• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stone Speakers from Italy

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not believe that this thread is very useful for anyone looking for concrete suggestions.

MuseIcal

Hm...

It seems RBH/EMP had bookshelf speakers made of stone. Granite? Maybe it was marble.

My Google 'foo' isn't as sharp as it used to be, so I'm having trouble finding them.

Bang and Olufsen have a range out using gold and marble in their headphones and earbuds.

Wonder how long it will be before companies start integrating hemp/cannabis into the materials used.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder how long it will be before companies start integrating hemp/cannabis into the materials used.

Unsurprisingly given it's made of hemp, Marketing has decreed that Eminence 620H has a "warm, full, and clean tone that will make a small, thin amp sound bigger and fatter."

ToneTubby hempcone speakers offer "a rich and smooth sound unheard of from paper cone speakers".

And then there's Hempopotamus.

In defence of these brands, their hemp woofers are mostly intended for the Guitar amp market, where non-linearity is actually a desirable quality in a speaker driver.

nick-v

Hm...

It seems RBH/EMP had bookshelf speakers made of stone. Granite? Maybe it was marble.

My Google 'foo' isn't as sharp as it used to be, so I'm having trouble finding them.

Bang and Olufsen have a range out using gold and marble in their headphones and earbuds.

You're thinking of Status Acoustics, RBH's "high end" line. They're apparently still available:

Status Acoustics - Voce Fina

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some of those drivers look like HiVi.

I assume the interior is carved out, using some sort of water jet and vacuum tool. The walls are probably much thicker than expected, meaning very little interior volume.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I prefer rock and roll music.

Ahhh you dont use the english language in all its beauty. Iam always envious. There is just more swing in the english language.

Lets explain:
The start: "...I prefer rock and roll music..."

You see? Absolutlie no groove.

Lets change:
"...I fu** prefer fu** rock and fu** roll,
You see that groove? Its in the language, You just have to peal it out of the from nature given apple?! ;)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
1605053710691.png

Only $99.99

+$1,000.00 shipping.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
12000 euro each for one model. The FR is not too bad, but I bet I could do better with concrete and an S2000 kit for less than $300. I an sure I could get someone to cut up stone for way less too. I would use Indiana limestone and machine a more proper waveguide or at least use a flat baffle.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I remember two Finnish small brands with speakers made of soupstone. I purchased a pair of these Avalanche AS1 actives and modding is on the run... Line level xo bypassed by minidsp 2x4HD, mid and tweeter changed. Weigh 86kg! My son will get the pair!
Avalanche_AS1.jpg

leather test.jpg

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I remember two Finnish small brands with speakers made of soupstone. I purchased a pair of these actives and modding is on the run... Line level xo bypassed by minidsp 2x4HD, mid and tweeter changed. Weigh 70kg! My son will get the pair!
View attachment 93487
View attachment 93488
Now those are pretty! Active line level often makes sense once you start tweaking things.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I remember two Finnish small brands with speakers made of soupstone. I purchased a pair of these actives and modding is on the run... Line level xo bypassed by minidsp 2x4HD, mid and tweeter changed. Weigh 70kg! My son will get the pair!

View attachment 93488
That looks like one of the late, lamented Audax Aerogel midranges...

Juhazi

Major Contributor
That looks like one of the late, lamented Audax Aerogel midranges...

Yep HM100Z0 is still available (old stock?)!

https://www.lamaisonduhautparleur.com/en/woofer-medium/598-hm-100-z0.html
https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/un...ker-audax-hm100z0-8-ohm-4-33-x-4-33-inch.html
https://www.rumoh.eu/speakers/audax/midrange/1600/audax-hm100z0

Tweeter in the pic is ScanSpeak, but I'm running SB26STAC now. Bass drivers are original SS 26 Discoverys. Original mids and tweeters are Dynaudios.
My old leather jacket relives as the baffle mask!

Last edited:

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
.... the Fischer & Fischer natural slate speakers ...
Good morning to Everyone,
many years ago at an audio fair in Milan i had the opportunity to see a demo by the representative of the brand mentioned
In order to show how "acoustically dead" were their stone cabinets he was using a carillon mechanism like the one in the attached picture
he was placing it on various objects in the room ... like shelves, amps, etc. and almost any object was resonating like a bell
Then he placed this little mechanism on the stone speakers i was floored ... and just and extremely tiny metallic sound emerged
Like when actioned in open air i mean (maybe even less !)
After that i bought one mechanism and tried it at home on my speakers And they were resonating like a bell as well
To conclude i have the feeling that this could be a very telling test to check the "boxiness" of a loudspeaker.
And i would like to add that those who state that we should look at a speaker cabinet like the body of a musical instrument are quite wrong ... of course imho
One thing is to generate sound ... another thing to reproduce sounds
The body of an acoustical instruments amplifies the vibration of the moving parts ... and this exactly what a speaker cabinet should not do

Attachments

• carillon.jpg
    carillon.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom