• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable Burn-In - Myth or Fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hagerman

Audio Company
I know many of you have been waiting on this opportunity for quite some time, so here it is. Happy New Year!

Full Disclosure: I am the guy who sells both the FryBaby3 and FryCorder2 burn-in generators.

Anyhow, I recently received a few email testimonials from a customer who was very happy; pleasantly surprised burn-in actually worked, and impressed by how much. Here are the screen captures:

fb3.png

A lot of folks don't believe this is possible, claiming it is all psychological bias, or something like that. We are just fooling ourselves and should be publicly ridiculed. I've realized over the years that all of the nay-sayers have one thing in common - they've actually never tried it! They just somehow 'know' they are correct.

What are the physics behind burn-in? I don't actually know, never been able to figure it out. I have some ideas, but not the chops to dig deep enough into the underlying mechanics to prove anything. I can only go by what has been shown to be effective. There are plenty more customer testimonials at my website, but they pretty much reflect what has been said above.

MAB

Major Contributor
What are the physics behind burn-in?
There are no credible physical mechanisms.
The pre-and post Burn-In (and cryo, etc.) contain not a hint of electrical change. And no evidence of audible change either.
nay-sayers have one thing in common - they've actually never tried it
Incorrect. AES and others have conducted properly controlled studies on all sorts of equipment audibility topics. People can't tell the difference. Even amps, my favorite is on page 80:
Cannot tell the difference between a Futterman and a Levenson and a Pioneer receiver.
And to be clear, I have tried it. I was selling these gear in 1987, this did not surprise me since I (and our entire store staff) already had failed to tell the difference between Levinson and Audio Research amps vs. Niles multi-zone amps under blind testing.

I will admit, conductors don't get as many tests as amps and speakers. Perhaps it is because conductivity, and all of the related signal propagation, was solved well before the other more complex systems were developed (amps, speakers, DACs). Think Ohm, Maxwell, Onnes, Kirchhoff et. al. If cable break-in was a thing, don't you think applications more critical than audio would have investigated the heck out of it? High frequency applications would certainly need to know, many orders of magnitude more sensitive than audio. If the same level of changes that audiophiles believe they hear with their ears actually happened, my day job would be totally different!!! The common audiophile seems to think centuries of electrical studies and material science investigations has somehow let the audio community down by not finding what they believe their ears hear in their living rooms. In fact, every aspect of metal conductivity relevant to audio has been turned inside out. The thought that there are audible effects in break-in, or that a listener can hear the copper purity, is absurd. It's sad that
I don't actually know, never been able to figure it out.
This makes me sad.:facepalm:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well perhaps somewhat brave to come here with such a silly proposition....I sell this thing, have no idea if or how it works, but I've convinced some others that it does something good to cables because I read that once, and I got some positive feedback per that suggestion as "proof"..... it is amusing, though. HNY indeed.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So send one to Amir with instructions and some samples of un-burned in cables. Let him test before and after burn in.
That would be a great test in reverse. Send a box of cables to a burn in believer. Put labels on them from one to ten. Ask which five have been burnt in and which haven’t. Make sure to insert the ‘fresh’ cables onto RCA jacks exactly once so they all have similar wear marks.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I know many of you have been waiting on this opportunity for quite some time, so here it is. Happy New Year!

Full Disclosure: I am the guy who sells both the FryBaby3 and FryCorder2 burn-in generators.

Anyhow, I recently received a few email testimonials from a customer who was very happy; pleasantly surprised burn-in actually worked, and impressed by how much. Here are the screen captures:

View attachment 339139

A lot of folks don't believe this is possible, claiming it is all psychological bias, or something like that. We are just fooling ourselves and should be publicly ridiculed. I've realized over the years that all of the nay-sayers have one thing in common - they've actually never tried it! They just somehow 'know' they are correct.

What are the physics behind burn-in? I don't actually know, never been able to figure it out. I have some ideas, but not the chops to dig deep enough into the underlying mechanics to prove anything. I can only go by what has been shown to be effective. There are plenty more customer testimonials at my website, but they pretty much reflect what has been said above.
Hi Jim,

Next time you want to promote one of your products please post it in the Desperate Dealers Section of the Forum as directed by our Rules for Vendors. Here is a link to these rules for your convenience:

Appreciate your cooperation and support Jim. I will move this thread there for you.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I have a very large bin chock full of pre-burned in Cables I will let them go at a huge discount if anyone is interested. Some have thousands and thousands of hours of burn in time. Therefore they are not only preburned but seasoned to boot. :rolleyes:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a very large bin chock full of pre-burned in Cables I will let them go at a huge discount if anyone is interested. Some have thousands and thousands of hours of burn in time. Therefore they are not only preburned but seasoned to boot. :rolleyes:
Somehow that's not how burn-in works.

From the company website.
Don't throw out your old cables, bring them back to life with a good burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom