• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

maty

Major Contributor
Inferior? Why?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bel-canto-eone-ref600m-power-amplifier-measurements

916BC600fig7.jpg

Audiocrusader

Is that Hypex only manufactured one, the evaluation. Since then Nord has not improved much (very bad implementation).

Was there another review with measurements of his amp with custom discrete buffer?

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yep with Hypex buffer, I was inferring our REV D buffer using Polystyrene capacitors, metal film resistors and discrete Voltage regulators and Op amps.
We sell very few Hypex buffered amps, but is an entry point into NC500 and allows a quick DIY upgrade at a latter date. As you know the Hypex buffer board was intended as an evaluation tool for manufactures only.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yep with Hypex buffer, I was inferring our REV D buffer using Polystyrene capacitors, metal film resistors and discrete Voltage regulators and Op amps.
We sell very few Hypex buffered amps, but is an entry point into NC500 and allows a quick DIY upgrade at a latter date. As you know the Hypex buffer board was intended as an evaluation tool for manufactures only.

Is the Purifi 1ET400A amp still for sale? Can't find it anymore

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

carlob

Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I don't know why but yesterday was browsing the Nord website and couldn't find it. I'll check also the Apollon one but the real decision I have to make is if it's worth spending a bit more to get the Benchmark AHB2
If I were you I would try the Purifi first, and if not happy, then sell it (should be easy) and then get the AHB2. There is a price difference...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
index.php

Nord's implementation is Bad! Quoting my buddy Mike from Mivera audio :

I can't believe he's using cheap Chinese unshielded what appears to be 18-20g AC mains wire. But that's not the worst part. He's running the hot (brown wire) not only through 10-15x the amount of cable as the neutral, also through a very high loss, low current capable push button switch on the front panel. Those tiny low current contact in that switch are not designed for this kind of current. Then you can see that cheap IDE ribbon cable that was designed for old school hard drives, CD drives and floppy drives carries the super noisy aux power from the Hypex supply to his buffer board. The Sparko opamps (which were the worst sounding 990/2520 format discrete opamps I ever tested) are installed in his buffer.
And the Sparko regulators share the duty of powering them and the modulator board that is sticking up on the side of the Purifi module. On the Puribuffers that board gets its own dedicated dual supply. Same with my gain stage. Speaker wire looks like Neotech copper which is good. But nowhere in the league of the OCC silver. And at 10x less cost it should be expected. Speaker binding posts are Chinese brass, with tin ringlets tightened on with brass nuts.
But guess what, not a single person besides me would ever notice any of those things. And the worst part is the Purifi modules themselves, are going to be judged based on implementations like this or worse.

Unfortunately by quoting Mike your credibility has been destroyed. Not bad for your first post.

goryu

Unfortunately by quoting Mike your credibility has been destroyed. Not bad for your first post.

As has been mentioned, the business model for Minerva is just plain dumb. Frankly, with all the constant controversy this Mike character seems to generate, I am surprised Bruno has anything to do with him.

Top Bottom