• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL AO200, Lack of bass punch/definition with Elac debut 6.2's

telemike

I have same speakers. I am running a120 watt amp with them. The power meters register 30 watts at loud levels average. Probably peaking a bit more. They like power

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Forgive my ignorance but isn't bass the hardest one to absorb/trap? If the bass was there but the room was not optimized it should be too much/too booming, not "lacking"?

OT: any chance you can borrow a different speaker and/or amp to test?
It can go either way. It depends on the listening area. At the very least you need a spl meter app on your phone. I have an old Radio Shack meter that still works great. That little thing just will not die!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It can go either way. It depends on the listening area. At the very least you need a spl meter app on your phone. I have an old Radio Shack meter that still works great. That little thing just will not die!
I love mine, must be right around 30 yo now. Just plug a new 9v battery in it every 5 years or so.
40012-S000250873-1

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That is my EXACT meter. Mine is 35 years old.
Yea, that's the original design.
Later years added more switches, features, etc/
There's a million of them for sale on ebay for $10-20.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Yea, that's the original design.
Later years added more switches, features, etc/
There's a million of them for sale on ebay for $10-20.
They are a steal for $10. I have dialed in stereo systems with just that meter. It takes some time but the results are fantastic compared to just setting the speakers in place and doing no set up.

acmalko

Hello ,
I've just received a smsl AO200. Compared with a Harman Kardon ARV270 AV receiver
What I ear:
- high level of detail, treeble.
- Good channel separation
- Clear and punchy sound
- Lack of bass with no EQ. I've set EQ SDB and Treeble -2.

My speakers don't have a good extension in the bass, have a clear sound (bump at 3.5KHz) and 92 Db sensitivity

Tweeter titane
Bass-Medium 17cm Kevlar (6.7") + a 2nd one for the bass with a passive filter. Bass reflex.

I think I will buy a little sealed subwoofer

Last edited:

Splint

Hi I also have an amp with double MA12070
that I finally plugged into my secondary chain. If you find it lacking a bit of bass authority, look no further, the MA12070 to this sound. Bigger speakers will help a bit, but you might eat up your appetite.

I own the Sabaj A20a and my friend owns the Topping Pa3s that I will soon be testing on my system, just to compare the 2.
Hello ModDIY,

I am interested in your opinion between the Pa3s amp and the sabaj A20a.

Did you feel a difference? I'm mainly looking for the soundstage (width, depth, placement of instruments, etc...).
I don't listen at high volume so distortion is a little less important to me.
I'm thinking of buying one of the two :)

Thanks in advance

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello Splint,

my friend and I haven't compared PAS3 and A20a. Didn't have the time and the opportunity.

Don't forget that I have the 2019 version of the A20a and not the new A20a 2022. Mine the A20a 2019 (still available) is the Infineon while the new Sabaj A20a is a new Infineon a little more powerful.

On the other hand, like the PA3s, the new one has no integrated preamp, so no remote control or input selector. On this forum, the few comments from those who own the A20a 2019 and the Topping PA3s noticed that the A20a 2019 had a little more power output thanks to its internal SMPS.

If you have a DAC (or preamp) with remote control like my friend, I suggest the Topping PA3s which has no noise or hiss, 2 RCA and TRS inputs for less, it's a safe bet.

Schlippwhip68

My subjective Impressions of SMSL AO200, I bought this after reading generally positive impressions on this and the DA-9 amplifier; (youtube and in the forum here). Lots of reviews comparing it to A/B amps up to £1000-£1500 from a few years ago. This was to be a replacement for a Rotel RA 1060 (60 watts into 8 Ohm) approx. 17 years old bought secondhand a couple of years ago, paired with a schitt modi 3 via unbalanced rca and Elac debut 6.2's. I really like the Rotel but was lacking a lot of top end treble for my taste and what with the enthusiasm around class D at this time and the positive reviews made me decide to purchase this unit.

Well I certainty got the treble I was after, also crisp and clear details and clarity to vocals...if maybe a little lacking in midrange power, But bass :(I find it lacking definition; not at all punchy, seems like plenty of bass is there but sometimes I'm left straining to pick out a bass line that's clear present and defined with the Rotel.
So is this something anybody else has noticed? have I got a voltage mismatch with the schiit modi 3( I'm still learning about these things)
I don't want to return it for no good reason but maybe this unit cannot handle the power requirements of the Elacs and is more suitable for desktop use and other speakers.

I was hoping to replace the 6.2's with the debut references at some point but I want to sort amplification out first, so I would be grateful for any advice or recommendations for other amplifiers up to £500 if this unit needs to be returned. Thanks.
Its late but I would not buy ANY amp again with the MA12070 chip which the A0200 uses. It's terrible as you now know and ALL the class d amps that I have tried over the last few years using this chip really flop/fail in the low end giving a sound that resembles a half hearted drunken work sherker with a speech impediment..ok, its slow, flabby and always falls shy of actually saying what should be said with any clarity and authority. Looking for a decent for 2nd hand class A/B is alot more fun and most decent stuff in the last 10 years will be good enough..

Schlippwhip68

Hello,

Do you think this amp would be good to drive compression driver with active filters (1800-20000hz).
Regards Greg
No idea Greg and I couldn’t care less and won’t be wasting any time finding out. For the money the A0200 would cost I would recommend a Denon PMA600NE and maybe an Topping E50 or similar if you really want genuine low end muscle with a pleasing sound and reasonable detail.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
No idea Greg and I couldn’t care less and won’t be wasting any time finding out. For the money the A0200 would cost I would recommend a Denon PMA600NE and maybe an Topping E50 or similar if you really want genuine low end muscle with a pleasing sound and reasonable detail.
Please dial back the aggression in your replies. Leave the attitude at the door. Appreciate your support and understanding.

Schlippwhip68

No idea Greg and I couldn’t care less and won’t be wasting any time finding out. For the money the A0200 would cost I would recommend a Denon PMA600NE and maybe an Topping E50 or similar if you really want genuine low end muscle.
Please dial back the aggression in your replies. Leave the attitude at the door. Appreciate your support and understanding.
No aggression here Greg, check your perception and maybe do not be so quick to judge and allow people to live and have their opinion and passions.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
No aggression here Greg, check your perception and maybe do not be so quick to judge and allow people to live and have their opinion and passions.
Your done in this thread and take a few weeks off to reflect on your choice of words and how they come across to others. It was not my perception that called our attention to your post. But I did and do agree that the post contained unwarranted snark. I tried the nice way first.

RandomEar

Hello,

Do you think this amp would be good to drive compression driver with active filters (1800-20000hz).
Regards Greg
I think it is a bit overkill. With the display and all the settings, it does much more than you need for just driving one or two horns. Maybe something like an SMSL A100 would be better suited? It doesn't measure quite as good but it's cheaper and has no "surplus" features.

robca

Unrelated to the topic title, but there are very few threads on the AO200 here. Does anyone know what USB DAC chip this amplifier uses? I use my amplifier exclusively as a USB DAC/small speaker near field amplifier, and was considering the LOXJIE A30 as an upgrade, but the USB DAC there is a disappointing Realtek. And, no, I don't want to use a DAC+amplifier setup, for now.

I could not find any info on the USB DAC chip used, which usually means it's nothing to be happy about

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Unrelated to the topic title, but there are very few threads on the AO200 here. Does anyone know what USB DAC chip this amplifier uses? I use my amplifier exclusively as a USB DAC/small speaker near field amplifier, and was considering the LOXJIE A30 as an upgrade, but the USB DAC there is a disappointing Realtek. And, no, I don't want to use a DAC+amplifier setup, for now.

I could not find any info on the USB DAC chip used, which usually means it's nothing to be happy about
The answer will not make you happy, but you should only ask questions that you want to hear an answer to.
The DAC function in the AO200 is definitely not enough for me, just as little as Bluetooth, but it is the same component and in a pinch it is enough.

The AO200 uses one of the most widely used Bluetooth chips for audio devices (BT headphones, speakers, MP3 mini boards, etc.).
Since such a "Bluetooth MP3 Mini-Board" costs between $1 and $5, you can calculate what this chip costs. Far from Qualcomm and other products.

This chip has Bluetooth, USB functionality but only 12 MBit/s, MP3 player function with music playback control including HDD connection via USB, HID, an amazing amount of computing power and a pool of interfaces.
Chip JL AS21BP0A223-25D4 from ZhuHai-JieLi-Technolog, probably AC6385A SoC chip from AC63 series in QSOP24 package.
Definitely not the burner, but extremely common and on Github you can find an SDK kit and everything you need for development. However, I didn't read out Bluetooth 5.0 but Bluetooth core specification: 4.2, even if the device registers with the device name "SMSL BT5.0C". A rogue who thinks something bad:cool::rolleyes:

Graham849

Forum Donor
What would be an interesting Aoshida special : a full size unit containing combined DO100 / AO200!

DAO888?

Roland68

Major Contributor
What would be an interesting Aoshida special : a full size unit containing combined DO100 / AO200!

DAO888?
It's never really a good idea.
Digital technology, analog small signal processing, power amplifier and probably everything from a power pack, mutual influence is inevitable in many areas. Especially in such a tight enclosure.
Two separate devices make much more sense.

Top Bottom