• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

AudioSQ

Not nearly as pretty as some of the others, but I enjoyed seeing y'all's so I thought it was only fair I play too. I pull them out away from walls when I listen to music. Sorry the pics aren't great. CSS Critons, Dayton RS 18".

IMG_20210307_111201945_HDR~2_compress95.jpg

And the ugly that hides behind the couch. I realize I need to make the table top larger. More drivers means less work each for the same volume, which means less distortion, right?

IMG_20201107_011937_DRO_compress1.jpg

isolar8001

I don't have a good camera, but here is my setup.....have a pair of Aperion Planer Super Tweeters on the way....Denon S950H. RSL CG25's (Mains). RSL CG5's (Dual Centers). Dual RSL SpeedWoofer10's (Subs). Q Acoustics 3030i's (Surrounds). Aperion Audio MKII Planars (Super Tweeters). Hisense H9G-65. Vero4K+. XBoxOneX. 48tb Hard Drive Media Array/Storage.
IMG_20210418_123648.jpg

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not nearly as pretty as some of the others, but I enjoyed seeing y'all's so I thought it was only fair I play too. I pull them out away from walls when I listen to music. Sorry the pics aren't great. CSS Critons, Dayton RS 18".

View attachment 128200

And the ugly that hides behind the couch. I realize I need to make the table top larger. More drivers means less work each for the same volume, which means less distortion, right?

View attachment 128201

Your neighbors must love you to bits ;)
As for distortion, I bet first to distort would be your kidneys. Something's gotta give :)

AudioSQ

Your neighbors must love you to bits ;)
As for distortion, I bet first to distort would be your kidneys. Something's gotta give :)
Fortunately I've got a couple acres so my neighbors aren't close enough to hear. That said I actually don't listen to it very loud at all. Mostly used to fix room issues. They were just so cheap, and 9 makes a 4 ohm load.

AudioSQ

No room can have that many issues, can it?
It's definitely a bit overkill. There's a whole forum of people who are worse than me. At any rate I have the curve I want below 80hz and it's all for funsies.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maggies 3.7i < SS amp < tube pre-amp (ARC LS25 mk II) < Oppo 205 Disc or DAC; or Cambridge DAC from Apple TV3 from iMac
formerly Maggies 1.5QR... Sonic Frontiers pre-amp
formerly Vandersteen 2 or 2e and Cal whatever HDCD Icon disc player, which replaced a mid-range Sony CD player
formerly DCM Time Windows
... ??
Advent smalls after having Advent large

Many Nakamichi tape decks incl. the Advent 200, then Advent 201 (Wollensack drive)

originally an AR turntable (the original one), and later a Thorens at some point... Dynaco components then a Harmon-Kardon receiver

Kalessin

Forum Donor
My simple work-from-home desktop system. I built this over the last few months, though "built" is too strong a word, I bought some speakers and an amplifier, and connected them. It sounds remarkably good.

Speakers: Gallo Acoustics Micro satellites and the long-discontinued matching passive subwoofer. These were sold as a set around 2000-2004, under the old Anthony Gallo Acoustics company, though I bought sub and sats separately.

Amplifier: Aiyima A07 (thanks, ASR!)

Cables: Old Radio Shack 3.5mm-to-RCA for the Mac headphone jack source. I did splash out on a new spool of 18ga speaker wire at Home Depot. I might add banana plugs for convenience.

Music Streams: Apple Music and WERS Emerson College Radio, Boston

In-depth story: After starting to work from home last year, my little desktop speakers, Cambridge Soundworks "Soundworks" from 1992 or so were starting to make random popping noises. I decided it was long past time to get new desktop speakers, and the little MIcros would fit my crowded desk in a little 5'x8' work-from-home office nicely. It's a shame the sub has to sit under the desk, its really quite stylish and carries the spherical theme.

The little Gallo speakers require a high-pass crossover of at least 80Hz, and better at 120Hz for Micros and 100Hz for A'divas, so I found the sub on fleaBay (which came with more Micros...), and it has a claimed frequency response of 32Hz up to about 140Hz from the 8" driver in a 10" sphere. The satellites' frequency repsonse is ~100Hz to ~16kHz (I should mail one to Amir for measurement!), and the sub has a crossover on its speaker outputs at 120Hz.

I was originally going to start experimenting with DACs and mini preamps and all that, but the Mac headphone output sound quality is quite good, and the A07 is doing fine without a preamp.

Attachments

• Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 2.jpeg
    Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 2.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 4.jpeg
    Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 4.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 5.jpeg
    Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 5.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 10.jpeg
    Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 10.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 19.jpeg
    Gallo-Micros-at-Work - 19.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 198

chekhonte

View attachment 112537View attachment 112538View attachment 112539View attachment 112541View attachment 112542View attachment 112543

New member long time lurker
Room dimension 29 long by 18 wide by 9 ft high
Has been sound treated light controlled
2 rows 2nd on riser 2nd row is sweet spot

Equipment projector epson 6050ub
Screen Black Diamond ALR we watch a lot of sports with people in and out so I needed a screen that ciuld handle some light
Processor Anthem AVM 60
Amplifiers Anthem MCA 525 and Anthem PVA 7
Roku Ultra
Apple 4k
Sony 4k UBP X800
Speakers front 3 JBL 590's for L C R
Surrounds 4 RBH SV-661W on walls
In ceilings 4 paradigm CI Elite E80-IW

Subwoofers 1 RBH-SV1212PR
1 RBH-SV1212NR plan on adding 2 more for 4 total

Enjoy any constructive feedback is appreciated!
I switched to projection when I bought my first house 7 years ago and I'll never go back to panel tvs.

Coin3

I'm not sure how many of you will appreciate my setup's aesthetic, but since it's all part of the experience I'm obliged to share in full.

My most recent audio purchase is my Topping 30Pro stack. I don't see myself ever needing to upgrade from this for stereo/headphone listening.

The speakers are Micca MB42X, paired with a Dayton SUB-800 subwoofer and SMSL SA-50 amplifier. This cost me about $270 back in high school 7 years ago, and honestly they've been good enough since then that I haven't felt the need to upgrade. After learning about equalization and experimenting with the help of REW, I've been able to fix flaws of the speakers and my positioning of them to get good enough sound quality at lower volumes, which is fine considering I'm in a small apartment with neighbors. My next speaker upgrade will probably be when I'm able to move into a house and build a home theater setup.

More often, though, I listen to music through headphones, so I've been spending a lot of my disposable income on that side of the audio experience. The headphones I use most often are the HD560S, which are shown hanging off of my PC. This isn't the "What headphones do you own?" thread, so I won't list them all, but my most recent purchase is the HD800S, which will arriving tomorrow. It's by far the most I've spent on a headphone, and I hope it will satisfy my expectations enough to not spend any more for a long while.

20210516_185037.jpg
20210516_185144.jpg

AudioSQ

Well I'm flat from 20 to 80hz. As I mentioned since there is so much cone area they have to move very little and draw very little power to get the volume I want. I imagine that leads to low distortion. Maybe my logic is flawed. I think flat low distortion bass is what I should be looking for?

I don't have any audiophile friends to compare it to or comment on it, but I think it sounds great. My opinion is worth about 2 cents. I certainly wouldn't mind a second opinion or someone to educate me on how I could improve upon it.

The image may suggest I'm a bass head, but I'm really not. I've never even really cranked them to see what they can do. They were cheap and I wanted to play with speakers. I think my brother has his cheap $200 10" Polk sub cranked louder when he listens to music than I have my subs. I do run them a bit hot during action movies.

sleepyboy69

Yeah that sounds pretty smart. What do you run them with? I have a friend who I believe knows a lot about audio who once told me to not buy a pro sub - since they are easy and cheap to DIY, unlike the frequencies above that. I don't know how much of his opinion was casual, but he does have a lot of experience building speakers. Perhaps to run just the lowest frequencies, something like that might be better than expensive subs.

AudioSQ

Yeah that sounds pretty smart. What do you run them with? I have a friend who I believe knows a lot about audio who once told me to not buy a pro sub - since they are easy and cheap to DIY, unlike the frequencies above that. I don't know how much of his opinion was casual, but he does have a lot of experience building speakers. Perhaps to run just the lowest frequencies, something like that might be better than expensive subs.
I'm a big fan of DIY, but I only build proven designs. I'm not smart enough to design my own. There is a 200 page thread on these JBL subs over at avsforum if you really wanted to read more about them. I currently have a behringer 3000D, but it measured rather poorly here at ASR. I plan on replacing it, but since I don't push it hard I may not notice a difference. I think all in I spent $1,300 on my subs including amp. I like to think I did better than if I bought a commercial offering.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
I've had a lot of gear over the last 50 years too much to list ..or remember!..
the speakers I kept the longest were a pair of von schweikert Vr4.5s..
I had Martin Logan ESLs for a few years prior.
Lots of amplifiers ,CD players and garden hoses came and went..
Then in 2015 ? I read the outrageous claims devialet were making about their new phantom speakers..45 days home trial so i signed up.
Well I didn't send em back,nearly sold em a couple of times but they fixed the software so it mostly worked by 2017.
I did sell off all my old gear amps and garden hoses tho, Gone!
except for my trusty old Harman T60 turntable, I kept that.
I use a puffin digital phono EQ via toslink to the phantoms.
I still have my old Senn hd580 cans too. I have a topping A50 amp I use with cans at home and a hidizs S9 and a fiio btr5 too.i have a pair of AKG k371 and Oppo pm3 I like for outdoors.
The phantoms sound great but their new room has a lower ceiling than the previous one , I have to lower the bass with modern electronic music or it gets too excited.
The puffin phono EQ is able to tame the room for records and tape .I would like to do some kind of room EQ eventually but it's good as it is.
Here's some pics.
IMG_20220617_091856.jpg

IMG_20220617_091831.jpg

Last edited:

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had a lot of gear over the last 50 years too much to list ..or remember!..
the speakers I kept the longest were a pair of von schweikert Vr4.5s..
I had Martin Logan ESLs for a few years prior.
Lots of amplifiers ,CD players and garden hoses came and went..
Then in 2015 ? I read the outrageous claims devialet were making about their new phantom speakers..45 days home trial so i signed up.
Well I didn't send em back,nearly sold em a couple of times but they fixed the software so it mostly worked by 2017.
I did sell off all my old gear amps and garden hoses tho, Gone!
View attachment 132520View attachment 132519View attachment 132520except for my trusty old Harman T60 turntable, I kept that.
I use a puffin digital phono EQ via toslink to the phantoms.
I still have my old Senn hd580 cans too. I have a topping A50 amp I use with cans at home and a hidizs S9 and a fiio btr5 too.i have a pair of AKG k317s and Oppo pm3s I like for outdoors.
The phantoms sound great but their new room has a lower ceiling than the previous one and with digital sources I have to lower the bass or it gets too excited.
The puffin phono EQ is able to tame the room for records ok .Iwill do some kind of room EQ eventually.
Here's some pics.

View attachment 132519
Love the album! I saw John Martyn, solo, in a small club in DC back in the 70s. He used multiple Echoplexes to get his signature sound. A great show.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiolab 6000 CD Transport, Soncoz SGD-1 DAC

free image sharing

Nelson Pass DCB1 pre-amplifier. Built into generic Chinese case by a friend. Note the duct tape over the blue LED, it will burn your retinas without that mod.

free image sharing

Krell KSA50S - my favourite Krell. The speakers drop pretty low impedance-wise, the Krell doesn't care, other amps do.

free image sharing

JM Lab Focal Electra 926 speakers, some ad-hoc room treatment and a pile of kit not in use. And some whisky canisters. Also not in use.

free image sharing

Subjective sound quality is...adequate.

Top Bottom