• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Lotus78

Main 2ch Stereo:

Minidsp SHD Power

Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL

Streaming from Amazon HD

IMG_6808 (1)a.jpg

That strange haze effect is from a hard working humidifier.

IMG_6809a.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
My Dynaudio LYD 48’s have arrived after a 3 month delay, replacing my previous KRK G4 Rokit 7’s and KRK 10s sub, not got them hooked up to the KRK sub just yet as I want to wait a while to see how they sound, although I will probably end up buying the Dynaudio 18s sub in the new year.

They are a definite improvement on the KRK’s though, very wide and open with a fat juicy midrange that’s putting a big smile on my face.

I’m not moving from my seat till I develop pressure sores on my arse…….or until my beer runs out………

51707312700_242f31b3db_3k.jpg

Old Listener

My Dynaudio LYD 48’s have arrived after a 3 month delay, replacing my previous KRK G4 Rokit 7’s and KRK 10s sub, not got them hooked up to the KRK sub just yet as I want to wait a while to see how they sound, although I will probably end up buying the Dynaudio 18s sub in the new year.

They are a definite improvement on the KRK’s though, very wide and open with a fat juicy midrange that’s putting a big smile on my face.

I’m not moving from my seat till I develop pressure sores on my arse…….or until my beer runs out………

51707312700_242f31b3db_3k.jpg
I'm glad that you like your LYD-48s. I've enjoyed mine for about 3 years. My listening position is about 9 feet from the speakers.

Holmz

Major Contributor
This is around the 10th move of the speakers and system…And it was a few hours before the grand final was broadcast, so TV into preamp and the usual mess of moving into a new room.

- CD player
- 1/8” into RCA for iPad
- SOTA turntable -> Audio Research PH2 phone stage
- NAD tuner
- Audible Illusions Modulus line stage preamp
- PrimaLine Dialogue HP amp
- Vandersteen 2C, and Vandy sub.

A0D3493C-CF65-45ED-B760-38BDB7BBAB45.jpeg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you indeed for your quick response. It is really minimalist but super-excellent audio setup I believe, as I hear and read much about Kii THREE before.

Morla

Forum Donor
Thank you indeed for your quick response. It is really minimalist but super-excellent audio setup I believe, as I hear and read much about Kii THREE before.
They might be the hype (still. i believe the model appeared in maybe 2017 or 2016 even?) but I love how they present the base without getting the dishes shaking or rattling heh :) WAF is unsuspectingly high. I am not giving them back - that was clear to me right away after listening to the first few songs.

Godataloss

What kind of wood are the speaker bases?
That is some crazee wood-grain, even if wood veneer applique.
Oh, yes! Nice candles in the Fireplace, too!:cool:
Thank you. The finish is called Ramblin' Rose though it is not rosewood. It is made by dyeing layers of veneer, gluing them together and radially cutting them. Was only offered for a year or two 1979-80. I've read only 25 pairs were made. They're a lot of fun.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 168863

I added a pair of iLoud MTM monitors to my work desk. Nearfield, after calibration, they sound very good, daresay better than my Adam monitors. I’m pleasantly surprised.
Nice. Now take some measurements with a UMIK-1 and create EQ filters in REW and prepare to be really amazed. I wasn't impressed with ARC.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Nice. Now take some measurements with a UMIK-1 and create EQ filters in REW and prepare to be really amazed. I wasn't impressed with ARC.
I have Sonarworks on this system (and their calibrated mic in hand), so that's next. But yes, I will definitely heed your advice and pick up a UMIK-1 and give REW a try.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 168863

I added a pair of iLoud MTM monitors to my work desk. Nearfield, after calibration, they sound very good, daresay better than my Adam monitors. I’m pleasantly surprised.
You should mount the MTMs on stands so the tweeters are on ear height level. This gets rid of muddy upper bass due to reflections on the desktop. My 8020s never sounded worse than when standing directly on the desk.

Zensō

Major Contributor
You should mount the MTMs on stands so the tweeters are on ear height level. This gets rid of muddy upper bass due to reflections on the desktop. My 8020s never sounded worse than when standing directly on the desk.
They're currently angled up at 20 degrees. This gets them pretty close to pointing at my ears, but yes, certainly getting them completely off the desk would be an improvement. I have my Adams on risers and it made a major difference. Thanks!

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_1009.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Update: New mono blocks and wall art.View attachment 169518

May I ask about the subwoofer unit and the cabinet? Are these active or passive? In case of passive, what is the amp driving these subs, and crossovers (high-cut Fq point, filter type, and slope) ?

I am just planning to build similar woofer/subwoofer using SEAS EXTREME "L26ROY" (XM001-04) woofer (sub-woofer) unit , as shared here...

paddycrow

Forum Donor
May I ask about the subwoofer unit and the cabinet? Are these active or passive? In case of passive, what is the amp driving these subs, and crossovers (high-cut Fq point, filter type, and slope) ?

I am just planning to build similar woofer/subwoofer using SEAS EXTREME "L26ROY" (XM001-04) woofer (sub-woofer) unit , as shared here...
The subwoofer cabinets are DIY. They are Bubinga veneer over MDF panels with solid maple corners. The rack cabinet is solid padauk.

Subs are passive and sealed, I'm driving them with two SpeakerPower SP1-700-HTB just below the preamp. Drivers are from Creative Sound Solutions. Crossover is handled in the bass management section of the preamp.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This UMIK-1 microphone (@$130, for use with REW) just seems to be too pricey; just for a few uses.
Yes, I am being lazy by not researching on my own but I don't feel guilt in asking the ASR brain trust.
[Should I?]
Are there any alternative MICs that are less than half the price of UMIK-1?

Top Bottom