• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

JktHifi

Hey, po100 pro came. I put it to ipad and now volume in ipad is locked in every app. Volume Puttons in ipad are not working etc. What the heck. Any help?
I'm using PO100 AK. Volume button working if I use RCA or Optical out, but it doesn't if I use coaxial out because it just go out max volume to the amp.
Probably need to update your iPad or wrong (broken) DAC/amp.

Or, check Audio/Visual setting inside Accessibility Setting menu then restart you iPad

Last edited:
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, po100 pro came. I put it to ipad and now volume in ipad is locked in every app. Volume Puttons in ipad are not working etc. What the heck. Any help?
That's an USB to S/PDIF converter. In my book, it is not supposed to control volume, your DAC is.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Faak....I have this rme adi 2 fs which don't have remote for volume. And no usb input, thats why i bought po100 pro. But this lack of software volume is annoying. Sometimes you need to adjust a litle.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First of all, thank you for discussing the problems of the PO100 series.
Then observe the test data, we suspect that the PO100 AK may be defective - parts soldering caused by this test. The following is the data of our test on PO100 AK.
View attachment 267367
View attachment 267369
So we request to be able to retest @VintageFlanker (we can provide a PO100 AK sample for free. Please contact me privately with the exact shipping address). The next item to note is that we are using one of the Slow Roll-Off filters in the AK4493S due to MQA certification.
Finally we will also put some detailed test data of the PO100 AK on our web sales page. Thank you for your continued support of our company. Thank you.
Hey mandy, can you help? I have po 100 pro connected to ipad pro 2021. I cant use volume anywhere in ipad while it is connected via usb. I need to use software volume in ipad. No mention about locked volume while this is connected. Help.

holbob

Would I be able to connect the Po100 pro to a nvidia shield? The shield has usb input and output.

Onira

okay... (I'm a dumbass) where would you connect it to, the PO100 Pro one without an amp... to E30 or (what) something better?

Hasan Aydin

The digital tests could be made in a different way, maybe more easy and even more accurate.

1. Generate a 1 kHz 24 bit ditherd sine, send it out via USB to SPDIF. Use one of your ADI-2s to receive and record that signal. Analyze the recording (or do it all in realtime with Multitone). The result should be a FFT of a 1 kHz sine full scale with a horizontally smooth and linear noise floor at about -180 dBFS, and nothing else. Any kind of bit mangling would show artefacts here.

2. Use DeltaWave to compare the original file (the played sine) with the recorded file. They should cancel 100%, proving bit accuracy.

3. In case you have any RME interface other than ADI-2 Pro/DAC you can use DIGICheck to see the Channel Status content of the DUT's SPDIF output, that way verify if that channel status includes wrong information (copy protection, bit length, sample rate, channel number, emphasis etc). Unfortunately this is a DIGCheck feature that due to technical reasons is not supported by the ADIs (they instead show Professional or Consumer status and Emphasis of the incoming signal directly on screen).

4. You could have used Bit Test to send out via your DUTs into the ADIs.

Just brainstorming...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME
I did the ADI-2 bit test. All passed

drhonk

Thank you for sharing the measurements, this is exactly what I need.

Onira

I'm going to connect PO100 Pro to DAC-X6 (after it has had replaced capacitors and it looks better in measuerments)
and then I go to headphones
Is there any cheap yet good I2S LVDS HDMI recveiver so I could get more quality from PO100Pro than 192kHz from digital output?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is there any cheap yet good I2S LVDS HDMI recveiver so I could get more quality from PO100Pro than 192kHz from digital output?
What would you expect to 'gain' in 'quality' ?

Onira

I'm just wondering if it would sound better as via LVDS I can get 384kHz or so

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is your hearing capable of hearing up to 80kHz and how many recordings would have relevant audio 'information' in it above say... 30kHz ?
What would be the link between sample rate and 'sound better' ?

Infinit0

For just using the digital output (coaxial) as a DDC/bridge into my digital input amplifier, not sure if I should pick this device, a topping d10s or something else.
I suppose this is better because is newer than the Topping, but again, not sure.
Any help? Thanks!!

Dumdum

For just using the digital output (coaxial) as a DDC/bridge into my digital input amplifier, not sure if I should pick this device, a topping d10s or something else.
I suppose this is better because is newer than the Topping, but again, not sure.
Any help? Thanks!!
This will be no worse or better performing than a topping, but it does have newer xmos chipset in it, and it’s cheaper

Infinit0

Thanks! nice, I think I will go with the SMSL then because I can't find any alternative in my countr, and to be honest 100 EUR for the Topping 10s where I dont need a DAC at all, its a bit too much.

GuyLux

I've bought a PO100pro, and tried to install drivers on my computer, running w8.1--x86 ,
Sadly, there are no drivers available, althought it's not written anywhere
Thanks for any help
I've tested SMSL Drivers 5.00 I use with SMSL SU-9 dac : works perfectly also with PO100pro.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker,
A bit off-topic, but I will ask anyway:
Is there a reason why REW sometimes decides the put the y-axis titles/units on the right side of the graph?
[Even if for convenience, it bucks the 'tradition'.]

Top Bottom