• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 85.2%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rob Watts and the like won't be happy about these devices... They're ruining their business...:)
I don't think they are ruining their business though. The person that wants to spend £2-5k on a dac an hp amp isn't going to care about the £400 device from China no matter how it performs.

People don't buy chord because of its performance. They buy it because they believe it sounds better.

Lukino

I don't think they are ruining their business though. The person that wants to spend £2-5k on a dac an hp amp isn't going to care about the £400 device from China no matter how it performs.

People don't buy chord because of its performance. They buy it because they believe it sounds better.
As you say....they believe...That's all....

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Impressive! Also, this thing would look even better with a nicely polished, stainless volume knob.

View attachment 219282
That knob looks broken to me. Here, I fixed it:
volume-knob.jpg

Rescue911

When I turn the volume knob to adjust the sound level, I never look at it.
It's enough for me to listen.

Vict0r

That looks like spun aluminium to me.
Oh. Well, I mean a fancy stainless one. I just grabbed a pic off Google that a nice silver shiny knob on it. :p

PeteL

Major Contributor
The jewelry aspect is quite weak and won't save it. They need to step the performance so it is not a choice between looks and performance.
Actually, what it says to devellopping engineers like Rob Watt is that there is no more step of performance to aspire to. The off the shelves pre engineered solutions have already reached perfection. There is no incentive at all for these people that use to actually innovate to go that route, they'll never be able to compete in price anyway. What it shows is the death of the contribution audio manufacturers that actually develop stuff to the state of the art. The only way to go is to either innovate in features or to get a job at other silicon companies to create competition to AKM and ESS. No step of of performance is significant, on that level the limit of audibility have been reached, any effort put in that direction is completely futile.

roog

Forum Donor
Thank you for spreading the news @amirm , and I agree with regard to messaging, I am sure that more people are now looking at these types of product rather than passing by.
Certainly, I see that ASR is quoted more and more in other forums usually to a chorus of dissention from 'head in the sand types'. It seems that there are still a large number of brand loyal, nay, brand defenders who are so taken in by $$$$ = sound quality. May they enjoy their over priced fancy "CNC'ed to within an inch of their lives" case work containing poor performing and often ancient designs within.

I would love to see a test of the Sabaj A20a power amp or the A30a if there are any out there in the wild.

boswell

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sabaj A20d 2022 balanced stereo DAC and headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $420.
View attachment 219262
The new revision is very attractive and stylish. It belies its low cost. I like the colorful display and clear indicators. Headphone amplification is included and is output in both 1/4 and 4.4 mm. Note that the latter is not balanced and is simply there for compatibility (which I appreciated).

Back panel is what you expect:
View attachment 219263

A remote control is also provided. I like using the unit and my only wish was for acceleration support in volume control. Otherwise it takes a bit too long to go from one extreme to another.

Sabaj A20d 2022 DAC Measurements
Performance is exceptional using both balanced and unbalanced output even after bringing the levels down to nominal:
View attachment 219264

View attachment 219265

It lands the A20d comfortably in our top 20 best DACs:
View attachment 219266

Dynamic range goes with that:
View attachment 219267

Performance keeps improving up to maximum output level:
View attachment 219268

Multitone performance is exceptional:
View attachment 219269

Linearity is perfect:
View attachment 219270

IMD is excellent as well although we see a hint of famous ESS DAC signature:
View attachment 219271

Jitter is exemplary with all three inputs:
View attachment 219272
View attachment 219273

Note that I have refined this test to have less noise. So be careful in comparing it to past reviews although difference is not large.

Filter performance is the usual:
View attachment 219274

Using the default Fast Linear, THD+N performance is superb across full audible band:
View attachment 219275

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Amplifier
I was very pleased to see so much output in this combo:
View attachment 219276

View attachment 219277

With no clipping, what you hear is the headphone distortion and not the amp (at 32 ohm and higher). This is plenty of power to drive 95% of the headphones out there to very loud levels.

50 mv output is very good and above average:
View attachment 219278

View attachment 219279

So even sensitive IEMs should be good to go.

As noted, the amp only clips at impedances below 32 ohm. Performance otherwise is excellent:

View attachment 219280

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Listening Tests
I started with my everyday Dan Clark Stealth and was so pleased to see the A20d drive it with ease. Only at maximum volume did I hear some crackling but that was above comfort already. The sound was dynamic, detailed and just a delight. I saw no need to test with headphones with less drive requirement than the Stealth. You have my promise that it will blow your socks off! :)

Conclusions
Sabaj A20d 2022: a formula driven to perfection. Don't know what else to say. In every test and every angle, performance is incredibly good -- often at state of the art. Combine that with unique good looks and you have an easy winner.

It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Sabaj A20d 2022 revision.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Why are this and others not advertised as a DAC and pre-AMP as well as a DAC and HP-AMP.
Is there an issue with it being used as a pre-AMP?

delta76

Major Contributor
I hope you test the a20a 2022 soon. it looks good (on photo) and would combine with a20d 2022 nicely.
My impression with a20a 2022 was not very positive on the outside (buttons, Bluetooth etc.) but maybe it performs well :)

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
It decodes MQA, DSD, LDAC. Nice

Is it a pre-amp?

AndreaT

Whoa! Ferrari performance at FIAT’s price! As the Latin used to say, “pecunia non olet” (money does not stink). Anyone who has worked hard to emerge from a personal economy of subsistence knows there are always more things you can do with the $ 25k saved when you choose Sabaj instead of dCS. The current made in PRC offer of impeccable DACs is indeed a game changer. Thank you Amir for another splendid review! The a20d only misses a AES/EBU input to achieve stellar perfection.

Gio

Forum Donor
It decodes MQA, DSD, LDAC. Nice

Is it a pre-amp?
I'm using it connected to the Topping PA5 with volume fixed (but you can also use it with variable volume).

Top Bottom