• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Manta (12" wideband cardioid active speakers) development thread

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
First preliminary version of the user manual for Manta is now public, happy to get feedback (here or in DM) if something is confusing or missing. :) It currently does not go in-depth on things like how cardioid works etc, since this is explain in some detail on the website / product pages. So it's more about how to set it up and use it.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It looks like Manta is pretty room friendly / adaptable to different situations (which is some of the point with the cardioid technology as well).

Here are responses (left+right average) of a pair of Mantas + dual 10Ds in two very different rooms. I think it's interesting how tidy and relatively similar this looks. Note that none of these setups have any EQ applied above 100hz.

First one is around 18m^2, low ceiling, system set up on the longest wall, slightly assymmetrically (my dedicated listening space), moderately damped with acoustic treatment:
1683109933966.png

Second is same setup (Manta + dual 10D) in a professional studio in their recording / mixing studio (the control room for the actual recording studio where the band records the music). The room is relatively large (around 35m^2), normal ceiling height, almost square form. Also moderately damped with acoustic treatment. The system is set up symmetrically in the middle of the wall separating the control room with the actual recording room. The dip around 100-120hz is suspected to be due to the cavity behind/under the mixing console, need to work more on subwoofer placement to fix that.
1683109718125.png

Both setups both sound very good and also quite similar. :)

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Interesting to see Erin creating graphs on 10deg and 30deg for the MoFi SourcePoint 10, seeing as Manta is also designed for off-axis listening.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Velvet Recording just outside of Oslo now features a full Sigberg Audio MANTA setup with dual 10D subwoofers in their recording studio, and SBS.1 with dual Inkognito subwoofers in their mixing & mastering studio!

We've done an interview with the head engineer of Velvet Recording about the Manta (and other topics) - I created a thread about it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...recording-studio-interview.45183/post-1610605 :)

31.01_480x480.png

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I suspect it's hard to fathom the level of detail (and number of details) involved in designing, developing and bringing to market something like the Manta, so wanted to share a small example.

The grilles on the Manta are relatively large (given the large baffle), but still very lightweight and transparent. But the initial versions weren't rigid enough, so we needed to improve the rigidity and strength of the frame.

The end result is a grille that is functionally beautiful even from the backside (I acknowledge that it probably looks better in person); With long, wide arches that adds strength and reduce flexibility, and rounded bumps between the coax and the 12" to give room for the 5th and 6th magnet to ensure enough gripping power for the grille to stick tightly to the speaker.

The magnets are ever so slightly recessed so that they don't actually touch the speaker. The only thing in direct contact with the cabinet is the clothed edges, ensuring the cabinet isn't scratched by the grille.

Small details that are not necessarily noticed or appreciated by the customer, but take time to iron out and add to the overall impression of the speaker. :)

IMG_0626.jpg

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The production cabinets have a different and somewhat thicker type of felt in front of the ports, so I had to to do some control measurements and final adjustments to the internal dampening. With these final adjustments the production tuning has been finalized, and the first pairs are on the way out the door. A pair of Mantas complemented with dual 10D subwoofers will be shipped to @Purité Audio by the end of the week. :)

Some coaxials have a somewhat untidy on-axis response (which isn't necessarily very problematic since you typically listen slightly off-axis), but I'm consistently impressed by this driver. :)

Here's a gated measurement on-axis @1m (non-anechoic), 100-20,000hz:

1687109033297.png

1687109008014.png

Last edited:

ferrellms

Kii have the exact same problems. Controlled interference is of course the goal, but you'll have negative interference forward also, not just to the back, hence reduced output and a need for driving the mid harder to keep the spl level correct.

At least that's what I'm assuming. I'm clearly no physicist :p
The controlled interference takes place largely behind and to the sides of the speaker (and reduces audio energy in that part of the room) just like a cardioid microphone will reduce energy from the back of the diaphragm via controlled interference via the vents and thus transduce more energy from the front. This is what "cardioid" means.

Last edited:

n1rvana

I'm very interested in this speaker as I am in the market for a good setup for a mid-sized room after I make a big move in about 6 months.

I look forward to reviews that employ objective measurements, especially Klippel. I would like to see off-axis measurements.

Congrats on what looks like a great speaker.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm very interested in this speaker as I am in the market for a good setup for a mid-sized room after I make a big move in about 6 months.

I look forward to reviews that employ objective measurements, especially Klippel. I would like to see off-axis measurements.

Congrats on what looks like a great speaker.

Thank you, and thank you for your interest!

For various reasons the Manta will probably not be sent overseas (to the US) for review until early next year. We will however get reviews on this side of the pond (that may or may not include measurements).

I do however plan to get new Klippel measurements of the final products this fall, so assuming you trust us to share objective data without tampering with it, you will get directly from us in a few months. :)

Do you have any specific questions or concerns with regards to the off-axis measurements (some have been shared already of prototypes in this thread)?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They have indeed and they are spectacular ,

Keith

n1rvana

Thank you, and thank you for your interest!

For various reasons the Manta will probably not be sent overseas (to the US) for review until early next year. We will however get reviews on this side of the pond (that may or may not include measurements).

I do however plan to get new Klippel measurements of the final products this fall, so assuming you trust us to share objective data without tampering with it, you will get directly from us in a few months. :)

Do you have any specific questions or concerns with regards to the off-axis measurements (some have been shared already of prototypes in this thread)?

Nothing in particular atm. I eagerly await reviews. It doesn't matter to me what side of the pond they come from as long as there are objective measurements along with subjective impressions.

I don't think you would risk your reputation in providing fudged data given the fact that others will also measure as well eventually. So no reason not to trust you (yet) ;)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Some feedback from Velvet Recording too that now have:

One setup with Manta + Dual 10D subwoofers (control room for recording studio)

Two setups with SBS.1 + Dual Inkognito 10 (mixing&mastering studio + one home studio at one of the owners)

Two insta posts about their Mantas:
Roughly translates to:
They sound insanely good, perfect reproduction anywhere in the room, translate perfectly and are a joy to listen to! We've had them for a while and are currently mixing records recorded on these monitors, and we are really excited to show what we've been working on!

and

Roughly translates to:
Absolutely fantastic speaker design that is not affected by the room and delivers perfect audio reproduction. They translate great to other systems. These days, I am mixing records recorded with the Mantas, and it's a joy to work with. You don't need to spend time getting to know these speakers, they're spot on right away.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Due to a bug on our website, we've been showing the wrong (too high) price to people outside of Norway for a while (didn't exclude Norwegian VAT). So if you are living outside of Norway and have checked the site recently, please try again, and you should get the pleasant surprise of 20% lower prices! Our apologies!

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Due to a bug on our website, we've been showing the wrong (too high) price to people outside of Norway for a while (didn't exclude Norwegian VAT). So if you are living outside of Norway and have checked the site recently, please try again, and you should get the pleasant surprise of 20% lower prices! Our apologies!
16.67% lower, surely.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Top Bottom