• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo 130 or 230 from leak. Do we have any good reviews

alaios

Hi all,
are these two amplifiers from leak completely trash? It seems they are not reviewed in detail and I can not find in depth reviews. Why is that? Are these of so low quality?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these of so low quality?
You mean low quality marketing? They should have sent their products to any magazine to get glowing reviews as others do.
are these two amplifiers from leak completely trash? It seems they are not reviewed in detail and I can not find in depth reviews. Why is that?
Send one to @amirm we should be fixed at some point.;)

Measurements of the 130 there:
Anecdotical performance for its price.

OP
A

alaios

I only see "lifestyle" reviews without measurements and extensive testing. 'I live in Greece so hard to send one to @amirm :(

nawfal07

Lack of reviews is no indicator of quality. Either the company doesn't send review units to reviewers or it wasn't popular enough for reviewers to acquire with their own money.

Perhaps they're just protective and doesn't want their engineering leaked.

Members have been sending units to @amirm for review from all over the world, I don't think it would be a problem.

OP
A

alaios

thanks. do I get the unit back shipped to Greece ?:)
This is the most serious review that I can find

OP
A

alaios

You mean low quality marketing? They should have sent their products to any magazine to get glowing reviews as others do.

Send one to @amirm we should be fixed at some point.;)

Measurements of the 130 there:
Anecdotical performance for its price.
Can you please comment about the 130 measurements? What is so wrong with those?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AP measurements for the Stereo 130, by @John Atkinson :
1000023330.jpg

1000023332.jpg

It's actually good, while not the last word for power.

OP
A

alaios

What good means? And how much power you see in the figure above?

Barry_Sound

What good means? And how much power you see in the figure above?
Depends on how loud you want to hear. Or if you have speakers that suck a lot of power.

"The power into 4 ohms we see peaking around 52 watts (0.15% THD) before it skyrockets."

Short38

Read the entire set of measurements in this months Stereophile. Passes muster on multiple levels. For grins compare to the other amp reviewed in same issue.

OP
A

alaios

Depends on how loud you want to hear. Or if you have speakers that suck a lot of power.

"The power into 4 ohms we see peaking around 52 watts (0.15% THD) before it skyrockets."

no idea what it means that they might suck a lot of power.
Here are my specs
Oberon On-Wall
Frequency Range (+/-3 dB) [Hz]55 - 26,000
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB]86.5
Nominal Impedance [ohms]6
Maximum SPL [dB]107

OP
A

alaios

Read the entire set of measurements in this months Stereophile. Passes muster on multiple levels. For grins compare to the other amp reviewed in same issue.
may I ask for a more specific link for this?

Barry_Sound

Oberon On-Wall speakers, are you using them for background music? Anyway, dont overthink the amp. Anything decent will work fine with your speakers.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
no idea what it means that they might suck a lot of power.
Here are my specs
Looks like the 230 is a little over 70 W into 8 ohms (Fig. 5) before the distortion gets too high, and around 100 W (Fig. 6) into 4 ohms. For 6 ohm speakers, figure somewhere around 85 W/channel of usable power.

With the sensitivity of your speakers, it may be adequate. But, much depends on the size of your room and how loud you like to listen to your music. If it is a medium to small room, and you listen at reasonable volume levels, it should be fine. If, however, you have a big room and like to crank it up, you probably need something more powerful.

Here is a review that came out today on the Leak Stereo 230:

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah.... something about this unit and Leak in general smells wee bit...

"The operation of Direct mode (in this amplifier) has an immediately noticeable effect on the sound. You don't need "golden ears" for this, and many less experienced listeners will rate the results as phenomenal.

The secret of this success, however, lies not in simplifying the path and reducing noise, but in the fact that turning on Direct changes the sensitivity of the entire path and the voltage at the speaker outputs increases by 2 dB.
"

LOL as the kids say

OP
A

alaios

Oberon On-Wall speakers, are you using them for background music? Anyway, dont overthink the amp. Anything decent will work fine with your speakers.
I use them for all the music that I listen to. Having speakers at the floor was never an option

OP
A

alaios

Yeah.... something about this unit and Leak in general smells wee bit...

"The operation of Direct mode (in this amplifier) has an immediately noticeable effect on the sound. You don't need "golden ears" for this, and many less experienced listeners will rate the results as phenomenal.

The secret of this success, however, lies not in simplifying the path and reducing noise, but in the fact that turning on Direct changes the sensitivity of the entire path and the voltage at the speaker outputs increases by 2 dB.
"

LOL as the kids say

do you mean it is a "cheap" unit?

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would get an amp with subwoofer out, as your oberon on wall doesn’t produce any low bass. I have six of them for atmos.

Top Bottom