• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of Ascend Acoustics’ ELX Tower Speakers (2022 revision)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spins look pretty good.

1686931620284.png

1686931636459.png

OP
H

hilde45

Difficult...for you. Sorry to say so.
The review lists objective things like room size, components, and has extensive details from the engineer about design.
What you dismiss as "subjective opinions" are based on sensory experiences which are objectively sensed by an objective human being.
At the very least, they provide a starting point for measurements. All science begins with subjective experience, you realize. Consider, also, that objective measurements must be translated back to subjective experiences. A number is meaningless unless translated into experiential terms.
Perhaps Amir might find a reason to measure this speaker? That would be cool.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome speaker.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What you dismiss as "subjective opinions" are based on sensory experiences which are objectively sensed by an objective human being.
Our senses are influenced by many things from our mood to the weather. I'm glad you found a speaker you enjoy but I can tell more about the speaker from looking at the measurements which look very good. One other point, I don't think there are many here that would give much credence to the opinion of the reviewers or magazines mentioned.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no way a human being can experience anything objectively. Everything a sense reports to the brain is heavily processed based on the other senses and the accumulated experiences of a life time before it enters the conscious part.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
There is no way a human being can experience anything objectively. Everything a sense reports to the brain is heavily processed based on the other senses and the accumulated experiences of a life time before it enters the conscious part.

Are the semantic dialectics really useful? Taking a few normal assumptions, I think that (objectively speaking) the OP sensed said sensory experiences, and (objectively again) is a human being. Maybe, just as we have a catch-all thread to deposit posts focused on measurement quibbles, we could have one as a repository for posts focusing on philosophical contention as well?

MarkS

Major Contributor
No measurements, just subjective opinions ... difficult to say how much one really gains reading it. Sorry to say so.
Why bother to say something that you're sorry to say?

OP: you could help avoid this type of comment with the title "Subjective Review of ...". Many here expect a "review" to include measurements.

For myself, I enjoyed reading the review, especially your musical selections, which I am enjoying checking out on my own system.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it was his first post at ASR and I didn't want to appear unfriendly. He might not know the "rules" here ...
For myself, I enjoyed reading the review, especially your musical selections, which I am enjoying checking out on my own system.
Agreed.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Because it was his first post at ASR and I didn't want to appear unfriendly. He might not know the "rules" here ...
Well your comment sure came off as unfriendly to me.

And AFAIK there is no rule here against links to subjective reviews.

jonfitch

I had a Sierra Tower pair briefly, I feel they are a little too short for towers. In general I find towers difficult to work around because its not easy to adjust the height due to the weight and size to get them to ear level. It's a lot easier to get a pair of monitors with stands. The other thing is they are also too heavy for even motorized speaker stands (which are just glorified converted standing desks). Also the towers look a bit too monkey coffiny, I think the monitors are easier to deal with decor wise.

OP
H

hilde45

OP: you could help avoid this type of comment with the title "Subjective Review of ...". Many here expect a "review" to include measurements.

Thanks, MarkS. I have gotten a lot out of ASR and while I post at Audigon, I'm pretty much happy to listen to both sides. I've defended ASR and Amir over there when some slam ASR for being "measurementalists." To me, there need to be multiple ways of figuring things out, and confirmation bias is a really important concern.

Last edited:
OP
H

hilde45

You can, but expect to be eviscerated by users and all the dealers that post there. To me audiogon is a place where people practice their poetry skills about audio.
I've found a number of really well-informed, scientifically minded people there. Some have had long careers as physical scientists and engineers. Of course, every site has people who are not worth listening to, but I have found some really smart and kind people there.

Top Bottom