• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 311 87.9%

• Total voters

yimnvs

Hi all,

I just got a DO100 from Amazon and using it with my Kali LP-6V2 studio monitors with XLR. There are popping noises via USB 2.0 when I change tracks and change videos on youtube and when I stop and start songs as well as random popping during computer usage. It also pops during computer boots/reboots. I have the USB driver installed from SMSL website. Also, played around with filters and DPLL settings and nothing changed

In USB 1.1 mode, the popping only happens during boots/reboots. However, with optical connected to my PC, the popping disappears entirely. Anyone knows what is the problem? I am getting a replacement from Amazon to see if the USB issue would be fixed. I would really like to use USB 2.0 but if I had to use optical, that is fine too. There shouldn't be any audio quality loss going from USB to optical for this DAC right?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just got a DO100 from Amazon and using it with my Kali LP-6V2 studio monitors with XLR. There are popping noises via USB 2.0 when I change tracks and change videos on youtube and when I stop and start songs as well as random popping during computer usage. It also pops during computer boots/reboots. I have the USB driver installed from SMSL website. Also, played around with filters and DPLL settings and nothing changed

In USB 1.1 mode, the popping only happens during boots/reboots. However, with optical connected to my PC, the popping disappears entirely. Anyone knows what is the problem? I am getting a replacement from Amazon to see if the USB issue would be fixed. I would really like to use USB 2.0 but if I had to use optical, that is fine too. There shouldn't be any audio quality loss going from USB to optical for this DAC right?

Thanks,
Wow, the same thing just happened to me and I came here and saw your post. I have exactly the same issues, but i'm running a Mac. I also tried my Windows laptop and had the same problems. It sounds fine in optical or in USB 1.1, it sounds great once it stops popping, but it pops every single time I start or stop playback. My setup: Mac Mini 2018 (Intel), SMSL DO100 plugged directly in with USB-C cable, XLR to RTS cables, Topping PA3s in balanced mode, Polk S-15 speakers.

Such a bummer since I got this to replace an SMSL C200 that had a problem with static charges stopping audio playback.

And some context: I also have a Topping D10 Balanced and it plays back in the same system perfectly. I wanted something with a volume control that had balanced output. I also have an SMSL D-6 balanced in another system that plays perfectly as well. Guess I'm going to have to stick with the D-6 units.

kysa

It looks like there's no such fix for Macs or Linux. Unless anyone know of one?
This issue is caused by node suspension when inactive.

On pipewire+wireplumber, you can simply edit the default config (50-alsa-config.lua) or create a new rule:
~/.config/wireplumber/main.lua.d/51-disable-suspension.lua

table.insert (alsa_monitor.rules, { matches = { { -- Matches all sources. { "node.name", "matches", "alsa_input.*" }, }, { -- Matches all sinks. { "node.name", "matches", "alsa_output.*" }, }, }, apply_properties = { ["session.suspend-timeout-seconds"] = 0, -- 0 disables suspend }, })

Don't forget to restart the wireplumber service.

yimnvs

@yimnvs have you tried setting Streaming to Always On in the driver control panel? Here's how: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...os-driver-settings-for-no-cutoff-delay.25838/
Hi, I just tried that and the popping when switching between tracks and as well as random popping stopped. However, the popping when Windows boot up or reboot is still present; so at least it is now similar to USB 1.1 mode in terms of less popping. Switching to Optical however eliminates any popping entirely.

Thanks for the read up, I will see if the replacement unit will eliminate the popping entirely on USB 2.0 mode, if not I will just use Optical...since I love the sound of this DAC.

This issue is caused by node suspension when inactive.

On pipewire+wireplumber, you can simply edit the default config (50-alsa-config.lua) or create a new rule:
~/.config/wireplumber/main.lua.d/51-disable-suspension.lua

table.insert (alsa_monitor.rules, { matches = { { -- Matches all sources. { "node.name", "matches", "alsa_input.*" }, }, { -- Matches all sinks. { "node.name", "matches", "alsa_output.*" }, }, }, apply_properties = { ["session.suspend-timeout-seconds"] = 0, -- 0 disables suspend }, })

Don't forget to restart the wireplumber service.
Thanks. I'm guessing this is a Linux solution? I'm not running Linux (just saw some Linux users had the same problem). Would be grateful if there was a Mac solution as it's my main OS.

mrmojo

I have a crackling noise when playing certain tracks from amazon music (not present if I play the same song from YouTube), and these crackling noises are not present with another DAC. They're very faint crackling noises, and I have to listen carefully. Also random popping noises when switching tracks, switching from youtube to amazon music etc. I tried installing the USB driver from the SMSL website and tried setting "streaming to Always On" in the driver options, but this option doesn't appear for me despite editing the xml file as advised above.

Last edited:

mrmojo

SMSL is saying they want to send me updated firmware to deal with the popping issue. Has anyone else gotten this updated firmware?

Wendigo79

SMSL is saying they want to send me updated firmware to deal with the popping issue. Has anyone else gotten this updated firmware?
I have had similar problems and I also have sought a new firmware. But there's nothin to download at the SMSL-website. I have a pop when I first time start to play music after reboot. With Volumio the DAC goes to DSD mode by it self at start. Then it drops to the PCM mode with a pop. In windows it works OK. The combatability with Linux (and Android) is worse than with Topping DACs . I think new firmware would help. SMSL does really not update firwares, unlike Topping. In Linux, it detects hw-mixer and so with uac1.1. (USB 1) . But USB 2.0 does not work so well. I also have odd feeling that the USB sounds worse than optical? When I use wiim mini with optical I have a feeling that the detail level is higher. I tried back and forth and still cannot get rid of that feeling. So perhaps the firmware has some bugs for USB. SMSL should really follow Topping and take a better after care of it's products in a form of software updates.

mrmojo

I have had similar problems and I also have sought a new firmware. But there's nothin to download at the SMSL-website. I have a pop when I first time start to play music after reboot. With Volumio the DAC goes to DSD mode by it self at start. Then it drops to the PCM mode with a pop. In windows it works OK. The combatability with Linux (and Android) is worse than with Topping DACs . I think new firmware would help. SMSL does really not update firwares, unlike Topping. In Linux, it detects hw-mixer and so with uac1.1. (USB 1) . But USB 2.0 does not work so well. I also have odd feeling that the USB sounds worse than optical? When I use wiim mini with optical I have a feeling that the detail level is higher. I tried back and forth and still cannot get rid of that feeling. So perhaps the firmware has some bugs for USB. SMSL should really follow Topping and take a better after care of it's products in a form of software updates.
The funny thing is SMSL offered to send me a firmware update (after I contacted them through amazon) to fix the issue (which I haven't gotten yet), but there is no firmware update available on their website. IF they have a firmware update available, why not put it online?

renpar61

I did some more investigation on the buzz from the speakers I posted a while ago. Turns out (after fixing a couple of things on the amp) the problem is a ground loop from the SMSL DO100. I bought one of those "cheater plugs" that eliminate the ground prong, used on the DO100 cord, and all went back to quiet. Everything is plugged into a Panamax power conditioner. I am 100% sure the problem didn't exist before.
So my question is: is it possible something went bad in the DO100 power supply?
Also: can the cheater plug be a permanent solution? What are de risks?

Tns

Forum Donor
I did some more investigation on the buzz from the speakers I posted a while ago. Turns out (after fixing a couple of things on the amp) the problem is a ground loop from the SMSL DO100. I bought one of those "cheater plugs" that eliminate the ground prong, used on the DO100 cord, and all went back to quiet. Everything is plugged into a Panamax power conditioner. I am 100% sure the problem didn't exist before.
So my question is: is it possible something went bad in the DO100 power supply?
Also: can the cheater plug be a permanent solution? What are de risks?
Sometimes, the best practice is to plug them all in the same ac outlet. Have you tried that already and exclude the Panamax power conditioner?

renpar61

Sometimes, the best practice is to plug them all in the same ac outlet. Have you tried that already and exclude the Panamax power conditioner?
I have 7 components, can't plug them all in the same outlet without a power conditioner. So all the components go into the Panamax and only one wall outlet is used.
By a process of elimination the only component producing the buzz is the DAC. With the cheater plug buzz is gone.
Moreover, the buzz was not there before, and everything was connected the same way. That's why I think something went wrong internally.

I'd like to understand if the risk of using the cheater plug can result in the DAC to short and fry, I can take it. If it can cause more harm to my system or myself I need to try a different solution, like teh HumX or the Ifi GND.

Top Bottom