_inside.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • SU6_5_oscillators.jpg
    SU6_5_oscillators.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 60
SU-6 using two CRYSTEK's CCHD-957-25 (45.1584Mhz and 49.152Mhz) high-performance femtosecond crystal oscillators, with the self-developed constant temperature system. And using same FPGA as RME, Xilinx SPARTAN-6.
Cool. Does it matter? (No.)

Surely Singxer would have some graphs showing increased fidelity out of a DAC, to convince customers to spend $700 on a DDC, right?

Cool. Does it matter? (No.)

Surely Singxer would have some graphs showing increased fidelity out of a DAC, to convince customers to spend $700 on a DDC, right?
I definitely don't want to argue, but I think it matters. It also depends on how much you buy the Singxer SU-6 for. I certainly didn't pay $700 for it :) It cost me half.

Back
Top Bottom