• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntable atop of other devices

ta240

Major Contributor
I can't believe it took to the 2nd reply before someone tried to save them from the evils of Turntables.
temp.jpg

But, even in the analog days the "snap", "crackle", and "pop" annoyed me. (It didn't seem to bother most people.) I could "live with" the other sound-quality limitations and inconvenience, but I don't have to.
Clean your records. All but about 2 of mine don't crackle or pop and some are 40 years old and weren't treated well back then.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems more Pavlovian.

“Pops and clicks!” “Snake Oil!” “SINAD!!”

There are terms that trigger certain types.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Look. As long as vinylistas will admit that it is, the tinkering and ability to tinker. Rather than, just enjoying actual music, I'm happy! :cool:
On topic, I think the op. Is "inheriting" a load of vinyl. Naturally he's got to have something to play it on. Even I would not recommend a Crossly!

Tatr76

A game I play on ASR. Whenever I see a new thread asking a technical question about a TT, nothing to do with sound reproduction I always try and guess how long before the obligatory don't get one/rubbish/digitise, bonus points for who out of the serial posters just waiting it is. I had comment 7 today :(

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
A game I play on ASR. Whenever I see a new thread asking a technical question about a TT, nothing to do with sound reproduction I always try and guess how long before the obligatory don't get one/rubbish/digitise, bonus points for who out of the serial posters just waiting it is. I had comment 7 today :(
As long as we are giving you pleasure Tat! :)

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
A wall shelf will isolate the turntable from structural based vibration ( you walking).
Keith
… not so sure, What about the walls? They vibrate too, especially when playing music ..

No problems having a reasonable size/weight TT on top of my preamp, no hum or EMF problems. The Preamp is solidly made. A height gap of 1cm. 40watt from preamp, does not get warm
IMG_2165.jpeg

Last edited:

olieb

… not so sure, What about the walls? They vibrate too, especially when playing music ..
My guess is Keith was talking about brick (concrete) walls, dry walls might be different if you do not have sturdy studs.
Brick walls will not vibrate vertically and very little horizontally unless you bump into them in a regular manner. The floor will have a much bigger amplitude if it is not built directly on the soil and even then the floor usually is a floating screed.
Decent turntables with a good suspension will work fine in many places of course.

Emulator II

No need for expensive isolation. Use something like this. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BG59PRD4
I assume that these things are far too stiff to successfully isolate a turntable (they are intended for washing machines that weigh anywhere between 60 and 90 kg). I think you're better off with these things made of Sylomer, especially since they can be adjusted to the weight of the turntable: https://amzn.eu/d/d28SQ60

Here a link to the manufacturer: https://www.getzner.com/en/products/sylomer

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for your possible reference and interest...

Revival of analog LP player (MC cartridge) in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system for real time on-the-fly vinyl LP listening (and digital recording, if needed)

Inside of Audio-Technica AT-PEQ30 phono preamplifier, and successful DIY suppression of inaudible EMF (electro-magnetic field) interference noise

Summary of my motivations reviving vinyl TT (turntable) in DSP-based multichannel time-aligned multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo audio setup

and, the details of my latest system setup can be found here;
The latest system setup of my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio rig as of August 3, 2023

Nowadays I seldom use/power-on the big and heavy (22.0 kg) CD player DENON DCD-3500RG; the big and heavy (24.4 kg) ACCUPHASE E-460 is a physically "cool" (I mean slightly warm, around 40 degree-C on work) class-AB integrated amplifier. I have no heat nor vibration problem at all, therefore, with my TT DENON DP-57L (12.4 kg including the 854 g LP stabilizer) in this stacking layout, and the TT's vertical position of about 1,400 mm above the floor is really nice (even perfect!) for my occasional "vinyl LP play ceremony".:D
WS00005895 (2).JPG

WS00005876.JPG

WS00005133 (2).JPG

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
I assume that these things are far too stiff to successfully isolate a turntable (they are intended for washing machines that weigh anywhere between 60 and 90 kg). I think you're better off with these things made of Sylomer, especially since they can be adjusted to the weight of the turntable: https://amzn.eu/d/d28SQ60

Here a link to the manufacturer: https://www.getzner.com/en/products/sylomer
Depends on how heavy your TT is. ;) Those ones you linked to also look great but the colours are a little too garish for my taste.

Emulator II

Depends on how heavy your TT is. ;) Those ones you linked to also look great but the colours are a little too garish for my taste.
Of course! ;) One can only hope that the manufacturers of these 60-90kg tables have already thought about proper isolation.

I agree with you about the colored dampers, of course a bit of tinkering is required here.

AaronJ

With regards to mounting a turntable to the wall, I had an interesting case where the stylus would pick up the low-level 60Hz hum from the subwoofer in the corner and it would create a feedback loop that would cause the subwoofer to pump violently. I could fix this by either moving the subwoofer from the corner or taking the turntable off the wall and sitting it on the rack below it. Ultimately I ended up getting rid of the wall mount and haven't had any issues since then. I didn't have the turntable mounted to the wall to fix any particular problem - I had moved houses and decided to set it up this way.

Top Bottom