• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Dynaco ST 70

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
SIY, is there a driver board you'd recommend that ditches the hard to find 7199?

Not sure what's out there these days (I designed my own), but Joe Curcio's board was pretty good and I bet there's some version of it still floating around. His used ECC88-types, and I've done some adaptions of it to use 12AT7 as well, since JJ is making some really excellent ECC81/12AT7 at a very good price.

If someone wants to design a PCB, I can provide what I think is a very good circuit at no charge (I don't make money from hifi sales, it would be a conflict-of-interest in my opinion).

Reactions: DDF

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I had 2 of these back in the day. They were sold for peanuts when I made a long distance move.

DKT88

Not sure what's out there these days (I designed my own), but Joe Curcio's board was pretty good and I bet there's some version of it still floating around. His used ECC88-types, and I've done some adaptions of it to use 12AT7 as well, since JJ is making some really excellent ECC81/12AT7 at a very good price.

If someone wants to design a PCB, I can provide what I think is a very good circuit at no charge (I don't make money from hifi sales, it would be a conflict-of-interest in my opinion).
Curcio's web site is still up and he still shows the boards available.

Reactions: DDF

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Curcio's web site is still up and he still shows the boards available.

That's good news. It was a very well thought out design, and Joe seemed like a good guy when I met him a few years back.

DKT88

That's good news. It was a very well thought out design, and Joe seemed like a good guy when I met him a few years back.
I used his drivers for a couple dynakit MkIII amps in the early 90s. I also built his MQ-100 power amps which I still have.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reactions: trl

Jaimo

I have a ST35, ST70 and a pair of MK3 clones - these are fantastic legacy products and they sound great. My MK3's are point to point wired and modified with switching B+ Neurochrome regulators. To my ears, they sounded better driving my Magnepan MG1.6's than a Bryston 4BST.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Stereophile measured the Dynaco Stereo 70 II, not the same, but...

Wow. That exchange between Stereophile and Bob Rapoport is just just horrible. Never seen anything like it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was asked for wideband FFT to see if there are any problematic ultrasonic issues. Here it is:

1554434261596.png

It is pretty clean.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I swapped the tubes from left to right channel and vice versa. It made the good channel a bit worse for distortion and didn't improve the other. However, the levels now completely match which is good.

Adjusting the bias to lower values improves things a bit. It raises 2nd harmonic and lowers the 3rd. I should measure the inline resistors to see what the actual values are.

Stability is pretty poor though. It went into nasty oscillation a few times. Could hear the chassis rattling! What are the typical causes for this?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Stability is pretty poor though. It went into nasty oscillation a few times. Could hear the chassis rattling! What are the typical causes for this?

Low or high frequency? if the latter, likely the same as any other amp- inadequate phase margin, fixed by either by lowering the dominant pole or increasing the compensation cap in one of the feedback networks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow. That exchange between Stereophile and Bob Rapoport is just just horrible. Never seen anything like it.
Stunning. Some of these people have no business sense whatsoever:

1554435747234.png

It only gets worse after this!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Low or high frequency? if the latter, likely the same as any other amp- inadequate phase margin, fixed by either by lowering the dominant pole or increasing the compensation cap in one of the feedback networks.
I didn't want to leave it running too long in that mode but for a few seconds, I thought it was stuck producing 60 Hz to the tune of a few watts with no input.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That might be the power supply coughing as the amp does some squegging. It's still an HF oscillation, but it sucks power so the supply sags and the power transformer goes in and out of saturation.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Ouch. I just looked at the pictures and thought I was done.

Reactions: trl

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
SIY, is there a driver board you'd recommend that ditches the hard to find 7199? I have a pair of clean MKIV's collecting dust for the last 30 years.

I may be the only guy on ASR that owns both amps at opposite extremes of the SINAD graph. :)

Hi DDF,

I have a pair of monoblock Hypex NC400 and a set of Kebschull 35/70 monoblocks from a Bavarian manufacturer that is of course long out of business (from the early 80s -- the amp based on the EL34 pentode power stage, EF86 pentode voltage amplifier and 6SN7 concertina phase splitter design developed by Harold Leak for the TL/12 "Point 1" and TL/10 in the mid 40s - 50s).

Although I don't know what the Kebschulls rate in SINAD, I can imagine it's something like the ST 70. The design is what was called "ultralinear" back then. If they didn't weigh like a sack a bricks, I should send them to Amir, so that we can we can see what progress ancient, to old, to those new boutique retro tube amps have made.

I guess it's best to cover the ends of the spectrum, as you say. ;)

Top Bottom