• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solupeak RC-11 Review (Passive Volume Control)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 47.6%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the SOLUPEAK RC-11 passive volume control. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs US $17.
RCA Audio Volume Controller, line Volume Control Box, Mini attenuator knob -RC11 Review.jpg

As you see, this comes in a nice little aluminum enclosure as opposed to the typical plastic post. This should help with interference. Being passive, the back just has the requisite RCA jacks:

RCA Audio Volume Controller, line Volume Control Box, Mini attenuator knob -RC11 RCA Review.jpg

SOLUPEAK RC-11 Measurements
I fed the unit 2 volts and set its volume to max:
RCA Audio Volume Controller, line Volume Control Box, Mini attenuator knob -RC11 Measurements.png

This is the same performance as not having the unit. So if you don't attenuate, it is transparent. I dropped the level by 10 dB and performance hovered around 112 dB so even then, results are very good.

I was pleasantly surprised that impact on frequency response was negligible:
RCA Audio Volume Controller, line Volume Control Box, Mini attenuator knob -RC11 Frequency Res...png

Crosstalk is good for the class:
RCA Audio Volume Controller, line Volume Control Box, Mini attenuator knob -RC11 Crosstalk Mea...png

Finally, channel matching was good as as well:
RCA Audio Volume Controller, line Volume Control Box, Mini attenuator knob -RC11 Channel Match...png

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Conclusions
Compared to the last passive volume control I reviewed (LC-1), the RC-11 performs much better. It also comes in a much more home stereo packaging. And without RCA cables to break, it is likely more reliable as well. As I result, I am happy to put RC-11 on my recommended list should you find yourself in need of a passive volume control.

---------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wonder how will frequency response look like with 2 meter cable

Peternz

Output impedance? Input impedance? Does it kill the dynamics by not being able to drive downstream components properly? This stuff does actually matter. I have used active and passive preamps and I prefer active all day every day.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wonder how will frequency response look like with 2 meter cable
The input to it was a 2 meter cable, output about 1 meter.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Output impedance? Input impedance? Does it kill the dynamics by not being able to drive downstream components properly? This stuff does actually matter. I have used active and passive preamps and I prefer active all day every day.
He said 9.1 kohm pot so that should be the input impedance. Output will vary with volume level chosen. Should be a max output impedance of 2275 ohms or so at - 6db and less at any other setting.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The input impedance of the AP is 100k along with a wide bandwidth.

A typical power amp will be ~25k with significant capacitance and various RC filters. The frequency response when driving a typical real world amplifier will not be remotely flat at typical volume positions (attenutated).

DSJR

Major Contributor
Can that be simulated by somebody please? Some power amps don't mind, but others react badly to being 'fed' that way...

I worked with a passive 'preamp' (pot in a box with input switching) and at first, the pots were 47k log, later reduced to 10k log (the sound 'seemed' toppier with the 10k pot, but that's subjective and not properly verified). The power amps they were used with had high sensitivity inputs (it was claimed the 'line buffer' was put on the amp input instead of in the preamp) and input sensitivity was also claimed to be around 47k

miero

AP settings: output impedance 20 Ohm and input impedance 100 kOhm.

Might not work so well with all devices.

@amirm Could you retest it with 100 Ohm output and 20 kOhm input please?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Could you retest it with 100 Ohm output and 20 kOhm input please?
Test what?

Folks, these are passive volume controls and should be used as a last resort. They will have negative consequences which you can compute yourself based on gear you have. I am doing a quick test with a fixed setup. I can't emulate any and all systems out there.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can that be simulated by somebody please? Some power amps don't mind, but others react badly to being 'fed' that way...

I worked with a passive 'preamp' (pot in a box with input switching) and at first, the pots were 47k log, later reduced to 10k log (the sound 'seemed' toppier with the 10k pot, but that's subjective and not properly verified). The power amps they were used with had high sensitivity inputs (it was claimed the 'line buffer' was put on the amp input instead of in the preamp) and input sensitivity was also claimed to be around 47k
A big part would be length and parallel capacitance of the cable on the output. Best to keep those as short as possible, and use low capacitance cables. Input of the amp will have some effect too.

Still in general with short cables on the output, and an input impedance of 47 k ohms or more it shouldn't be too weird. Might result in a little softening of the treble with some amps.

Peternz

This can be the best thing in the world since sliced bread but at the end of the day it has to work in a system and it has to sound good at any volume setting you wish to use. I have had a few and some have been arguably better than the item discussed here but I have never been satisfied. I am using a Topping Pre90 now and I could not be happier...

A discussion

jasonhanjk

A 2V line that attenuate 10dB and feed to an amp with 20dB gain; with 8 ohm load the power would be 5W.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this :)

Stupid question maybe : Is there any higher voltage limit for those ?
I mean: Is THD or IMD increasing suddenly when you push more Volts at the input, as when an amp is saturating ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this :)

Stupid question maybe : Is there any higher voltage limit for those ?
I mean: Is THD or IMD increasing suddenly when you push more Volts at the input, as when an amp is saturating ?
Effectively no.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, I've done some measurements with my Radial Engineering SAT-2
RME ADI-2 Pro fs R Mono is used for measurement

Here is the SINAD at -10dB "Gain"

2022-06-03 10_30_04-Greenshot.png

Here is the bandwidth at 768kHz sampling rate, still at -10dB"gain"
(Grey is the RME for reference)
That's -0.8dB at 20kHz (ref = 1kHz)

2022-06-03 10_40_30-Greenshot.png

EDIT:
An updated version of the Frequency Response, for different SAT-2 Levels

Blue is now the RME loopback at 192kHz (SD Sharp filter)
Red is with SAT-2 at Max level. (It's also very similar at 9 o'clock)
Black is with SAT-2 at 12 o'clock level (worst case scenario)

Warning: Scale is +/- 1 dB
That's quite zoomed in !

(Test signal is REW Perodic Noise 192kHz, 128k FFT size)

2022-06-05 18_35_50-Greenshot.png
l

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, I've done some measurements with my Radial Engineering SAT-2
RME ADI-2 Pro fs R Mono is used for measurement

Here is the SINAD at -10dB "Gain"

View attachment 210522

Here is the bandwidth at 768kHz sampling rate, still at -10dB"gain"
(Grey is the RME for reference)
That's -0.8dB at 20kHz (ref = 1kHz)

View attachment 210524
I was shoked for a second, then I saw the dB scale on the left :p
So basically, this thing is about high end worthy when your amp has too much sensivity/gain - as a last resort for attenuation.

Oh, and wanna have a laugh? I wanted to see a measurement of this thing because I thought of getting one for "throttling" the input to my Hypex amps to match the Topping PA5 with about 10dB less gain, but now I see this thing isn't really available in Germany.

3tm0v4.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom