• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stone Speakers from Italy

TitaniumTroy

http://www.stonesspeakers.it
My personal audio guru, says the imaging/soundstage should be really good. Due to the highly irregular surface, I would assume they would also pretty inert. Aesthetically they look like Flintstone speakers to me, also some darker colors like black or maroon might help things out.

Anybody know anything about these speakers or the company?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think everyone has different view on what is good or bad imaging and soundstage. The stone surface is rough, when sound folds back and reflect from the baffle the reflection will not be lined up but scatter around. It should produce less pin point sound stage, but more pin point than smooth baffle. Are those human made stone or real stone and carved?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I dont think the surface is going to improve the sound. The best sound comes from baffles that meld into waveguides, usually designed on a computer, like on Genelec speakers or the Focal Kantas. The stone itself probably would work well for resonances if they machined it with precision. The cabinet interiors are probably better than the plain parallel surfaces of a simple box, and I am sure the stone does not ring, which is good. If they control the cabinet volume and port dimensions, the bass response could be pretty good. I agree they look like flintstones.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's not going to be pretty when this little devil knocks one off its stand...

1604975786288.png

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I think everyone has different view on what is good or bad imaging and soundstage. The stone surface is rough, when sound folds back and reflect from the baffle the reflection will not be lined up but scatter around. It should produce less pin point sound stage, but more pin point than smooth baffle. Are those human made stone or real stone and carved?
Imaging and soundstage should mostly be determined by frequency response, which will depend on the electronic implementation and box volume too, but the rough surface is not going to improve it. A smooth precision machined waveguide and baffle would be best.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This reminds me of a idea I had in the 90's where stone would be used with epoxy to make cabinets. Like what people use in their driveway. Small stones cast in a mould and then sprayed with varnish or something to bring out the colors.
gravel-driveway.jpg

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Imaging and soundstage should mostly be determined by frequency response, which will depend on the electronic implementation and box volume too, but the rough surface is not going to improve it. A smooth precision machined waveguide and baffle would be best.
Exactly, secondary sound sources usually deteriorate both the frequency response and precise pin-point imaging.
https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/kantendiffraktion-sekundaerschallquellen-treiberanordnun/

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm disappointed, since only the cabinet is stone.

LearningToSmile

Yeah, not sure about that approach, something like the Fischer & Fischer natural slate speakers seems more reasonable:
SN-SL_1000.1-AMT_G_1.jpg

This reminds me of a idea I had in the 90's where stone would be used with epoxy to make cabinets. Like what people use in their driveway. Small stones cast in a mould and then sprayed with varnish or something to bring out the colors.
gravel-driveway.jpg

I don't remember the manufacturer but I've seen speakers made out of artificial marble before, which is pretty close to that - "Artificial marble is made of natural marble or granite crushed stone for the filler, with cement, gypsum and unsaturated polyester resin as a binder "

deprogrammed

Top Bottom