• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soldering Headphone Cable with Mogami 2893 and 3Pin Mini XLR and 1/4 Jack

slickxz

I am planning to build my first own headphone cable for my modded DT770pro with 3Pin mini XLR connector and need help with soldering.

I bougth the following components for it:
  • Cable)Mogami 2893 Microphone cable, Neglex Quad Miniatur, 4.8mm
  • (Mini XLR Adapter 3 Pin) Rean RT3FC-B
  • (1/4 Jack) Neutrik NP3X-B
I have a picture here with the information I found for connecting the cables.
My problem here is that the cable has 5 pieces instead of the 3 cables on the drawings.

Do i understand this correctly that I have to twist the ends of the black/blue cable and the ends of the red/white cable together and then connect them with flux and solder,
so that it becomes one cable end and then follow the guide in the drawings using the new 3 cables?

My first attempt with the cable today unfortunately went a bit wrong, I have combined black/red and blue/white, I have sound but always on both sides, so in my test sound left or right alone does not work and the sound is very quiet.
Before I make my next attempt as described above, I thought it would be best to ask the experts before I waste time again.

cable.png

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @slickxz! Welcome to ASR.

What is the pinout of the DT770's Mini XLR jack? Which pin goes where?

OP
S

slickxz

Hi @slickxz! Welcome to ASR.

What is the pinout of the DT770's Mini XLR jack? Which pin goes where?
Thank you :)

Since I used the original connection socket of the DT 1770 PRO / DT 1990 PRO from the Beyerdynamic website (EAN 4010118910524) I assume that this picture here should represent the correct pinout of the 3-Pin Mini XLR jack.

The second picture shows how I connected the mini xlr cable to the driver.

Unbenannt.png
Unbenandnt.png

Attachments

• 2024-02-09 16_06_30-Beyerdynamic DT 1770 1990 PRO - kriscables.png
    2024-02-09 16_06_30-Beyerdynamic DT 1770 1990 PRO - kriscables.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Did you use a 4-pin mini XLR on the DT770 side ?
Easiest way to do this is make a small dongle cable coming out of the left cup.
Another option is to make the DT770 dual entry.

When you used a mini XLR 3-pin in the headphone you cannot make a balanced cable.

When you want to make the DT770 balanced you need to use a 4-pin connector on the headphone side and NOT use the connections board on the left driver.

OP
S

slickxz

Did you use a 4-pin mini XLR on the DT770 side ?
Easiest way to do this is make a small dongle cable coming out of the left cup.
Another option is to make the DT770 dual entry.

When you used a mini XLR 3-pin in the headphone you cannot make a balanced cable.

When you want to make the DT770 balanced you need to use a 4-pin connector on the headphone side and NOT use the connections board on the left driver.
That's very interesting now, because a year ago I had exactly this mod with the same 3pin socket and the same custom cable made by someone else.
I had sold it back then but still have the list of parts used, so I chose exactly those componets and wanted to try it myself this time.

Top Bottom