• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of Ascend Acoustics’ ELX Tower Speakers (2022 revision)

OP
H

hilde45

I had a Sierra Tower pair briefly, I feel they are a little too short for towers. In general I find towers difficult to work around because its not easy to adjust the height due to the weight and size to get them to ear level. It's a lot easier to get a pair of monitors with stands. The other thing is they are also too heavy for even motorized speaker stands (which are just glorified converted standing desks). Also the towers look a bit too monkey coffiny, I think the monitors are easier to deal with decor wise.
This is an interesting comment. I currently have the tower in a low-ceiling space and they fit well, but if I move to a larger room, I suspect your point may be the one which comes to my mind. May I ask what standmounts you moved to?

OP
H

hilde45

Well your comment sure came off as unfriendly to me.

And AFAIK there is no rule here against links to subjective reviews.
One reason I posted here was because there have been reviews and discussion of Ascend products before. For that reason alone, I thought my review might contain something of value to someone. My impression of ASR was that, whatever its predilections, there is an inclination for open discussion with people who take time to contribute.

OP
H

hilde45

The Ricardo Villlalobos & Max Loderbauer piece was a nice find, thank you, I don't stray into interesting jazz so often.
Thank you! It was a chance discovery for me. I'm more traditionalist in my listening, but some tunes really stretch my speakers.

OP
H

hilde45

There is no way a human being can experience anything objectively. Everything a sense reports to the brain is heavily processed based on the other senses and the accumulated experiences of a life time before it enters the conscious part.
I agree. Even numbers are processed, interpreted, related, used.

decooney

I've found a number of really well-informed, scientifically minded people there. Some have had long careers as physical scientists and engineers. Of course, every site has people who are not worth listening to, but I have found some really smart and kind people there.

Yep. Many like to listen first over at Agon before passing total judgment on audio and music reproduction. One "best measuring" piece of gear reported here on ASR did not work out for me in my system. Returned it. Won't ever do that again as a primary reason to purchase new audio equipment. Thank goodness there was a refund escape route.

Next, compared notes with others who actually do serious listening and enjoy music first. Found something that did not measure as well which sounded more enjoyable. Makes one question - what are you measuring, clearly not enough when it comes to humans and what is perceived as "enjoyment". How about measuring the end result first.

Maybe scientists here on ASR can develop new sensors and meters to place near the central amygdala neurons part of the brain, measuring human enjoyment first.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Many like to listen first over at Agon before passing total judgment on audio and music reproduction.
This is fine, as long as it is really listening that is being done, and not looking. Sighted biasing is a huge effect (see videos on the McGurk effect for a startling example). And there are plenty of people at Agon (and many other places) who claim to hear effects in situations where that is simply physically impossible (e.g., from different power cords). I prefer not to con myself, either with sighted biasing or with measurements that are irrelevant (super-high SINAD being a prime example).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Many like to listen first over at Agon before passing total judgment on audio and music reproduction. One "best measuring" piece of gear reported here on ASR did not work out for me in my system. Returned it. Won't ever do that again as a primary reason to purchase new audio equipment. Thank goodness there was a refund escape route.

Next, compared notes with others who actually do serious listening and enjoy music first. Found something that did not measure as well which sounded more enjoyable. Makes one question - what are you measuring, clearly not enough when it comes to humans and what is perceived as "enjoyment". How about measuring the end result first.

Maybe scientists here on ASR can develop new sensors and meters to place near the central amygdala neurons part of the brain, measuring human enjoyment first.

Who passes total judgement on audio without a listen? What was the gear you were disappointed in? Would be kind of dumb to buy something without a listen or a return option, sort of like basing an purchase on merely someone else's subjective experience.

More enjoyable to you may not mean enjoyable to me, just as I may not care for your tastes in food/beverage/art etc Whose enjoyment particularly would you base a "measurement" on?

decooney

...Who passes total judgement on audio without a listen? What was the gear you were disappointed in? Would be kind of dumb to buy something without a listen or a return option, sort of like basing a purchase on merely someone else's subjective experience.

More enjoyable to you may not mean enjoyable to me, just as I may not care for your tastes in food/beverage/art etc Whose enjoyment particularly would you base a "measurement" on?

Exactly. Who would. Living among a large chapter of AES members in my region for the past 45 years, yep - many have different tastes in gear, music, and more. None of them show up with their measurement tools and meters at groups listening sessions. Members bring their ears and gears, and decide what they like, individually. The only thing that matters. Having worked professionally in the audio manufacturing industry - one thing that resonates with me is how people simply enjoy different things. Makes it interesting.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. Who would. Living among a large chapter of AES members in my region for the past 45 years, yep - many have different tastes in gear, music, and more. None of them show up with their measurement tools and meters at groups listening sessions. Members bring their ears and gears, and decide what they like, individually. The only thing that matters. Having worked professionally in the audio manufacturing industry - one thing that resonates with me is how people simply enjoy different things. Makes it interesting.

I barely know anyone else interested enough to gather to "listen" to gear, or being close enough these days to gather at all (let alone wanting to pack up their gear and bring it with them). Maybe visit each others' homes would be more appropriate. Maybe a speaker comparison session if well setup. but other types of hardware doesn't seem very interesting. Gathering to blind test might be interesting, but a bunch of people just measuring in one location just doesn't sound like a good use of one's time. Not sure of your point overall.

So what was the gear you bought based only on an objective review that you were disappointed with? Were they even speakers like the subject of this thread?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Thank you! It was a chance discovery for me. I'm more traditionalist in my listening, but some tunes really stretch my speakers.

I'm still enjoying that album today (listening to the second disc now :) I expect I'll explore more stuff by them and their other collaborators. Music is endless, isn't it?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This statement is largely semantics. If you ran your hand through a buzz saw and started to cut off your finger, how long would it take for that to enter "your conscious part"?
Actually chances are that this takes quite some time. The shock is so strong that people don't feel pain. The reason behind this is based on our evolution. If a predator bites you the shut down of the pain by the brain keeps you active so you are still able to fight or run. The pain comes later when you're out of danger.
If you fell down a steep, rocky hill, do you think your body would experience anything objectively?
When you read stories of mountaineers who survived a fall they all report that the reaized that their body hit rocks but they did not feel pain. The pain comes when they are on the ground and no longer falling, and it comes with a delay. Been there, done that :facepalm:
What about a thief putting a knife to your throat and demanding your money?
Of course you experience it in this situation, but it is a subjective experience. People have different sensitivities and pain levels.
Do you think that the time it takes for your brain to process that would prevent you from experiencing the sharp point objectively?
The processing (or filtering) is fast, it happens in the unconscious part of the brain. That's why we don't realize that it happens at all, which is the major problem in listening tests.

decooney

I barely know anyone else interested enough to gather to "listen" to gear, or being close enough these days to gather at all (let alone wanting to pack up their gear and bring it with them). Maybe visit each others' homes would be more appropriate. Maybe a speaker comparison session if well setup. but other types of hardware doesn't seem very interesting. Gathering to blind test might be interesting, but a bunch of people just measuring in one location just doesn't sound like a good use of one's time. Not sure of your point overall.

So what was the gear you bought based only on an objective review that you were disappointed with? Were they even speakers like the subject of this thread?
It was equipment evaluated here, no not speakers. I build my own speakers. And, don't care to share more since the mfg offered a refund. They did their part, and nothing else to share. Point was - specs and measurements can be helpful, sure. However it's not all of it for some of us who care about the music too. Best of luck.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was equipment evaluated here, no not speakers. I build my own speakers. And, don't care to share more since the mfg offered a refund. They did their part, and nothing else to share. Point was - specs and measurements can be helpful, sure. However it's not all of it for some of us who care about the music too. Best of luck.
So you're saying that I must not care about music? I'd say that's more likely your issue with all the fussiness with hardware. So what was the unit you found so lacking in "musicality" (I dislike that term to describe hardware).

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I added the tower to spinorama.org. This is the best tower (floorstander) measured and also the best passive speaker.
That's a great achievement. The price is also very reasonable for this level of quality.

The MTM pattern will also work well in most reflective rooms.

I am impressed. Good job @AscendDF!

MarkS

Major Contributor
It's not MTM, it's MTWW:

ELXRTntpair_600x_crop_center.png.jpeg

JAJDACT

I bought a pair of these a month ago and I can easily say they are the best speakers I have owned.

MarkS

Major Contributor
What else have you owned?

I'm seriously thinking of getting a pair ...

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Klipsch RP600M II,KEF R3's,Philharmonic BMR's twice,CSS Criton 1TD-X's and 2TD-X towers,Arendal 1723 S monitors and 1961 towers,and Ascend Sierra LX's.
Whadya like between the bmr and sierra lx... I've heard the bmr, they're the best I've heard but the lx measures so well that it has to sound pretty great....

JAJDACT

Whadya like between the bmr and sierra lx... I've heard the bmr, they're the best I've heard but the lx measures so well that it has to sound pretty great....
It was a really tough choice between those two. I felt like the LX was more cohesive and focused in its presentation,and more dynamic. The BMR excelled with some genre's,like acoustic guitar and string instruments.The LX performed better with rock and studio recordings. I feel like the LX was the better speaker overall but the BMR is right behind it. It's really a matter of preference. The BMR dispersion is a little too wide for my taste,but depending on your room and taste in music it may not matter. The BMR also looks much better than the LX in my opinion,for those who value aesthetics. The LX isn't ugly at all,it just looks a little more basic in design.

Top Bottom