• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I developed a liquid nitrogen cooling system that runs along the cables keeping them icy cold, so they remain cryogenically treated. The effect is the music sounds like it's coming from the heavens and created by angels.

JSmith
Who is developing the hot plasma conduit cables? A niche still open perhaps? Suitable for sinful music coming from the hot depths of hades.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Who is developing the hot plasma conduit cables? A niche still open perhaps? Suitable for sinful music coming from the hot depths of hades.

Robin L

Master Contributor

wrigglycheese

It won't. Not even after many years. If it were all digital connections and TV cables would start to loose signal after a week or so.
And this is in the MHz to GHz range, audio is in the kHz range.

Some things in life are pointless to measure because of physics.

I love this place.

mansr

Major Contributor
I have a question. It wouldn't occur to me that noise picked up in the cable would affect the sound of music if I didn't hear any noise with the source (connected via that cable) powered off or muted, and the amplifier volume/gain turned up to where I usually have it. If I didn't hear any noise in this scenario, it wouldn't occur to me that there might might be audible noise present when listening to music (or whatever) transmitted from that source, via that cable. In fact, the test I would use to make certain that the music isn't being degraded by noise is this, i.e., power off the source component, turn up the volume to the usual setting, and listen to see if I hear any noise being picked up in the cable. I am curious why you would not regard this simple test as a reliable way to determine whether noise picked up by that cable would be degrading the music transmitted from that source.
Oh, but that won't tell you what happens to the microdynamics.

Loathecliff

No one is going to come up with anything new, undiscovered or mysterious about cabling...
I did yesterday with the vital amplifier to power cable interface and my genius was unfathomably ignored.
Hence no one (except me) knows what they are missing...........and it's massive :eek:

boswell

Wire burn-in is a fact! I bought my speaker wire thirty years ago and I can tell you that a 16kHz test tone, that was shrieky and loud when I first got the speaker wire, is now barely audible. So not only is that proof that speaker wire burns in, I’ll add it is constantly burning in and that 16 kHz test tone might not even be audible in the next year or two. You don’t need Amir to test anything because I’ve already proved it. The copper MUST be changing its properties to reduce high frequencies so significantly. I can think of no other possible reason.
You kept using a cable that you knew was shrieky and loud for 30 years. What was the jitter on the 16 kHz back then and how is it now?

peanuts

ofcourse its real, nordost has an expensive machine for it. so it must be real heh
Vidar.jpg

Juhazi

Major Contributor
To be clear, i think its subjective snake oil and the mind wanting to hear a difference, so it convinces you there is a difference. Its just cool to see the graphs which 'put to bed' any notion of any change in frequencies and it is indeed your brain playing tricks on you

This is the best joke so far, keep on knocking!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We put some primitive DAC chips on Voyager 1, still working (till 2025).
No mean feat, when you consider what I presume has been a pretty substantial dose of cosmic radiation and other stuff that's potentially rough on microcircuitry over the decades!

:D
Unfortunately it is a thing and has been around for some time;
Funny how they don't do this for the cables used to connect flight computers in a aeroplane.

JSmith
Good heavens! The safety implications of this, for me, just sunk sank in! Imagine the catastrophe that might ensue if the soundstage collapsed on some fly-by-wire cables!! The one connected to the elevator loses some of the depth and imaging, and the CPU thinks its connected to the flaps. Oh, the humanity.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
D

DannyBukem

It’s quite humorous when audiophiles feel things like cables are extra special vs ones used to make scientific discoveries

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'll give you ten-to-one odds that at the manufacturing facility where these are made, the people who stick those little direction stickers on the cables put them on randomly.
Reminds me of a cartoon I remember seeing years ago (in Road & Track, MAD, Playboy, or The New Yorker... one of those) of a car in a gas station. There are three pumps on the service lane island, labeled regular, extra, and premium. The cartoon shows an underground cutaway view of the three supply pipes extending down from the pumps... all connected to one big gasoline reservoir tank. ;)

Once those electrons slip under the self-noise of absolute zero, entities from the nethers start slippin' between the notes.
Use extreme caution.
ya know that Jane Siberry/k.d. lang duet "Calling all angels"? Yeah, you really don't want all of 'em. trust me

Any quote referencing Calling All Angels gets a like! :)

If cables don't burn in then why can i have faster internet today then 15 years ago?
It’s still the same cable!

Yes, but you've lost depth and width around all of those bits -- it happened so gradually that you didn't notice it... like boiling a frog.
:cool:

(EDIT: boy howdy, the text formatting here & I are not interfacing efficaciously today! :( )

Darkscience

In my subjective experience, after switching my interconnects from a Mogami 2534 XLR cable (was used in my system continuously for over 1 year) to a freshly built and assembled Mogami 2549 XLR cable, I immediately noticed a difference which I can only describe as "sounding wrong".

In disbelief and confusion, I just decided to leave the music playing in the room and after a few hours came back to listen and then everything sounded much like I remembered (i.e. not sounding "wrong" anymore). Interpret that as you will, but to me the only difference between the first listen and coming back a few hours later, was music playing over time (i.e. "burn in").

Your brain tricked you into thinking it sounded different and then back to the same due to burn in. Do you believe the properties of the wire changed due to the audio signal? This is a myth and EVERYONE needs to stop adding to it in order for it to go away.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Amir also burns his cables in before using it on his AP for at least a few hours.
He even got a card with his cables that he should do so.
He found measurements just ain't the same with a set of fresh cables.

Top Bottom