• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo 130 or 230 from leak. Do we have any good reviews

OP
A

alaios

If Vena 2 is close to leak 130 that is a very good quality argument for the 130.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lots of happy customers of this on Crutchfield site. Have to say, now the Leak speakers are actually available I'm halfway tempted. Largely due to the retro look to be fair, but should imagine the 230 sounds pretty good, not state of the art type deal I'd say, but still. Just need to see how the sandwich 250's measure up, if they are good this may well tempt me if I let my heart rule my head.

Was tempted a while back, but the Linton's was the nearest aesthetic match and I just didn't really think they did overly well, plus for some reason I just avoid those carbon fibre type cones, didn't really match up with the vintage aesthetic either to be honest.

OP
A

alaios

do you have the 230? are you happy with it? I still hear some concerns of people saying that leak's units are not good units

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
do you have the 230? are you happy with it? I still hear some concerns of people saying that leak's units are not good units
I don't have one. But I can't find anything negative regarding them. The 130 was Quad Vena 2 based, the 230 I'm not entirely sure, but it's meant to be a nice upgrade going by the opinions of others, whatever that is worth.

To be honest, probably don't expect it to be the absolute best, it's a £1000 amp(minus the wood) should imagine it's just as good as the equivalent Audiolab or Roksan maybe. Should imagine if it was measured here it would likely be acceptable, but nothing absolutely stellar. There isn't really much about regarding them that's worth listening to or reading besides customer reviews. A large part of this range is kind of the design first and foremost. I might try one after I move, will see. Ideally I was going to go the powered monitor route with a one box type solution, but if the Sandwich 250's turn out to actually measure quite well I may decide to go for the Leak system as I do find the aesthetic rather pleasing. It's the speakers I'm more interested in measurements wise, the amplifier is pretty much a dead cert to be good enough for most ear's, very unlikely it's going to be an absolute clunker given the brands under the IAG brand, should be at least as good as any other from them for equivalent price.

hollandstein

I have the 230 with a pair of KLH Model 3 and I love it. Totally satisfied. The DAC is great and I sold my Musical Fidelity phono because the internal is just that good. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

OP
A

alaios

and you did not feel that you need any room correction I guess

kiwitaz4

I have the 230 with a pair of KLH Model 3 and I love it. Totally satisfied. The DAC is great and I sold my Musical Fidelity phono because the internal is just that good. It's a fantastic piece of kit.
This is really interesting. How do you find the Model 3s with the Leak? I tested the Model 5s with my 130, but was discouraged from the Model 3s by the sales rep as by his opinion, “I’d need a sub with that amp combination”

Top Bottom