• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntable atop of other devices

alaios

Hi all,
I have a relative small surface in my living room where two devices are side by side like the picture below:
leak-stereo-130-cdt-4-580x326.webp

i also plan to get a turntable, budget max 1000 euros that I will connect to the amp. Is it possible to put the turntable above the two devices? Depth wise the CD transport and the amplifier have slightly more depth than a typical turntable. I guess I can also get some special foot that will isolate the turntable from the devices.

Is this too much of a blasphemy?

AaronJ

I do not think it is a good idea to put a turntable directly on top of another component, especially a power amp. I recommend getting a stand so that it sits above them, or making one out of a butcher block cutting board and some legs from Ikea.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
TT don't like surfaces that virbrate. So don't put them on a washing machine or a tumble dryer.
Beware of blocking vents.
Put it on the CD player will do.
Best is not to buy a TT at all. Why squander a fortune on a obsolete technology?

Last edited:

HoweSound

I use an earlier version of this Ikea Lack table for my turntable. Mine is oak finish and the quality may be somewhat better than the current white model. It's cheap and provides good vibration isolation.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
i also plan to get a turntable

Best of cause is not to buy a TT at all. Why squander a fortune on a obsolete technology?
Right... WHY do you want a turntable? Have you had one before?

...I have one left-over from the analog days that I keep-around for occasionally digitizing a record that's not available digitally. But, even in the analog days the "snap", "crackle", and "pop" annoyed me. (It didn't seem to bother most people.) I could "live with" the other sound-quality limitations and inconvenience, but I don't have to.

budget max 1000 euros
That's reasonable. You probably don't want to go too cheap but you can easily get to the point where the record itself is the limitation. Ot me, it doesn't make sense to spend thousands of dollars/euros on something that can never match the sound of an inexpensive CD player.

If I were buying a turntable, I'd seriously consider the Audio Technica AT-LP120 . It's direct drive so there are no belts or drive wheels to wear out.* It comes ready-to-play with a phono cartridge, and a (optional) built-in phono preamp in case your amp doesn't have one built-into it. And it's got USB in case you want to digitize your records.

* I have a direct drive Technics turntable (not the famous-expensive DJ model) and although it's 30 or 40 years old, I've never had any trouble with it.

Last edited:
OP
A

alaios

I want a turntable to remember the people that have left their music behind.

So, can I have some special feet (even expensive ones) to put it above of both devices? The amp does not get hot and there will still be some ventilation left

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd try on top of the cd player rather than amp. A good tt setup wouldn't need special feet if that cabinet is solid (and the floor to an extent).

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I use an earlier version of this Ikea Lack table for my turntable. Mine is oak finish and the quality may be somewhat better than the current white model. It's cheap and provides good vibration isolation.

Incidentally, the space between the legs is exactly 19", which means you can also use this as a rack to install professional 19" equipment.

800px-LackRack.jpg

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Also be aware of magnetic fields - avoid having transformers too close to the arm leads.

JeremyFife

If you want a turntable then that's your choice - no issues.

No magic to worry about either: don't block heat from your electronics and don't put your turntable on something wobbly.

I wouldn't sit a TT directly on electronics, but a simple rack or shelf giving a few cm clearance would be fine.
Wall mounted shelves for TTs are neat, but need to be sturdy.

Do not spend loads of money on "hi-fi " furniture - that's a scam.
Aesthetics you like and non-wobbly is what you need.

Enjoy :)

JeremyFife

You triggered the Harpies.

Can you put the amp on top of the disc player and put the turntable to the side?
I read that as "put the TT on IT'S side ..." nice trick :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A wall shelf will isolate the turntable from structural based vibration ( you walking).
Keith

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Some advice that will serve you well. Decouple the turntable. Probably a wall mount is better in your case.
NEVER set a turntable on other equipment.

Rackmounts and wall mounts can still be isolated from the wall or the rack.

SHORT quality cables. The one place cables really do matter. Not expensive cables, the right cables.

More than anything enjoy the music and remember it doesn't cost a fortune, BUT there are just some basic rules to follow.

Flippin' vinyl on an old Russco tonight, wonderful units.

Regards

Shoot, I posted and then saw post #13

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I agree with others. You really need to isolate turntables and standing them on other kit is probably not optimal. The signals from cartridges are very low and so you may get interference. A wall mount is the best choice. But if you want relatively cheap feet, these may work : https://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Amplifier-Turntable-Subwoofer-Isolation/dp/B0BVK93P3N/

They may, though, with the mass of the turntable have a resonant frequency which makes the rubbish below 30Hz worse...

DSJR

Major Contributor
How NOT to demonstrate a vinyl system - This via a dealer too - The Harbeth Nelson sub-stand' would only make things very much worse too as the only bass they could enhance here would be of the thick and muddy type plus HUMMMMMMMMMMM from the amp mains transformer...

1705682181755.png

I appreciate that the Leak gear may have well shielded power supplies (unlike the toroid in the Rega amp above which radiated above and below), but the average deck under a grand these days tends to be a lightweight if not resonant solid plinth or box-frame type with stylish looking rubber bungs for feet/isolation (even Regas!!!). For best quality of sound, the deck MUST be isolated, either on a wall bracket if the wall is suitable and the siting isn't in a corner, or a table such as the Lack suggested (we used these a lot until fancy-foo alternatives became available which to start with were arguably worse (the UK Sound Organisation ones with flexible shelves which added bass colorations all their own!).

As said above, please DON'T waste money on any vinyl source unless you have an existing collection of records to play.

Godataloss

Why not stack the amp and cd player as it was designed to be and put a turntable next to it as god intended?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
A wall shelf will isolate the turntable from structural based vibration ( you walking).
Keith
If you've got brick or concrete walls and wooden floors that's probably true. If you've got a concrete floor and a plasterboard partition wall, probably not so much, although it may not be you walking that it's picking up.

Top Bottom