• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended DAC for stereo with volume control + remote (>$700)?

fritofritofrito

I have had an SMSL M200 for a couple years that I have been basically happy with, but the display died and it's out of warranty. I am looking to replace it, hopefully with something more reliable. I know the SMSL measures very well but surely something out there is also built to last? Here is some information:
  • Using in a stereo setup, I don't use headphones.
  • Want volume control via remote as my preamp does not have a remote.
  • I use a mini PC as my "streamer" using Plexamp as my player.
  • Don't really use/need bluetooth. RCA outputs, don't need balanced.
  • Would love to spend $500 or less but can consider options up to $700.
  • Build quality and appearance are important, especially build quality.
So far I am considering the Sabaj A20d 2023 and the Topping E70. Both well within price range and I believe have the features I'm looking for. Anyone have thoughts on build quality? Any others I should look at? I know the Sabaj is basically an SMSL, but it *looks* like a better build, but who knows.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got the Topping E70 Velvet and it's excellent. It's checks all the boxes for connectivity. The D70 Octo came in yesterday and the firmware update is easy now. I've got an E50 also and that would be just as good, only 3 filters and 1 and 3 are best, not complicated and has a remote. I'd just save the money and get the E50.

gvl

Major Contributor
For $700 a used RME ADI DAC is a possibility.

Top Bottom