• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Newbie looking for audio setup advice

blackhatbandit

Hi Folks!

Audio newbie here. In the process of purchasing my very first home and am even more excited to have a decent audio setup.

Recently I purchased a Denon AVR-S970H 7.2-Channel 8K Network AV Receiver when my FIL's Pioneer 2.1 (very very old) receiver kicked the bucket. Right now, we're using 2 x Klipsch speakers, but we would like to have a decent audio system.

My wife and I like watching movies and listening to music (Spotify, Amazon Music, Records on Audio Technica turntable), but we are not "audiophiles" so to speak. Our current Klipsch bookshelf speakers seem good enough for our little apartment. Since we are moving into a new home, our TV room is about 17ft x 11 ft. The ceiling is partially Cathedral ceiling. The TV would go on the 11ft wall.

Should we do the dual zone thing that this Denon is capable of and install 2 speakers in the backyard or a different room in the house? Will it affect the performance? If we do the dual-zone thing, should we look at 5.x.x setup for the TV room and 2.0.0 setup for the other room? Or in your opinion, it's better to have a dedicated system for each space?

Can you recommend the best bang for the buck 7.1 or 7.2 setup? What about 5.1.2 for Dolby?

Our budget is around $2,000 with some leeway to go over if needed.

Thanks!

DJNX

If both zones get used at the same time, then there’s a chance that the amplifier will struggle to deliver power to all speakers, depending on how loud you two listen to movies and music.
That’s about the only reason to hesitate on using the dual zone feature.

I’d say, just give it a try.

OP
B

blackhatbandit

If both zones get used at the same time, then there’s a chance that the amplifier will struggle to deliver power to all speakers, depending on how loud you two listen to movies and music.
That’s about the only reason to hesitate on using the dual zone feature.

I’d say, just give it a try.
Thanks!

Any recommendations for 5.1.4 setup?

DJNX

Thanks!

Any recommendations for 5.1.4 setup?
If I understood correctly, the tv room will be bigger in the new house?
I would first setup things with your current speakers, and see if you like how the Klipsch fill the room. If you find the Klipsch satisfying in the new room, then I would just buy more of the same model for the surrounds and center.

For the atmos speakers, you’d probably want in-ceiling speakers. Although I don’t have experience with those.

OP
B

blackhatbandit

If I understood correctly, the tv room will be bigger in the new house?
I would first setup things with your current speakers, and see if you like how the Klipsch fill the room. If you find the Klipsch satisfying in the new room, then I would just buy more of the same model for the surrounds and center.

For the atmos speakers, you’d probably want in-ceiling speakers. Although I don’t have experience with those.
I moving my Klipsch to my bedroom or a different living space. I am looking for a new setup that's better than 2.0. lol

Top Bottom