• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starke Sound AD4.320 Amp Review (Sample 2)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 242 94.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

Soundlover

I see no testing company specified anywhere. Does that appear anywhere in Chinese, Soundlover? Who did the "independent testing"?
They didn't say who did the "independent testing"。Isn't this their usual style?

Soundlover

D7

Attachments

• 221116zuvxrrxsrx8qa7cx.jpg
    221116zuvxrrxsrx8qa7cx.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 198

nstzya

What is the D7? The new 3rd generation digital amplifier? Who volunteers to have one drop shipped to Amir?

Also, can you clear up some confusion with these Chinese translations? Why does company translate in two different ways - Yosemine or Yousheng Meiying? As well as the owner's name, Spring Qin? Which also translates as Qin Chunlai?

I do love the translated section about "businessmen's malicious rhythmic and dirty behaviors" though...

audio_lover

What is the D7? The new 3rd generation digital amplifier?

Also, can you clear up some confusion with these Chinese translations? Why does company translate in two different ways - Yosemine or Yousheng Meiying? As well as the owner's name, Spring Qin? Which also translates as Qin Chunlai?

I do love the translated section about "businessmen's malicious rhythmic and dirty behaviors"...
No the D7 is a Icepower based amp from a few years ago

Soundlover

What is the D7? The new 3rd generation digital amplifier? Who volunteers to have one drop shipped to Amir?

I do love the translated section about "businessmen's malicious rhythmic and dirty behaviors" though...
Yosemine is the company in English and Yousheng Meiying is their Chinese name in Direct Translation. So, they are the same!
Regarding the translation of their announcement,I just use Google translation,so there may be alot of mistakes. The announcement only had Chinese version.

nstzya

Again, for those so inclined:

Last edited:

Soundlover

I am very supportive and envious that you have the means to complain. It is very little we can do here. Until now, they continue to cheat consumers.

Attachments

• 全一.png
    全一.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • 全二.png
    全二.png
    1 MB · Views: 134

Walelas

I bought 2 AD4s last year, one full price and one on sale for Black Friday, and never unboxed, nearly bought a 3rd one used from an ebay seller, but promptly cancelled that buy after reading on ASR re the sad tests.

I have since contacted Starke for a full refund, and they are being picked up Monday, by one of the Starke brass. That refund will nearly cover the ATI AT524NC I will use to power my 4 SVS Prime Elevation side and rear surrounds. I already bought an ATI AT523NC for LCR duty with 3 SVS Ultra Bookshelf units. I had intended the 2 AD4s for LCR and surrounds, but not after being measured here.

I will use the Outlaw 5000X for the 4 SVS PE height speakers, still unboxed as well. My 2 Eminence Lab 12C based subs will be powered by a pair of mono OSD SMP1000DSPs. My center piece is another still boxed unit, Anthem MRX 1140, had wanted an AVM70, but if I have to upgrade, the receiver should sell faster.

A side note is that the gen 3 Starke class D will be switching PSU based, but otherwise the same as the gen. 2 AD4.320. Seems like they are going with the wrong linear psus story.

nstzya

I'd be interested what his response might be to a proposal to submit one of these Gen 3 amps to Amir for testing...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be interested what his response might be to a proposal to submit one of these Gen 3 amps to Amir for testing...
Have you ever heard a pack of hyenas laughing?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They need to make measurements and post it themselves. Given that I consider them to have very low ethics, I won't accept a unit from them directly. Members of course can purchase and send it to me for testing.

Walelas

I will of course mention that, thinking Amir to be correct in Starke should seek testing by an independent lab, here in the US.

Walelas

Update; Yesterday Desmond Fretz, Starke Sound Director of Sales, (US,) came by my house and picked up my 2 still unopened AD 4.320 amps.
He acknowledged their unopened state, and mentioned they would go into B stock sales. I told him I would expect a full refund to my Paypal account the same day, since it was about 0945, shouldn't be a problem since he would be at Starke Hq the same morning'

No refund activity on Paypal yesterday, so I called Des, since calls to Starke only get Scott DeLoache recordings, and no call backs. Desomond told me Scott was the one handling the refunds, and he would talk to him. Still no refunds this morning, and again I called Starke Hq, more recording, mentioned I was not happy seeing no refunds until that time, and expected full repayment today. This afternoon, I noticed one amp refund had posted just before 1200, so halfway there.
if I'd
Second one hasn't yet and it is now 1907. I did call Desmond around 1630, no answer, went to voicemail, voiced my displeasure at only being refunded for one amp so far. Told him if I'd taken them in person back to their 20, I would have not left, without full refunding, shouldn't be different having Desmond taking them for me. I am very weary of this situation.

There was a positive development, Fedex brought my new ATI AT 524NC today, to join my new AT 523NC.

Walelas

Update; Yesterday Desmond Fretz, Starke Sound Director of Sales, (US,) came by my house and picked up my 2 still unopened AD 4.320 amps.
He acknowledged their unopened state, and mentioned they would go into B stock sales. I told him I would expect a full refund to my Paypal account the same day, since it was about 0945, shouldn't be a problem since he would be at Starke Hq the same morning'

No refund activity on Paypal yesterday, so I called Des, since calls to Starke only get Scott DeLoache recordings, and no call backs. Desomond told me Scott was the one handling the refunds, and he would talk to him. Still no refunds this morning, and again I called Starke Hq, more recording, mentioned I was not happy seeing no refunds until that time, and expected full repayment today. This afternoon, I noticed one amp refund had posted just before 1200, so halfway there.
if I'd
Second one hasn't yet and it is now 1907. I did call Desmond around 1630, no answer, went to voicemail, voiced my displeasure at only being refunded for one amp so far. Told him if I'd taken them in person back to their 20, I would have not left, without full refunding, shouldn't be different having Desmond taking them for me. I am very weary of this situation.

There was a positive development, Fedex brought my new ATI AT 524NC today, to join my new AT 523NC.
Finally, after repeated calls to Scott DeLoach, and Desmond Fretz of Starke Sound ( and messages left 'cause they weren't picking up,) the refund for the 2nd AD4.320, was posted to my Paypal account. The total came to nearly the amount of my new ATI AT524NC amp.

och77

I reviewed and measured the Starke Sound AD4.320 multichannel amplifier a few months ago. This is the measurements of a second sample kindly sent in by a member.
View attachment 180360

The first sample missed its power by a factor of two. Company disputed this and promised their own measurements that would show otherwise. This did not materialize. We did find out that the review sample received by Audioholics had similar power shortfall to my (new) sample. Explanation given through Audioholics was that a few samples had miswired power supplies rated for 240 instead of 120. This was puzzling as the unit has a switch for such selection internally. I have not heard of any new results by Audioholics but a member sent me his unit for measurement so let's see how it does.

Starke Sound AD4.320 Measurements (Sample #2)
I am only going to post abbreviated measurements to verify whether this sample is any different. Let's start with our dashboard:

View attachment 180362

While the nature of power supply noise and to small extend distortion spectrum is different, overall SINAD matches the same as the last unit. So at 5 watts into 4 ohm, the two units match. Key though is to see how much power we have. Let's start with 4 ohm:

View attachment 180363
Well, we have the same results and massive shortfall relative to 320 watt spec as I have copied into the graph from their website. Allowing for 1% distortion again produces similar results to sample 1:

View attachment 180364

Same story with 8 ohm:

View attachment 180365
64 watts vs specifications of 225 watts and I am only driving two channels instead of four they claim.

I decided to test just one channel to rule out power supply capacity issue:

View attachment 180366

We get a bit more power but still less than half of the company spec. So supply capacity is not an issue.

As to demystify power measurements, here is our dashboard again, this time measuring the unit with 160 watts out:
View attachment 180368

We easily see that the sinewave is clipping so the amplifier is beyond its capability.

Conclusions
As I think all of us predicted, this amplifier simply cannot produce its rated power. Somewhere from inception to what they are shipping, the design has changed to produce far less power. Customers sadly though, have been buying these amps thinking this amplifier produces 4 times 320 watts which it can't remotely do. Company needs to step up and be transparent about the issue here. Owners and I should not be saddled with continuing to spend money and resources to test their products. It only makes things worse for them.

I can't recommend buying this amplifier or any product from Starke Sound. You can't promise people one gallon of milk but put half as much in the jug....

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Very good review! Thanks
I owned this amp last year.
After I read this review, I plan to sell it. I use this amp for my front & centre speaker.
Any 3 channels amp recommended?
I plan to get Anthem MCA 325, so far can't find any review on this amp.

Walelas

Very good review! Thanks
I owned this amp last year.
After I read this review, I plan to sell it. I use this amp for my front & centre speaker.
Any 3 channels amp recommended?
I plan to get Anthem MCA 325, so far can't find any review on this amp.
I have replaced my AD4 with an ATI AT523NC, cost to me was $2500.00, but it makes legitimate power, and is made here in SoCal, with a 7 year warranty. Went through Ccraig Shumer of Amps Direct.

mdzzle

As an update to an earlier post, I was an owner of two of these amps. Despite being generally pleased with them I returned them on principal after seeing these test results. Starke did provide me a label for free return shipping. I was out of the country for a while so it took some time for me to actually send them back, but after I did Starke indeed refunded the full purchase price just a day or two after receiving them back. Nevertheless, and needless to say, I won't be making any purchases from Starke again in the future.

FWIW, to replace the two Starke amps I ordered a Buckeye amp (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/). He was great to work with, talked through options with me and is both very knowledgeable and friendly. I'm still a few months out from receiving the amp but I purchased with confidence due to the reviews and positive feedback here on ASR. It's going to be pretty much a wash money wise, but a huge quality upgrade!

I want to say thanks to @amirm specifically and to the ASR community generally for all you do for the AV/hi-fi consumer through this site!

nstzya

Glad it worked out for you @mdzzle. Anyone have suggestions on how to inform other owners who might not frequent these forums? Ideally, Starke would realize on their own and post a formal announcement on their website as well as contact all owners directly. Truly don't understand this PR debacle - so responsive on an individual level, but ONLY if you "find out" on your own. They would not be the first company who required regulatory nudging to do the right thing.

Top Bottom