• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 85.2%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @amirm , amp only clips below 32 ohms but what is max power output in Watts at 12ohms for example, before clipping?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How can it have less power than the a10d?

What's the value proposition of this unit over the a10d?
Looks like MQA.

The IMD is bit lower, 50mV noise is a bit lower, etc.; but I don’t know how audible those would be, if at all.

Amir didn’t state max voltage on A10d (2022), so if that’s also a difference, then this A20d (2022) would be helpful in powering amps with less input gain (typically some class-D amps; to get better performance).

Last edited:

Chilli

Almost flawless measurements. Congrats Sabaj!

Not sure if I should use external volume or built-in. Did we have any volume control balance measurements for this?
Or better to use a10h as volume control and switch to RCA instead of xlr and sacrifice a few.
Or is the volume just an actuator for chip controlled volume?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Function, form or price. Pick two.
I disagree. What is the cost of decent form (in the form of the display layout)? The cost of hiring a designer is negligible with the number of units they sell.

PS. Mind you the display was liked by @amirm hence design is very much a personal thing.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Not anymore. More and more people who used to buy expensive gear are buying this class of device and happy with them. It just a matter of messaging.
Not arguing with you, but are there any figures for sales of *any* of these things?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The jewelry aspect is quite weak and won't save it. They need to step the performance so it is not a choice between looks and performance.
What could improving the M-Scalar achieve? Isn't whatever it is claimed to do already done beyond audibility by the best DACs?

Hippocamp

Sabaj A20d versus A10d (reviewed recently)

Functionality is the same (someone said A20d has MQA, but if that right, it's actually a win for the A10d in my book, which does not).
Sinad is essentially equivalent: 120 for A10d vs 121 for A20d (obviously not an audible difference)
A10d headphone amp has more power: 1.4 watts at 33 ohm versus 1.1 watts.
A20d amp is maybe the tiniest bit cleaner, but really a negligible difference.

So, why would I spend an extra $120 on A20d?

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sabaj A10d 2022 (just reviewed) versus A20d

Functionality is the same except A20d has MQA, which is actually a win for the A10d.
Sinad is essentially equivalent: 120 for A10d vs 121 for A20d (obviously not an audible difference)
A10d headphone amp has more power: 1.4 watts at 33 ohm versus 1.1 watts.
A20d amp is maybe the tiniest bit cleaner, but really a negligible difference.

So, why would I spend an extra $120 on A20d?

50mV SNR not as good with A10d 2022

Jitter strangely not as good with A10d 2022, with TOSlink.

Exceptionally good TOSlink jitter with A20d 2022

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not arguing with you, but are there any figures for sales of *any* of these things?
I like to know that too. I also want to know how this new Chinese Hi-Fi industry structured.

It looks like either there is a central designer and various companies manufacture that design and market under a different brand, or there is a single manufacturer company who markets under different brands and shapes. I doubt multiple Chinese companies stealing designs from each other. I realise that Chinese in general do not value foreign IP (to put it mildly) but I assume they will not allow their own to steal their designs.

respice finem

Major Contributor
For me it looks like they are experimenting, each company on its own, to find an optimum (outer) design - hence so many models.

poxymoron

Another great, helpful review Amir, thank you.
And yet somebody is still not impressed:

1658321551895.png

Hippocamp

50mV SNR not as good with A10d 2022

Jitter strangely not as good with A10d 2022, with TOSlink.

Exceptionally good TOSlink jitter with A20d 2022
Yep, makes sense. But if your implementation is, like mine, full sized headphones (not IEMs) with USB input, there is really no difference except price that I can see.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Another great, helpful review Amir, thank you.
And yet somebody is still not impressed:
I thought they rate rating is for the product not the review.
Maybe someone has very different opinions on what makes a DAC/AMP poor or good?

I see many reason to personalty dislike this product.
From design over price.
Maybe some personalty think a DAC that need an extra power cord and is not USB powered is poor... i think i shuld be USB C powered!

Performance is good from what i can see from the measurements.
But i think the rating is a personal opinion and not everyone has the same prioritys

For many the 9€ Apple USB C DAC is all the ever need and they can’t her any difference with a better DAC/AMP
for them this Produkt for 420$ is a poor deal.

Top Bottom