• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

LugsyTL47

My DO100 arrived today, connecting to vintage Yamaha P-2100 professional series amplifier that has been rewired/updated and RCA inputs added, also has XLR inputs (unbalanced). I’ve never had gear with XLR options or a power amp. DO100 specs show output 2.0Vrms RCA , 4.0Vrms XLR.
Two question if anyone has feedback:
1. should I use rca output since this shows higher than listed input for amp? (1.3)
2.Yamaha Amp has L&R volume attenuators. do I run D0100 at full volume as preamp and adjust with amp controls?

IMG_0260.png

Stopeter44

Forum Donor
I just installed a DO100 in place of an RME ADI-2 DAC fs. The RME sounds and functions just fine, but it has loads of functions I don't use, including the HP amp, plus it wouldn't accept beyond 96 kHz sample rates (coax).

Taking the coax output from an Argon solo, and using Roon DSP upsampling, I have zero complaints. Not bad, at all, for a DAC that I paid c. 200 €, vs a DAC that costs more like 1000 €.

AtomicDutchOven

Well this sucks, just picked one of these up used and connected to my MacBook Air its consistently popping/crackling during playback, output via XLR. No sounds when changing tracks, etc, just during playback itself. After a few minutes it seemingly disconnected itself from my Mac and I had to unplug and plug it back in to get it to show up again, only for the crackling/popping to continue.

I've used a number of DAC's in the past and never seen this issue before.

What's the best path to troubleshoot?

Pouyoux

Well this sucks, just picked one of these up used and connected to my MacBook Air its consistently popping/crackling during playback, output via XLR. No sounds when changing tracks, etc, just during playback itself. After a few minutes it seemingly disconnected itself from my Mac and I had to unplug and plug it back in to get it to show up again, only for the crackling/popping to continue.

you can try to raise the dp ("Digital Phase Lock Loop") parameter on the DAC. Put it to the max (9) to check if the problem is there.

meringo

Sincerely I don't think there is one. If you're not on Windows, it seems this era of SMSL has issues given the number of threads now mentioning this problem. There is either a widespread quality control issue or a compatibility issue with MacOS. That being said, I also had the popping when plugged into my Google Pixel 7 Pro, so I suspect QC.

AtomicDutchOven

you can try to raise the dp ("Digital Phase Lock Loop") parameter on the DAC. Put it to the max (9) to check if the problem is there.

No luck unfortunately - the popping seems to be less but still present. I noticed the popping is less noticeable when at 44.1 but still present, totally ruins the SQ as it almost sounds like clipping.

Has anyone had any luck changing out the cable?

AtomicDutchOven

Ok quick update - crackling seems to stop when switching to USB 1.1; however, this isn't ideal as it it limits the sample rate to 96k

PyramidElectric

Ok quick update - crackling seems to stop when switching to USB 1.1; however, this isn't ideal as it it limits the sample rate to 96k
Are you going from USB-C to USB-C? If so I think think this DAC doesn't like that, at least from (some?) Macs, no idea why. I have mine connected (from Macbook Pro M1) via a hub and USB2 works fine.

meringo

Are you going from USB-C to USB-C? If so I think think this DAC doesn't like that, at least from (some?) Macs, no idea why. I have mine connected (from Macbook Pro M1) via a hub and USB2 works fine.
Have you tried direct without the hub? I didn't think to include a hub in the chain to alleviate the issue, but I'm curious if this is just a direct connection issue. I used both types of cables and had the same outcome.

PyramidElectric

Have you tried direct without the hub? I didn't think to include a hub in the chain to alleviate the issue, but I'm curious if this is just a direct connection issue. I used both types of cables and had the same outcome.
Ok tried direct via 2 different USB-C to USB-C cables, the Mac doesn't even see the DAC. If I connect via the Apple 'USB-C to USB-A' adapter, and then use a USB-A to USB-C cable it works perfectly... so yeah, pretty weird.

AtomicDutchOven

No - I'm using the USB-C to USB-A cable that came in the box. I also tried another USB-C to USB-A cable I had on hand and it exhibited the same problems. A USB-C to USB-C cable that I tried didn't work at all.

I can only get this thing to work without cracking/popping by keeping it at USB 1.1.

Jim Creek

I used the ‘USB A to C‘ cable that came in the box with a ‘USB A to C‘ adapter. The USB C end plugs into the DO100. The USB ‘A to C ‘ adapter plugs into the Macbook M1 Air. The USB A end of the cable plugs into the adapter at the Macbook. It works perfectly, no pops or other artifacts, just music!

Last edited:

renpar61

Odd question: I use an iPad connected via USB to the DO100. No issues, great sound.
If I leave the iPad connected when not listening (DAC and stereo components all off) the iPad battery drains very quickly. If I disconnect the USB cable when not in use, battery lasts three times longer. Any idea why?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Odd question: I use an iPad connected via USB to the DO100. No issues, great sound.
If I leave the iPad connected when not listening (DAC and stereo components all off) the iPad battery drains very quickly. If I disconnect the USB cable when not in use, battery lasts three times longer. Any idea why?
The only logical conclusion is that even with the DAC turned off (in standby), it draws current via USB.
A USB power meter could be used to confirm this.

I have had similar problems and I also have sought a new firmware. But there's nothin to download at the SMSL-website. I have a pop when I first time start to play music after reboot. With Volumio the DAC goes to DSD mode by it self at start. Then it drops to the PCM mode with a pop. In windows it works OK. The combatability with Linux (and Android) is worse than with Topping DACs . I think new firmware would help. SMSL does really not update firwares, unlike Topping. In Linux, it detects hw-mixer and so with uac1.1. (USB 1) . But USB 2.0 does not work so well. I also have odd feeling that the USB sounds worse than optical? When I use wiim mini with optical I have a feeling that the detail level is higher. I tried back and forth and still cannot get rid of that feeling. So perhaps the firmware has some bugs for USB. SMSL should really follow Topping and take a better after care of it's products in a form of software updates.
Hi there. I am not seeing volume controls in Windows or Linux, however I am using USB 2.0/3.0 ports. Is there a way of forcing the DAC in using uac 1.1? Am I right in understanding that the volume controls only show up in uac 1.1?

Last edited:
Ah sorry, I just looked at the manual and found the way to switch the DAC to uac.1.1. Indeed, volume controls show up. How strange they are not available under uac2.

Unfortunately the controls don't seem to work. Changing the level using alsamixer has no effect on the volume from the DAC. Has anyone else tried using these and had success?

Hi. So, this was with Linux, using alsamixer (see screenshot) and the amixer commands, e.g.: "amixer sset 'SMSL UAC1 ' 50%". Neither of those made a different to the output of the DAC.

smsl_uac1_alsa_mixer.png

I've also since tried with macOS, the volume controls show up in the "Audio MIDI setup" app, but again changing them has no effect on the output.

smsl_uac1_midi_setup.png

In Windows (with drivers installed), when the DAC is in UAC1.1 mode, it does not show up in the XMOS driver control panel, with UAC2 mode, it does shows up in the XMOS control panel and some settings can bet set, but not volume controls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom