• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding my setup post #636 above, two of my audio enthu friends in Japan cordially contacted me by e-mail asking for backside wiring (jungle?) photos of PCs-DACs-amplifiers and also backside photos of SPs; they said that the photos would be better to be added in that post #636.

Accordingly, I edited/added further four photos in the post #636. I do hope the added four photos would be quite self-explanatory...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Accordingly, I edited/added further four photos in the post #636. I do hope the added four photos would be quite self-explanatory...
Thanks for putting that up.
I'm glad they didn't ask for photos of my wiring snake-pit. :p

Ordin Aryguy

minimalism

1: a style or technique (as in music, literature, or design) that is characterized by extreme spareness and simplicity.

In engineering we had another term that was loosely related to minimalism, elegant. An elegant design is one that works perfectly for the intended purpose, yet has no extraneous component or complexity. It lacks for nothing for its purpose, and has nothing beyond exactly what is required to perform its purpose.

My system isn't quite at the level of elegant, but I'm slowly easing my way in that direction. As for electronics, I'm essentially there. My audio room lacks some sound treatment, but I'll get to that when I know exactly what is required and nothing more... Even as it stands today, I'm astounded with how incredible this all sounds!

As a kid, many, many years ago, I used to frequent an audio store back in West Palm Beach. It was there that I first heard what were then called Magnaplaners. Standing there, hearing what I did, and looking that those elegant speakers has stuck with me all these years. I remember being enveloped in the beautiful sound, the amazing details in the music that I'd never knew existed, and wanting those speakers as bad as I did Roxanne F from 1st period English class in 8th grade.

40+ years after my teenage exposure to Maggies, my wife (not Roxanne F) and myself have bought a house with a "bonus room" over the garage. The rest of the house can be hers, but this room is mine... And she told me I can "buy those new speakers you've been researching." Those were the newest, little Magnepans, the LRS's.

For months I was powering them with an old Onkyo AVR that I had bought many years earlier from a Russian gangster (for real) from a Craiglist ad. That Onyko did ok, but I knew there was much more to be had sonically. So the search was on.

The first thing I ended up buying was a subwoofer to fill in the sub 50Hz area that the LRS's just can't dig down into. Costco was running a special on the Klipsch R-12SW, and after reading the spec's on it, knew that it would fit the bill without creating a big bill. And it was good. And still is. This sub lacks for nothing in my room, with the LRS's.

The search for a new amplifier started with figuring out the real requirements are for me, in my space, with my preferences. What what is the maximum SPL that I really ever listen to? A simple, free phone app told me that I never listen above the mid to high 80dBs. Step one complete.

In my listening seat (cheap plastic Adirondack chair) my ears are roughly 3 meters from the speakers. Step two complete.

Looking the impedance curve for the LRS's, they have a relatively flat impedance across the audio spectrum of slightly under 4 Ohms, with a little dip down towards 3 ohms in one place. Their phase across the audio range barely changes. These things are about as close to a resistive load as one could get without having the Yellow, Black, Black resistor color code painted on them. Step three complete.

The LRS's sensitivity came right from the Magnepan specs. It's rated at 86dB at 2.83V. The normal convention for speaker sensitivity is to rate the speakers 1W. I like the way Magnepan does their rating as it accounts for speaker impedance, whereas other mfr's do not. Regardless, at 1W the LRS's are 83dB. Step four complete.

Using the Crown Audio calculator and plugging in the above "known" values, I determined that something capable of 80 "clean" watts meets all the requirements, and of course capable of driving ~4 Ohm loads. Step five done.

Can any of you ASR'ers think of an amp that meets those requirements? Yeah, you're right, I bought the amp that no one would ever expect or image would work with Magenpans, the Aiyima A07, and work well it does! Even at the highest levels I ever listen to the amp barely warms to the touch. It's an amazing little piece of gear. Sonically, there's nothing it seems to not be able to bring to life.

Next up was to get a DAC so I could use the optical output of my Onkyo CD player (another Craigslist purchase from yet another Russian) so as to be lossless and also be using a more modern DAC than is in the Onkyo CD player. The MiniDSP 2x4HD does that and oh so much more.

So in my case the MiniDSP is a DAC (from the CD output), a PEQ with amazing flexibility, and performs a great job with subwoofer integration. It's another piece of gear that I'm blown away by.

That's it in total. For now. Room treatment is eventually in order. Then maybe an Amazon Fire tablet to use as a USB streamer to the MiniDSP. Maybe... But nothing more than required. Elegance.

Attachments

• PXL_20211122_135129671.jpg
    PXL_20211122_135129671.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 265
  • PXL_20211122_135225961.jpg
    PXL_20211122_135225961.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 259
  • PXL_20211122_135241601.jpg
    PXL_20211122_135241601.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Elegance of design, to me, means that the solution not only works, but does so in a creative, even artistic way, often with excellent aesthetics that are built-in to the approach, rather than decorations added later.

I think the word you are looking for is "sybaritic"--rather purposely spartan.

One of my requirements is flexibility, because this is a hobby so serving a use case where I'm always trying new things. That means lots of open connectivity, while still preserving fundamental functionality. I think you would find this the opposite of minimalism :) (This is just a snippet of the main system at Chez Denney--below this is the PEQ, the cassette deck, and two amps on lower shelves. And then there's the open-reel deck and the turntable to either side.)

Front-panel-in-stack.JPEG

Plus, I'm old and need a comfy chair, plus a side table on which to set my single-malt.

Rick "we all define minimalism differently, ha!" Denney

Ordin Aryguy

Elegance of design, to me, means that the solution not only works, but does so in a creative, even artistic way, often with excellent aesthetics that are built-in to the approach, rather than decorations added later.

One of my requirements is flexibility, because this is a hobby so serving a use case where I'm always trying new things. That means lots of open connectivity, while still preserving fundamental functionality.
Plus, I'm old and need a comfy chair, plus a side table on which to set my single-malt.

We absolutely agree. As our personal requirements are very different, our equipment choices also differ to fit them. Neither are right, and neither are wrong. Just as with the other 7+ billion people that inhabit this big blue marble, we're all uniquely different.

The wide, flat arms on that Adirondack chair are a built in table for a low ball glass of Blade and Bow, a wonderfully hazy NEIPA, or even a ham and cheese sandwich. Kinda elegant design that chair ;)

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Godataloss

I'll play- Minidsp SHD, Buckey Amps NC252MP, Parks Audio Budgie with nos Mullard 6922s, Modified VPI HW 19 with Ortofon Black on a Rega RB 300- windows laptop and Chromecast Audio for digital.
Speakers are modified Ramblin' Rose Klipschorns. No original drivers. Volti Audio Passive crossovers. BMS 4592nd mids on Volti Audio Edgar Horns. Fostex t500a MK III tweeters, Crites Audio woofers. I also picked up a pair of Silverline Audio Technology Sonata MKIIIs this weekend, hooked up here for a quick listen- still not sure what I'm going to do with them, but damn they are beautiful speakers. I own lots of vintage audio and have a special place in my heart for Scott gear. I own a pair of museum worthy 210fs and a 340a as well as some Fisher and Dynaco amps. Next step will be building a dedicated audio room.

WpbPfc5q6oCc6izWUiNuKB2lTOarGMDhI9sSNxB_v5_eX87yO-E89N1bHnEg6b8mQCXjzTs5QOVxLQJj46JUbjzLtorjVXspjINlXUR2ccEtVxcBG-4NkxObSO06g_KkH8frWDTsA_a5XaiR2C6Ly6ECHpz28sMxIavdcjEmPiymlFii-t1tT1WT9EGuS7X6UtJuVPhVrGSnYiUM0WQShJIOrYipsRUcpsuUHRWSA8BRqhuUzBMLChQOuea2d-0Iw7VOJUlmSul5UMy8r5UdvN2qyq4b1ics4ZUU4hzVZUm4AQlpYPh8pTBfhg-jaXUY49jzyJxV2DakwNNknEx5AlYzFQf1nGaWXr0dkh4rw_LAknFUI3paqCJkZnE9stevl6YhXQ_EyTwG6e1yS-Mq8ivOkrfhHiv21fp4iqB8Qw62FQHy2iGp0pGhcrgRz4RUIk3fbAQYlf4hhMFO42iFWQ5MOXbNTL5-hciOMEMBqxFZaod5svBNa0Ymi2FQKeGkDMmF-0q-LpMRNVc5csxN1l5XKIbNlqcu8dVp-vHu99nP6IVJuvNVKWKMjV9Ep65PePXElueVZ9TrNQ9HELPqwIDxk0ivddI6F4HPgwFdh8efQdqnMnRObOumnv8_zjFRmf_Ppj2MGTgkGZ6fD1T3zA0lN3URHHUbR02vWOp3WKv8JUfjGye_C1YSpbhlUrWJtdZ1cqLlNCOQnEMuzbM8QOfGaA=w1897-h1067-no

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do hope the added four photos would be quite self-explanatory...
This question is NOT a nit:
Does your usage of "low-cut" same as my "high-pass" (and your "high-cut" = my "low-pass")?
Amen!
I come from the neck of the woods where the operative design words were K.I.S.S. but it was easier said than done.
Some would even argue "Form-Fits-Function" design ethos.
Ergo; ergonomics!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A few nice additions to our owners kits today, thanks guys.
@Godataloss, please try to fix your photo submission. I'd love to see those custom K-Horns.
Always been a fan of Volti Audio and their offerings in both Klipsch upgrades and complete speakers.
I've heard them at a number of shows and thought they sounded amazing.

Godataloss

A few nice additions to our owners kits today, thanks guys.
@Godataloss, please try to fix your photo submission. I'd love to see those custom K-Horns.
Always been a fan of Volti Audio and their offerings in both Klipsch upgrades and complete speakers.
I've heard them at a number of shows and thought they sounded amazing.
Huh, there is no indication on my end that there is an issue with the photo. Greg (of Volti Audio) is an amazing cabinet maker. The build quality on these Silverlines is top notch too. They are very hard to photograph and convey what they look like in person.
khorn2.jpg
khorns.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Huh, there is no indication on my end that there is an issue with the photo.
??? These work in any case.
That's some beautiful woodwork on both.
The Silverlines look so small compared to the KHorns LOL
Nice room for the cornerhorns, bet they sound awesome
Thanks again

Godataloss

??? These work in any case.
That's some beautiful woodwork on both.
The Silverlines look so small compared to the KHorns LOL
Nice room for the cornerhorns, bet they sound awesome
Thanks again
The Silverlines are 120lbs each too, lol.

Thank you for the kind words. I know this approach is antithetical to a lot of the folks on here. I just remind myself, I was young and knew everything there was worth knowing at one time too. Now I just know what I like ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know this approach is antithetical to a lot of the folks on here.
You'd be surprised, there's a lot of horn lovers here, both of modern and classic designs.
I've owned Klipsch La Scalas, HSU HB-1 Mk2, and currently JBL HDI-3600 plus a half dozen of other classics before I retired and still had room for multiple systems.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This question is NOT a nit:
Does your usage of "low-cut" same as my "high-pass" (and your "high-cut" = my "low-pass")?
Yes that is right. Since English is not my mother language, my writing in English would be sometimes strange or not suitable; you would please let me know whenever I make mistakes and/or improper wordings...

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is probably the most beautiful and meticulous system documentation that I've ever seen.

Thank you for your encouraging comment!

At here and here, I recently prepared Hyperlink Index of my project thread, just as references for all the people who may have interests on multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier audio system.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yamaha PX-3 TT with Dynavector cartridge
Hafler electronics suite: my modified DH-330 Tuner (seldom used), DH-110 pre-amp, two DH-220 mono bridged 450W power amps (modified caps)
Processors: DIY SET amps (0.5W one is from Glass Audio 3/96; picture at left), DBX 3bx dynamic range expander, IR-2200 image expander all used sparingly except the SET amps which get quite a bit of use
JBL L150A speakers (seldom used anymore as headphones and modified Infinity book shelf speakers near field and other bookshelf speakers more often listened to)
Akai GX-635D RR seldom used as well but still going strong albeit with numerous transistor change outs over the years
Oppo CD player
Original Monster heavy duty cables and assorted DIY interconnects
Sennheiser HD-650 and HD380 Pro headphones (I much prefer headphones and occasionally near field listening, wife likes to listen to the Hafler/JBL system)
The PX-3 is quite the TT ! - which Dynavector do you have on it?

D

Deleted member 39414

Living Area
yamaha s501
rega r cd player
wxc-50 connected to a synology full of goodies.
kef q350

Bedroom
Yamaha cd s1000
gustard x16 for apple music via camera cable
monoprice thx 887
audeze lcd-2c

Top Bottom