• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TAD Evolution 2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 66 15.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 208 47.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 150 34.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed a few comments were based around it looking pedestrian compared to previous models. It's interesting how that can make a difference in peoples opinions.
At $20k people want it to look like it costs $20k.
Its not the looks. It is the test results. When a speakers tests worse than many order of magnitude cheaper similar type speakers on the market it is a poor show. The spartan look is the mustard on the cake :)

Heulpic

Back in the Andrew Jones/Chris Walker days of Pioneer you could buy replacement S1/2/7EX drivers on a core-exchange basis direct from their website. If memory serves that CST was $1200 or $1500. Alas, now all they have for that model is a screw:

I'd expect better service from TAD than Pioneer though, if only because they're still in the market.
Trust me I tried everything including E-Bay. I contacted both of them (Pioneer and TAD in Japan) w/o results.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Folks, its just a TAD bit.. jk lol

Wonder what they were after in terms of FR, I think the subjective listening test might be enlightening.
When there are FR anomalies, you will hear it.

ssashton

I think this is the result of tuning by ear in a reasonably reflective minimalist room. Possibly a new designer given a chance?

We can see most notably a dip around 2.5KHz in the on-axis response, while at the same time we also see a widening of dispersion in this range looking at the normalized horizontal directivity plot.

The cabinet looks nice, but they might not think to brace it a lot.

prerich

I have a question....are designers purposefully adding that dip around 2 -3khz (also known as the BBC dip)? I learned of this through Audyssey when discussing mid-range compensation. I'm seeing that in quite a few speakers measured here, but the best speakers seem to omit the BBC dip. Andrew Jones is no longer at TAD...as most of his designs measure flat. Has TAD's new designer added that "British" sound to the Evolution speakers? If they have - the BBC dip is to be expected (not saying that I like it - as my speakers measure flat - so I take the mid-range compensation out of Audyssey settings).

ssashton

I have a question....are designers purposefully adding that dip around 2 -3khz (also known as the BBC dip)? I learned of this through Audyssey when discussing mid-range compensation. I'm seeing that in quite a few speakers measured here, but the best speakers seem to omit the BBC dip. Andrew Jones is no longer at TAD...as most of his designs measure flat. Has TAD's new designer added that "British" sound to the Evolution speakers? If they have - the BBC dip is to be expected (not saying that I like it - as my speakers measure flat - so I take the mid-range compensation out of Audyssey settings).
As above, the dip mostly came about from the dispersion characteristics of those older BBC speakers. Larger woofer crossing over to a smaller tweeter. The sudden widening of dispersion when the tweeter takes over encourages a reduction in the FR there. Without detailed measurements the designers had to do their best by ear, possibly not fully understanding the 'why' of it.

IMO a designer who implements a 'BBC dip' in a speaker without understanding the dispersion characteristics of that speaker is going to have a rather hit or miss result.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I have a question....are designers purposefully adding that dip around 2 -3khz (also known as the BBC dip)?
I would argue that the BBC dip originates in the back then new 2-way paradigm with larger plastic woofers (8") and tiny tweeters (3/4") with, by todays standards, very high x/o frequencies (3,5k). The on-axis equalization might have compensated the directivity error.

prerich

fcracer

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the TAD Evolution 2 tower 2.5 way speaker. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $20,000.
I haven’t read the review yet, but I give TAD A+++ for sending the sample to ASR for testing. Regardless whether the speaker performs or not, kudos to TAD!

Tom C

Major Contributor
Yep. I have no doubt that build quality is excellent (how could it be otherwise for 20k speakers made in Japan?), but it looks like... nothing.

And I'm saying this while TAD makes ones of my favourite looking speakers ever:View attachment 241972View attachment 241973
Yes. Those are very nice looking. The looks make you want to have them. Even my wife picked the floorstanders out of the crowd when we were at an audio show last. Imposing appearance when seen in real life.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fine if not for the price. Not terrible with the price. Props to the company for sending it in.

But really...

tenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D13879896

ssashton

Kind of a tangent if you'll permit me. I spotted these Pioneer actives in Curry's PC World. The bump at the bottom of the tweeter waveguide bought to mind a CAD mistake that got all the way to injection molds.

Or anyone have an idea what it is there for?

Attachments

• 20221017_162924.jpg
    20221017_162924.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 92

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks @amirm for another eyes opener review. This speaker is a really hard pill to swallow if you consider that you can get 10 x Revel F208s for the price of one of these.... So to me this speaker lands into the headless Panther category, sorry.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of a tangent if you'll permit me. I spotted these Pioneer actives in Curry's PC World. The bump at the bottom of the tweeter waveguide bought to mind a CAD mistake that got all the way to injection molds.

Or anyone have an idea what it is there for?
JBL adds mysterious lumps to their modern horns and waveguides, under the guidance of computer modeling. One assumes it gives the desired dispersion pattern.

3125b

Major Contributor
Price and performance aside, the design is just ... not pretty.
The weird spacing of the drivers, the unfortunate combination of the color and texture of the drivers with the mesh grille and bright ring around the tweeter practically fighting with the wood veneer, the little single driver grills, the sharp corners - it just looks like somebody stuck a bunch of random components together.
I have nothing against a utilitarian finish on high end speakers. A Neummann KH 420 for example looks like an overgrown cinder block, but the design is consistent and it's clear that form follows function.

On these, nothing follows nothing. Price, design, performance - none of those makes sense either in itself or at least when looking at the whole combination.

Top Bottom