• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/Amp question

Phidel

Hello!

I bought the Hifiman Ananda Nano headphones for music and games. At this moment I'm using the FiiO k7 with 4.4mm balanced wire but I feel this headphones needs more.

I'm thinking to buy the Topping DX5, the Loxjie D40 Pro or the Sabaj A20d 2022.

I think the Loxjie or Sabaj are the best, maybe the Sabaj is bit better but the question is... Will I feel any audible difference between these DACs? Is there any audible difference between balanced or unbalanced output?

Thanks!

OP
P

Phidel

Unless the K7 is broken, you won't hear any difference in a blind test.

Won't I gain in sound quality if I change the k7 to any of these DACs?

The k7 has dual mid range ES chips and these other have high or ultra high range chips then, what sense have to buy a superior DAC?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Won't I gain in sound quality if I change the k7 to any of these DACs?

The k7 has dual mid range ES chips and these other have high or ultra high range chips then, what sense have to buy a superior DAC?

Once performance surpasses the threshold of hearing (i.e. becomes 'transparent') then there is no point buying a more expensive DAC for to improve sound quality. Have a read through this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/

Other potential reasons to spend more on a DAC/Amp: functionality, power output, number and type of inputs/outputs, display, remote control capability, looks, build, warranty, etc.

OP
P

Phidel

Once performance surpasses the threshold of hearing (i.e. becomes 'transparent') then there is no point buying a more expensive DAC for to improve sound quality. Have a read through this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/

Other potential reasons to spend more on a DAC/Amp: functionality, power output, number and type of inputs/outputs, display, remote control capability, looks, build, warranty, etc.

I understand what you saying but I feel a different sound when I changed from the k5 ESS Pro to the k7. The k7 is more musical and the k5 has better imaging, the first uses AK chip and the other uses ES chip, maybe this is the reason that I feel differences between them. I preffer ES sound and for this reason I'm looking for a high end DAC with ES top range chip.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand what you saying but I feel a different sound when I changed from the k5 ESS Pro to the k7. The k7 is more musical and the k5 has better imaging, the first uses AK chip and the other uses ES chip, maybe this is the reason that I feel differences between them. I preffer ES sound and for this reason I'm looking for a high end DAC with ES top range chip.

Top Bottom