• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Yes, Ken has been talked about before. He’s hilarious.

I remember all the posts about game changing free energy being right around the corner.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I remember all the posts about game changing free energy being right around the corner.
I think I've mentioned this before, but early in my career I worked for a biotech startup that struggled with timelines sometimes. The more waggish employees were wont to say that our motto was Bringing you yesterday's products, tomorrow.

:cool:

Free energy as in Gibbs free energy, or energy that you don't have to pay for... or that "scalar energy" stuff?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How is the resolution? E.g., does it reject teal electrons? Aquamarine? Cyan? In other words, what's the "Q" like for the green filter?
:cool:

I don't know. I must say though that since I started using these green electrons I've been strangely attracted to this song:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Hilarious thread.
So - other than to sell expensive cables, why could there be any difference? A couple of answers come to mind. Speaker cables - insufficient wire gauge that attenuates the bass supplied to your grossly inefficient speakers. Burn-in time is time required for your brain to fill in the bass that should be there. In audiophile terms - my speakers sound so much quicker now. Corrosion on your wires - use silver wires. If may look bad as it tarnishes but it remains a good conductor. Interconnects - keep it simple and noise free. Avoid garden hose diameter interconnects - eventually will break your RCA jack when you trip over it while fiddling with something else. I have made a lot of interconnects out of good quality shielded twisted pair cable or coax. The RCA plug just needs to be solid and easy to terminate. Lots of cheap plugs made out of gold plated copper available - Parts Express. If I am to make a "special" interconnect the Eichmann bullet plugs are simply outstanding. Easy to terminate and if too tight just heat them up and they will slide on and off that oversized RCA jack with appropriate firmness. Notice I am staying practical here basic mechanics for good connections. No claims of sonic differences. If you can hear major differences from cable to cable - then the cables are being used as a tone control. Not what a cable is supposed to do.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like such a bummer to buy in to the audiophile burn-in myths, where every damn thing you buy doesn't sound right until hundreds of hours of use. Some audiophiles were discussing new capacitors put in their amps, which "took 1,000 hours to truly burn in and reveal what they were capable of." Cripes almighty, what other consumer items would ever be sold on the grounds they just won't work right for hundreds of hours?

I just had to re-tube my amplifiers. Per audiophile myth, they will take at least 100 hours to burn in the tubes. Per my ears: things sound fine.

egellings

Major Contributor
I agree wholeheartedly. I can maybe see a brand new speaker's suspension needing maybe a few minutes of play to soften up a little, but with electronics & wires, no. In a new cable, what would change after a bit of use? But then, audio is a bit like homeopathy, where imagined benefit comes from ingesting a solution that has no active ingredient in it. The believer swears that it works. I 'spoze. Imagined solutions work on imagined problems.

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is not the cable that is "burn in" , it is the listener's ears that are "burn in" in. If you want to think that it sounds better, you will imagine that it sounds better after a while ..

We humans are masters at deceiving ourselves.

Here a person who critically listens. He reports that it is inaudible if there are any deviations regarding the cables' impact on sound quality.
ht_test.jpg

Last edited:

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I read some of the thread linked to on Audiogon, O.M.F.G.! I am no engineer, nor scientist, but some of the insanity there is awe-inspiring. The woo is thick and heavy.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If I had bought some cables when this thread started they would have been very well burned in by now.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I might have a great cable tweak that will make us millions! We get some special lab grade plutonium and we then split the atoms next to a building full of copper wiring. This will cause the electrons to straighten out and flow straight and directly through the copper wire without any "side trips". You end up with ultra efficient copper wire with the electrons all straightened out and being directionally consistent. I smell making money in the air........

Top Bottom