• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Sennheiser HD 600 sounds great, but are quite uncomfortable — they clamp down hard! Should I return them?

SoundDude89

Hi there,

I bought and tried out the Sennheiser HD 599 about a week ago, and while the comfort was absolutely excellent, I found the sound to be merely "good". For the price point is was very good, but I felt the sound was a little bit flat, and I didn't particularly like the "warm" sound signature: I much prefer "clean clarity". I love bass, but not at the expense of overall clarity.

So I returned the Sennheiser HD 599 and put an order on the Sennheiser HD 600. I must say, the HD 600 sounds absolutely fantastic. The "flatness" that I experienced in the 599 is not present, and the sound feels clear, full and dynamic, at least to my ears. I really feel that sound-wise, these headphones are a definite keeper...

... save for one thing: the comfort, or lack thereof. I had read about people complaining about the headphones being too tight, but given the many, very positive reviews over the years of the HD 600, I kind of assumed that this was mostly whining by overly-demanding customers. Now I realize that their complaints are actually valid: the HD 600 clamps down so hard on my head that I feel uncomfortable after mere minutes, and after yet a handful of more minutes I get headaches.

I contacted the customer support from the store I bought them from and asked about this, and they said that while most headphones do "loosen up" after a while from continous usage, they thought that since I experience the headphones to be tight to this degree so early on from using them, then it might be a wise choice to return them and try some other headphones.

What do you think I should do? Will these headphones loosen up substantially after a while, or will the difference be more or less miniscule?

If the HD 600 probably won't loosen up to the degree that I'd want, then I probably will return them, unfortunately (the sound really is fantastic, so it's a regretable necessity).

If I have to return them, then do you know of any headphones in the same price-range which offers the same kind of quality of sound but are also more comfortable?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers! :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there,

I bought and tried out the Sennheiser HD 599 about a week ago, and while the comfort was absolutely excellent, I found the sound to be merely "good". For the price point is was very good, but I felt the sound was a little bit flat, and I didn't particularly like the "warm" sound signature: I much prefer "clean clarity". I love bass, but not at the expense of overall clarity.

So I returned the Sennheiser HD 599 and put an order on the Sennheiser HD 600. I must say, the HD 600 sounds absolutely fantastic. The "flatness" that I experienced in the 599 is not present, and the sound feels clear, full and dynamic, at least to my ears. I really feel that sound-wise, these headphones are a definite keeper...

... save for one thing: the comfort, or lack thereof. I had read about people complaining about the headphones being too tight, but given the many, very positive reviews over the years of the HD 600, I kind of assumed that this was mostly whining by overly-demanding customers. Now I realize that their complaints are actually valid: the HD 600 clamps down so hard on my head that I feel uncomfortable after mere minutes, and after yet a handful of more minutes I get headaches.

I contacted the customer support from the store I bought them from and asked about this, and they said that while most headphones do "loosen up" after a while from continous usage, they thought that since I experience the headphones to be tight to this degree so early on from using them, then it might be a wise choice to return them and try some other headphones.

What do you think I should do? Will these headphones loosen up substantially after a while, or will the difference be more or less miniscule?

If the HD 600 probably won't loosen up to the degree that I'd want, then I probably will return them, unfortunately (the sound really is fantastic, so it's a regretable necessity).

If I have to return them, then do you know of any headphones in the same price-range which offers the same kind of quality of sound but are also more comfortable?

Thank you in advance!

Your experience mimics mine. I cannot use HD600 for long, it clamps too hard. My favourite (although ugly) is the Beyerdynamic D-150 with the DT-100 velour pads fitted. Much better comfort compared to the HD-600 and sounds fine. Too bass-heavy with original pads though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Now I realize that their complaints are actually valid: the HD 600 clamps down so hard on my head that I feel uncomfortable after mere minutes, and after yet a handful of more minutes I get headaches.

The same goes for HD650, HD6XX, HD58X, HD660S and HD660S2 as well.

You can adjust the clamping force anyway you want it (below my HD58X).
When you overdid it you can use the same method to bend it back.

do NOT bend the headband itself !

clamping-force.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That, or find a friend with a ginormous head and ask them to use the cans for a week.
Piece of wood would do the trick without imposing on a friend.

kestrel4

Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

Just bought HD-650. I know what you mean but advise anyone to stick with it. This sounds basic but make sure the extenders are pulled out far enough. Loosen the headband by putting a book between the sides, not on the cushions; and accelerate the process with a hairdrier if you like. However, they will become comfortable without these interventions.

Top Bottom