• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 V2 - Review & Measurements by Erin

Putter

Forum Donor
Hope this helps.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2
Price: 500
Tonality: 6.7
Bass extension: 41Hz
Flatness: ±2.7dB

KEF LS50 Meta
Tonality: 5.9
Bass extension: 45Hz
Flatness: ±2.9dB

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2
Tonality: 6.7
w/eq 6.9
w/sub 8.7
w/eq + sub 8.6

Bass extension: 41Hz
Flatness: ±2.7dB

KEF LS50 Meta
Tonality: 5.9
w/eq 6.5
w/sub 8.0
w/eq + sub 8.5

Bass extension: 45Hz
Flatness: ±2.9dB

Some extra info which brings the scores closer together. Based on this there would be a preference for the Ascends if you had no sub or EQ or possibly if only a sub and no EQ. This of course ignore such things as aesthetics, imaging of a coaxial speaker, distortion,......

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of distortion, the Sierra 1 V2 has slightly lower than the LS50 Meta.

1000155966.png

1000155967.png

Though compression is a bit better on the LS50 Meta.

1000155968.png
1000155969.png

Between both I would definitely choose the Sierra 1 V2.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MD correlates in my experience better to audibility and is surprisingly* a bit tad lower on the LS50:

MTON-FULL.png

MTON-Full.png

* Surprisingly as the LS50 has a smaller driver and is a coaxial design, it seems its midwoofer motor is a better design though.

Also horizontal and vertical directivities of LS50 are quite supperior:

KEF-LS50-Meta-0-Horizontal-Contour-Plot-Normalized.png

Ascend-Acoustics-Sierra-1-V2-Horizontal-Contour-Plot-Normalized.png

KEF-LS50-Meta-0-Vertical-Contour-Plot-Normalized.png

Ascend-Acoustics-Sierra-1-V2-Vertical-Contour-Plot-Normalized.png

so it responds to EQ better.

Both great loudspeakers in their price range so like always there is no clear general or objective "winner", it most depends on the usage, for example for nearfield and desktop monitoring I personally prefer coaxial designs like the LS50 due to relatively large change of vertical listening angle when changing posture and due to the reflections of the desktop surface.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also horizontal and vertical directivities of LS50 are quite superior:

so it responds to EQ better.
While this is true, the Sierra 1 V2 is already so linear that no EQ is needed above transition range. While the LS50 Meta could use a bump to linearize it's midrange dip at ~2.5 kHz.

But agreed that nearfield the coax makes more sense.

Pareto Pragmatic

The Sierra-1 and Sierra-2 use the same size cabinet. The differences between these two Ascend models are potentially the drivers/x-overs which are essentially the same nominal size from an industry standpoint. In the Sierra-1-V2 vs LX case, same tweeter different woofer.
IIRC, there is a 3lb difference in speaker weight.

Ok, looked, 2.5 lbs. Likely most/all from the woofer.

BTW, as of this morning the V2 is 5% off, so $50 lower in price than the last time I looked.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While this is true, the Sierra 1 V2 is already so linear that no EQ is needed above transition range. While the LS50 Meta could use a bump to linearize it's midrange dip at ~2.5 kHz.

But agreed that nearfield the coax makes more sense.
True, also the bass of the Sierra is a bit more linear and deeper, on the other hand lately I prefer the sound with such a slight presence dip for most of the music I listen to.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Review by @amirm :
1000029076.jpg

madrac

Yes, except for (at times) different finishes and US-source vs overseas source (no longer an option).

I was trying to leave wiggle room for the nitpickers because there have been minor variances over time.
This isn't clear. As far as I know, the cabinets are sourced overseas now, not in the US. I seem to recall someone (could have been Dave) that their domestic cabinet maker went belly-up.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit to being a bit of a KEF fanboi, but I also have to admit I'm extremely impressed by what Ascend is doing.

Jack Oclee-Brown needs to keep his eyes on his rear-view mirror. These guys can seriously build a fine speaker.

Top Bottom