• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations of High Quality 2 channel Balanced Volume Controller other than Spl Volume 2 please

DrSpan

Hi everyone.

hope you are doing splendid!
So i am looking for is a simply but very good Balanced Volume Controller. Stereo i.e 2 channels is enough.

i always end up at the Spl Volume 2. However would love your opinions -suggestions

The Volume 2 though nice , i find very big for what it does. I think its has been designed with an „old school“ mentality like old truck cars. A bit too much material if you get me.

I also like the Spl Control One. Other than that everytime i search i end up in some ali express constructions that while i have nothing against , also have not enough information about .

So what do you say? It needs to be balanced , analog and dream case relatively „compact“

I found this in a thread here https://khozmo.com/product/rca-xlr-without-input-selector/
but a more affordable suggestion would also be welcome .

Something like this also nice but i doubt the quality. Maybe a similar better device than this https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Nobsound-Balanced-Passive-Preamplifier-Speakers/dp/B071VSDGNW or should i avoid passive solutions ?

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
The Goldpoint SA1X is great, used by many in digital studio setups as passive analog monitor volume control. It does change the output impendance altough as it's not buffered. If your amp is sensitive to that on the input, you need a buffered (a buffer circuit after the attenuator) or a transformer (less ideal in most cases as it colours the sound) to get the impendance right. The SPL is a buffered volume control, just like most pro audio monitor controllers are, and they are in general rather big. Just like the hifi preamps are. The Shiit Kara is a good balanced hifi preamp (active/buffered) that measures very well and is similar in price as the Goldpoint.

OP
D

DrSpan

The Goldpoint SA1X is great, used by many in digital studio setups as passive analog monitor volume control. It does change the output impendance altough as it's not buffered. If your amp is sensitive to that on the input, you need a buffered (a buffer circuit after the attenuator) or a transformer (less ideal in most cases as it colours the sound) to get the impendance right. The SPL is a buffered volume control, just like most pro audio monitor controllers are, and they are in general rather big. Just like the hifi preamps are. The Shiit Kara is a good balanced hifi preamp (active/buffered) that measures very well and is similar in price as the Goldpoint.
thanks a lot for the information. very useful especially the part with the buffer.

So the Spl is not that bad i guess. So in the „buffered“ category i have less options i see.

regarding "to get the impedance right“ does this mean that completely passive controllers are out of the question i suppose?

Was thinking also about something like this https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/prea...sistor-volume-controller-xlr-rca-p-13183.html

Top Bottom