• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

T Bone Burnett Reveals New Analog Reproduction Technology

DonR

Major Contributor
Hope you know that all "digital sound" are from analogue sources through analog to digital conversion....

All your digital music can only be as good as the source, cannot exceed it.
Incorrect. An increasing portion of music today is generated digitally on computers. There is no analog original.

OP
J

JWAmerica

“An Ionic Original is the pinnacle of recorded sound. It is archival quality. It is future proof. It is one of one.”

Iconic Original
is the NFT of recorded music, more authentic than even MQA! What a bunch of hogwash... :facepalm:
Sounds like each one is different than the last, which will probably bode well for investors who will claim certain serial numbers sound better than others.

Robin L

Master Contributor
No matter how tricked up, a spiral analog disc has built-in imperfections that rule it out totally as an archival medium.

Full stop.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
He must have been smoking dope with Neil Young when that lightbulb illuminated his brain. :eek::rolleyes:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
No matter how tricked up, a spiral analog disc has built-in imperfections that rule it out totally as an archival medium.

Full stop.

I'll still probably buy one just to try it out.

That's assuming it works on a standard TT....

Does it?

Or is the 'spiral' somehow incompatible with LP tracking angles / alignment geometries?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Ha ha, no no. Either classic vinyl for nostalgia sake. Maybe love hate, masochism or euphoria when it does NOT scratch, hum, means problems with grounding for us old farts. Or for the young people the mystery and belief in a warmer sound with classic old vinyl. Plus collecting records for the aesthetics, that feeling that it gives.:)

The modern car , with good performance that is reliable,(streamed music) after you have gone on your Sunday trip with the veteran car (turntable) and received a fair amount of trouble, petrol fumes straight in the face and various engine stops. A nice Sunday trip in other words.:D

Any new analog medium, solution will never have that allure. By the way, is this seious?

Last edited:

daclogic

No evidence of any type, yet so many opinions... audio science guys. You know, evidence, data, observation...

DonR

Major Contributor
"etched into it by music" - nope. A transducer does the etching. Transducers are the most flawed components in an audio chain e.g. speakers.

DanielT

Major Contributor
"etched into it by music" - nope. A transducer does the etching. Transducers are the most flawed components in an audio chain e.g. speakers.
Well, it depends. If you put an old player in the chain then. To really make it the weakest link, a really old:
(I understand that was not what you intended to put in the chain when you mentioned transducer). :)

Portable_78_rpm_record_player.jpg

But that player together with a speaker from the 1930s so well then maybe it will be the speaker in any case.:D

481010268_b0569e11-6d87-42be-bba8-0a1dea13645c.jpg

I thought about bidding on that Art Deco speaker (see attached picture) but forgot about the auction.To have as an ornament, (sold for $ 28).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-30_070445.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-30_070445.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

clearnfc

Right were as analogue can't even be as good as the source. If you fool yourself to think it can be better you like distortion. Besides there are digital sources in music production, synths and samplers, so your wrong there too.

I am not talking to you..

clearnfc

Wrong again. From https://psap.library.illinois.edu/collection-id-guide/phonodisc

Aluminum disc grooves are surprisingly malleable and were originally intended for use with either wooden needles or similarly forgiving fiber styli (e.g. cacti or bamboo). Just one playback with a modern standard-issue steel stylus can do irreparable damage to the grooves.

The aluminum disc recording is a relatively obscure phonograph format for one-off home and radio transcription recordings in the late 1920s through 1940s. Unlike any other phonograph, the aluminum transcription disc is plainly identifiable as uncoated, bare aluminum. These records have a limited dynamic range and inferior sound quality. The recording should be assumed to be unique and will require a delicate fiber stylus for responsible playback.

One off aluminum disc recordings were done in 1920 so there " first major development in analog music reproduction in more than 70 years" is a 100 year step backwards !!

If you read on they talk about lacquer (on aluminum) being used for direct to disc recording in the 1940's so TBone is an idiot.

And as one offs the price will be ridiculous. I don't get this. If I buy one of these is it the only recording of that take ? Thats what the marketing sounds like "its like an original painting". So Bob has to sing (and I use that term loosely) the same song 100 times if they want to sell 100 copies? I want the good take. Its like Piccasso painting the same picture 100 times. Sounds like more BS.

Duh, i am not even talking to you... Wasted my time reading your nonsense and realise its from a different person.. adding to ignore list...

Top Bottom