• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starke Sound AD4.320 Amp Review (Sample 2)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 242 94.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

filo97s

I don't expect anything more from a company that declares fanciful specs like "watt RMS", "watt PMPO" or other shit like this.

Anthony T

A perfect example of why ASR is gaining traction.
Starke Sounds is at best being deceptive and at worst openly committing fraud.
I feel for the owners of this component, it’s just landfill material.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FROM Home Theater's review (no measurements....just listening)

Based on what I’ve heard, I must give the Starke Sound AD4.320 my highest recommendation.

Honestly, if Starke Sound priced this amplifier at three to five times its actual price, audiophiles would be more likely to take it seriously and give it the consistent rave reviews that it deserves. Its performance justifies that level of consideration. But if you want a sound-for-the-money bargain in the here and now, look closely at the Starke AD4.320!

Is it possible that "weasel words" were used?

the specs don't say each channel, they say all four

amp.png

Update:

from comments on the previous testing by amir, I found this:

I purchased one of these on trial last holiday postseason (@$999). I actually had several pleasant email exchanges with Scott, the president of Starke, both before and after the purchase. In those, I actually asked him specifically about their rather confusing specs. He confirmed the specs were per channel figures. And also clarified that the bridged figures stated into 2 ohms (since that’s what the amp sees in bridged mode) were for 4 ohm speaker loads. And that the modules were stable down to 1 ohm (since my speakers dipped significantly below 4 ohms).

Last edited:

KxDx

View attachment 180401
That's what it sounds like! This way they can simultaneously be misleading but also technically correct.

After all, it's the stupid customer's fault for misinterpreting their measurements, right?

Here's their spec for the $9000 top of the line 2-channel amp:
  • Output Power
  • 640W RMS x 2 at 4Ω
  • 320W RMS x 2 at 8Ω
  • ClassA power 65W at 2Ω, 4Ω, 8Ω
They specifically state per channel here. Funny, that.

PeteL

Major Contributor

Yes, no gfalse claims the

View attachment 180401
Update:

from comments on the previous testing by amir, I found this:
That's what it sounds like! This way they can simultaneously be misleading but also technically correct.

After all, it's the stupid customer's fault for misinterpreting their measurements, right?

Here's their spec for the $9000 top of the line 2-channel amp:
  • Output Power
  • 640W RMS x 2 at 4Ω
  • 320W RMS x 2 at 8Ω
  • ClassA power 65W at 2Ω, 4Ω, 8Ω
They specifically state per channel here. Funny, that.
Yes, no false claims there at all, it says what it says. The president of Starke may be confused himself but at least they don't lie in their specs. There are no standardized way to power specs unfortunately, it has been like this forever, its not a new thing.

Last edited:

africanus

If the specifications refer to total output power, this amplifier must be one of a kind. I have never seen an amplifier with decreasing total output power the more channels are driven. Admittedly, my experience is limited though.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If the specifications refer to total output power, this amplifier must be one of a kind. I have never seen an amplifier with decreasing total output power the more channels are driven. Admittedly, my experience is limited though.
The Total output power is not decreasing as more channels are driven, it's increasing, it's quite common that one channel would be able tu push more than one quarter of the total if only one channel is using the power supply for himself.

Jdunk54nl

That would also mean a small company would go successful because of ASR, meritocracy wins.

Like buckeye amps. They've definitely gone successful.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm if you are allowed can you open the unit and check to see if the mains voltage switch is set correctly (117VAC). After all this has been the standard excuse given on the web why the measurements are wrong. It will be nice if that excuse was to be eliminated, especially now that you tested two samples.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i posted a link of this report in Jay's "rave" review of this amp -- lets see what he says (or not says)!
he'll say something like this: "but it sounds sublime and easily drives my inefficient speakers. And who needs that much power anyway? No one actually uses that much power."

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is clear that the 320 is not the product to buy. Instead, one should consider the more expensive, and heavier 640.

Influencer Glenn Young, over at the Hi-Fi Secrets Web presence, listened to the bigger Starke, finding that it did powerful and amazing things. And it did it all without cooling fans. Glenn was going to measure it, but didn't have the time. But the amplifier's plusses so outweighed its minuses, that he didn't consider the lack of a bench report to be of much value or importance, within his overall musical experience.

What was important to him, and what any potential buyer should also consider important, was that the big Starke amplifier made his recorded music 'spring with verve'. Especially Brazilian smooth jazz, and especially the one with the album cover featuring a woman in low cut jeans sipping a martini. For Glenn, it was 'all there'. I presume he meant the music. But maybe the the amplifier allowed him to discern the difference between Bombay Sapphire and Beefeater, in the girl's martini.

Glenn wanted to buy the Starke (at a promotional discount?), however for reasons he didn't disclose, his wife refused to let him keep the amp. Possibly because she didn't want to help him move the heavy amplifier from place to place in his listening room. Or possibly it was jealousy directed at the girl from Rio. A real audiophile would get a new wife.

starke-sound-power-amplifier-fig-10.jpg

africanus

The Total output power is not decreasing as more channels are driven, it's increasing, it's quite common that one channel would be able tu push more than one quarter of the total if only one channel is using the power supply for himself.

Maybe I am reading specifications incorrectly, but it seems they are:

430 W RMS at 4 Ohms - 2 Channel
320 W RMS at 4 Ohms - 4 Channel

So if these are total output power, then total output power decreases with the number of channels driven.

Ra1zel

That would also mean a small company would go successful because of ASR, meritocracy wins.
Thats just Topping and SMSL then

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
The "standard excuse" (transformer) is just that. A diversion if you will. If they can bring it up to spec, they have passed the time in which to do that. And since the standard excuse was fiction, the brand is going to suffer

Top Bottom