• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not overly scientific
christmas-vacation-no-shit.gif

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve paired mine with Linn Ninka’s. Low pass set to 39Mhz, volume range -10 to -15.

Do to space mine sits almost dead centre between my mains.

Reactions: Ace

Ace

That tells me less than nothing.

Have you seen the CEA-2010-A data from post #1?
Yes! Is this correct? I'm new to this. SB1000 Pro has higher CEA-2010-A output and can dig lower than the 3000 Micro. The Micro's SPL is higher in the 30-40Hz range. For musicality this would seem desirable? I'd consider my room large for either of these subs though the listening distance is only 4.2m. I have the space (and budget, if stretched) for two SB1000 Pros or a single 3000 Micro. My nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive away. What do you recommend?

radio3

On top of each other. Had sb1000 pro before which go lower but not necessarily needed for music. 3000 micro has more power and punch, tighter bass - I like it, for your room it’s slightly small if movie watching was involved but isn’t. For music just to add to bottom end it’s very good nicely looking little sub. This is one option - the other one you can find on RS website under clearance there were some open boxes of KC62 for 1.1k - great value as well and for music pairing with R3 probably best option - even tighter.
Third option would be to get a pair of sb1000 pro which will fill your space more if you think that would be needed - I have a couple for sale at the moment for good price;)
What is RS?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Yes! Is this correct? I'm new to this. SB1000 Pro has higher CEA-2010-A output and can dig lower than the 3000 Micro. The Micro's SPL is higher in the 30-40Hz range. For musicality this would seem desirable? I'd consider my room large for either of these subs though the listening distance is only 4.2m. I have the space (and budget, if stretched) for two SB1000 Pros or a single 3000 Micro. My nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive away. What do you recommend?
I always recommend dual subs...whether you buy 2 now or buy 1st now and 2nd a year from now.
There's literally no wrong choice here since both are well-performing subs.

Willem

Major Contributor
To obtain the same output and sound quality from a smaller enclosure is possible, but more expensive. So for the same money, you either get a smaller size or more bass. And for the same quantity and quality of bass you have to pay more if you want small enclosures. The Micro3000 is an attempt to produce a small subwoofer that produces quite a lot of low frequency output, but you pay for that. If you have a larger room, enclosure size may not matter too much to you, so the bulkier models give you most bang for the buck. The Monoprice subs extend this idea with even cheaper but relatively bulkier subs.
Subwoofer prices can vary a lot between markets/continents, but the KEF Kube series is worth a mention as well for those who want low bass for not too much money. The Kube 10b has been measured and did rather better than comparable SVS subs.
Apart from all this, two subs are always preferable for a smoother response over a larger listening area.

Daka

To obtain the same output and sound quality from a smaller enclosure is possible, but more expensive. So for the same money, you either get a smaller size or more bass. And for the same quantity and quality of bass you have to pay more if you want small enclosures. The Micro3000 is an attempt to produce a small subwoofer that produces quite a lot of low frequency output, but you pay for that. If you have a larger room, enclosure size may not matter too much to you, so the bulkier models give you most bang for the buck. The Monoprice subs extend this idea with even cheaper but relatively bulkier subs.
Subwoofer prices can vary a lot between markets/continents, but the KEF Kube series is worth a mention as well for those who want low bass for not too much money. The Kube 10b has been measured and did rather better than comparable SVS subs.
Apart from all this, two subs are always preferable for a smoother response over a larger listening area.
Yes if you can fit bigger sub then it’s better. Smaller subs to go deep need to have bigger movements and that brings distortion - KEF with kc62 and kf92 have some cool tech to keep distortion in check and it does better job than 3000 micro hence the price is much higher - higher than a lot of big subs.

sharock

I've noticed something weird with my 3000 Micro and I can't work out what's causing it. During parts of a particular track, I notice the bass sort of fading out and back in which sticks out even to my untrained ears. This does not happen through my SB4000, SB1000 Pro or even through headphones.

As far as I can tell the unit isn't faulty. It happens even if I stick my ear next to the driver which sort of rules out room modes? FR sweeps in REW with mic at close range seem to produce a consistent response with no glaring dips. SVS support suggested using a smartphone as a source to rule out the upstream and it still does it. Could it be something to do with the dual opposed driver design?

The track in question is:
and the first occurrence is at 45-46s when the bass notes play. I hear a discontinuity that only occurs through the 3000 Micro.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me a bit nuts.o_O I'm sort of regretting not just getting a second SB1000 Pro. Apart from the smaller footprint, the 3000 Micro seems inferior to me. I wonder how many other tracks are missing bass information!

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the 3000 Micro seems inferior to me

why? ... 2 x 8" drivers are (almost) equals to a 10" driver ... not a huge difference with a 12" driver and with much more power than the 1000 pro.

you can check that you're not using any eq setting or room compensation via the software, etc ... maybe resetting to default in the app.

Willem

Major Contributor
I like dual opposed designs. They allow you to have the same performance in a smaller box, but at greater expense. If you want the most bang for the buck, avoid them. If you want the least intrusion into your home decor and are happy to pay for that, go for them.

sharock

why? ... 2 x 8" drivers are (almost) equals to a 10" driver ... not a huge difference with a 12" driver and with much more power than the 1000 pro.

you can check that you're not using any eq setting or room compensation via the software, etc ... maybe resetting to default in the app.

Relative to my 1000 Pro it's more expensive, doesn't extend as low and based on Sweetchaos's comparison spreadsheet, performs worse in CEA-2010 below 80Hz. Its only advantage is smaller footprint.

I've got both subs hooked up to a DDRC-24 and can instantly switch between them to hear the difference in the track I linked. I just don't understand it.

Last edited:

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Relative to my 1000 Pro it's more expensive, doesn't extend as low and based on Sweetchaos's comparison spreadsheet, performs worse in CEA-2010.

I've got both subs hooked up to a DDRC-24 and can instantly switch between them to hear the difference in the track I linked. I just don't understand it.

it's more expensive because it's a more complex technology and with a far superior amplification. I don't see a really spectacular difference in mesasurements with music ... maybe with HT in a larger room yes.

You checked the svs mobile app settings? maybe there's some parametric eq / room compensation active.

sharock

it's more expensive because it's a more complex technology and with a far superior amplification. I don't see a really spectacular difference in mesasurements with music ... maybe with HT in a larger room yes.

You checked the svs mobile app settings? maybe there's some parametric eq / room compensation active.
I'm not writing it off as a product. I just think for me personally, I could have bought a second SB1000 Pro and been happy. I originally went for the 3000 Micro because I thought I needed the smaller box but a 1000 would have fit. I was also happy with it until I noticed this one tiny issue in one track.:confused:

I only set the volume in the app. Everything else is default as the DSP is done on the DDRC-24.

Curious to know if any other 3000M users hear the track how I do? I suppose I'd need to upload two recordings to demonstrate the difference.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I've noticed something weird with my 3000 Micro and I can't work out what's causing it. During parts of a particular track, I notice the bass sort of fading out and back in which sticks out even to my untrained ears. This does not happen through my SB4000, SB1000 Pro or even through headphones.

As far as I can tell the unit isn't faulty. It happens even if I stick my ear next to the driver which sort of rules out room modes? FR sweeps in REW with mic at close range seem to produce a consistent response with no glaring dips. SVS support suggested using a smartphone as a source to rule out the upstream and it still does it. Could it be something to do with the dual opposed driver design?

The track in question is:
and the first occurrence is at 45-46s when the bass notes play. I hear a discontinuity that only occurs through the 3000 Micro.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me a bit nuts.o_O I'm sort of regretting not just getting a second SB1000 Pro. Apart from the smaller footprint, the 3000 Micro seems inferior to me. I wonder how many other tracks are missing bass information!
Sounds strange and what you can hear, you also should be able to measure. Maybe identify the frequency in the song by playing through REW FFT and then set the REW generator to that frequency and let it play for a longer period as opposed to just a short sweep. Enable the REW RTA while doing so to see whether you observe any amplitude / SPL changes.

jbattman1016

Yes, this sub is going to be the perfect drop in replacement for my current sub with pretty similar specs, but likely a better AMP.

YSC

Major Contributor
Top Bottom