• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rugby World Cup 2023

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't watch much full team rugby, with equal teams all it is, is grabbing, pushing and penalties.
But, Rugby Sevens is interesting game.
Also saw what appeared to be Australian rules rugby, just a little bit better than full team.
Two sets of rules. League and union. Worldcup is Union. There is a national league in Australia. 13 instead of 15 players with fewer penalties and a few other differences resulting in a more flowing game. I find it not as interesting in the various styles of play you can have in union. But to each his own. Scrums, and rucks are uncontested with no line in or mauls. Maybe that is the one you saw.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on Fiji’s first game performance, I’m expecting a stormer of a match against Australia. And I pick Japan to upset the hapless English. I said it.

OP
P

poxymoron

Based on Fiji’s first game performance, I’m expecting a stormer of a match against Australia. And I pick Japan to upset the hapless English. I said it.
Agree on the Fiji game but not on the Japan game. As a confidence game I think England's win over Argentina is a massive boost. But, this is rugby and anything can happen. So, a pointless reply by me really. :facepalm:

CapMan

Major Contributor
Japan could do to England what they did to South Africa a few world cups back.

They are fast, organised, precise … quite a handful for sure.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Some World Cup games on live US cable TV:
Wales vs. Portugal
South Africa vs. Romania
Georgia vs. Portugal
England vs. Chile
Scotland vs. Tonga

Other leagues on some US cable TV sports packages:
USA Eagles vs Stade Toulousain
NRL Rugby ~ New Zealand Warriors vs. Newcastle Knights
NRL Women's Premiership "Sydney Roosters vs. North Queensland Cowboys"

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Played all through school (at hooker), but never beyond that - it was safer that way !!
Fly half. I played baseball through high school but was not good enough to play at my university's strong baseball program so I played club rugby. There were only three other college clubs in the state in those days. We had local older men in our club too and we played against mens city clubs to fill out our schedule. Along with playing college clubs in the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee. It was just great fun. The level was low enough that I was able to play on the A side pretty quickly. We all loved it so many of us would fill in on B side matches and then live with the cramps of playing two matches back to back.

Biggest challenge with fly half in my club was that the forwards were always telling me to keep it inside because they did not like to run. The fullback (good friend) was our captain and he was telling me to get the ball out! I sided with the forwards because I also preferred trying to break through on the inside and getting mauled over doing a lot of running.

I was not good enough to be an A side player on a good city club so I dropped it after college, except for occasional sevens pickup stuff for a while. Like you, self-preservation was another factor!

Sorry if talking story is out of place in this thread. But this World Cup has me reminiscing!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fiji game was phenomenal. Now waiting on the Japanese to spring the surprise on England.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that was the most scrappy game of rugby I’ve seen for ages. Just awful.
Watching england play rugby tends be an ugly affair.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Axed Wallabies champion says Eddie Jones will be 'feeling the pinch' as he  enters Rugby World Cup with just one win from last 14 matches | Daily Mail  Online

... I hear Eddie is blaming aliens. ;)

JSmith

CapMan

Major Contributor
Fantastic match between Georgia and Portugal with ball in hand. What a gripping final 5!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where’d this England style of play come from against chile. They’ve been fast and relentless.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Good to see them enjoying playing, but a flattering score against a semi-pro team. I think there might be a decent team in the squad - hope they have time to find it :)

Top Bottom