• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

aido78

I've been using RoomEQ wizard to calibrate the FR via EQ APO.....I've had great success with this in the past, but it hasn't helped with my m16s on this occasion.

However, I'd like try these speakers in a bigger room to see how much my current listening room is a factor...

YSC

Major Contributor
I've been using RoomEQ wizard to calibrate the FR via EQ APO.....I've had great success with this in the past, but it hasn't helped with my m16s on this occasion.

However, I'd like try these speakers in a bigger room to see how much my current listening room is a factor...
interesting, could you show the before and after EQ results?

aido78

GREEN = PRE
BLUE = POST

Measurements are with both rear ports stuff with acoustic foam and around 2 meters out from from wall...

IMG-4580.jpg

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The measurement looks a bit strange to me (I also own and use the M16), may I ask:
  • This is a single sweep measurement, right? (I.e. not a moving microphone method (MMM) measurement or a spatial average of multiple sweeps?)
    With such measurements I'd strongly advise against doing full-range correction, as that will try to fix comb-filtering effects typical for the measurement method, which will cause irregularities to the on-axis response and will surely sound worse.
    Even in general I'd advise to only do below ~300Hz correction for well-measuring loudspeakers (such as M16) rather than full-range correction. I'd only try correcting above ~300Hz based on anechoic measurements (and not based on the in-room measurement like you show above).
  • How far is your listening position from the loudspeakers? The target seems too flat to me (no slope), and IME that can only work in the very nearfield.
  • You seem to have significant suckout in the 80-200Hz range; have you tried to push the loudspeakers closer to the back wall to address this?
  • Due to suckout the PEQ correction you did seems to have significant boost filters. This can cause issues (bass bloat) at other listening positions - personally I prefer to optimize the loudspeaker position to reduce suckout as much as possible (or better yet: use a subwoofer to significantly reduce SBIR) and then only use subtractive PEQ to bring down peaks. That IMHO works much better and results in less issues in other listening positions.
  • Lastly, I'd strongly suggest to use MMM and the REW "variable" smoothing as basis for PEQ, with a sloped target that approximates the natural slope of the loudspeaker >500Hz. Perhaps these short instructions may be of help (note that this was for a desktop system so I also used a flat target; for listening from further away a sloped target is more appropriate).
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
GREEN = PRE
BLUE = POST

Measurements are with both rear ports stuff with acoustic foam and around 2 meters out from from wall...

View attachment 312801
correction to in room flat at MLP isn't a good idea, also not good for full range correction.... try to do only cut only EQ below 200hz and leave the others intact should be much better

dominikz

Forum Donor
cool, will try the suggestions out.
Let us know how it goes :)
I'd also suggest to unplug the ports - especially if you don't have a sub. Room EQ and loudspeaker positioning should take care of the bass bloom, and the port should give you more headroom and LF extension.

EDIT: In case it helps, I did quite a lot of experimentation with my M16; here's links to a few posts that might be useful:

Last edited:

KRACER

Screenshot_2023-10-12-19-27-00-63.jpg
I found the subwoofer used in m16 on a second-hand item website in China. They look the same and the price is very cheap, only RMB 125 yuan.

AVKS

I've been using an Android phone as a streamer for years and just recently gained the ability to connect to my work computer instead (Spotify HQ--> E50). My lord, I swear that bumping the Android audio processing out of the chain has made a very notable difference in the audio quality, not so much night and day per se but much better in terms of dynamics and general clarity.

Now, I put that comment in here because I have M16s on my desk and feel they represented any change very well but ended up swapping them out for some B&W 607s that a friend insisted I try... my lord, that was an unpleasant time. Putting the Revels back on the desk just made it clear how pleasing and effortless these speakers are. I'm not a big EQ guy so only a couple of db down on that midbass hump and the magic is just there, no fuss and no muss. Very nice to just relax and enjoy the music without reaching for EQ every song.

Pauper

I've been using an Android phone as a streamer for years and just recently gained the ability to connect to my work computer instead (Spotify HQ--> E50). My lord, I swear that bumping the Android audio processing out of the chain has made a very notable difference in the audio quality, not so much night and day per se but much better in terms of dynamics and general clarity.

Now, I put that comment in here because I have M16s on my desk and feel they represented any change very well but ended up swapping them out for some B&W 607s that a friend insisted I try... my lord, that was an unpleasant time. Putting the Revels back on the desk just made it clear how pleasing and effortless these speakers are. I'm not a big EQ guy so only a couple of db down on that midbass hump and the magic is just there, no fuss and no muss. Very nice to just relax and enjoy the music without reaching for EQ every song.
Same here . I replaced Dali Spektor 2’s with M16’s and loving them. The Dali’s are very good by the way. Using them with a Cambridge CXA61

dominikz

Forum Donor
What’s the closest you’d position these for listening?

Could you get away with 1.5m (5’)?
While I was doing measurements on my pair I noticed that after around 0,75m/2,5ft away there is no significant change to the direct sound response. So 5ft/1,5m should definitely be more than far enough.

nathan

Am I reading the specs right on these versus the S16 speakers in the same lineup. These obviously go lower by an octave so in situations without a subwoofer these would be preference. But the S16 is several decibels more sensitive and has slightly higher power handling, so in theory could get notably louder without distress?

Top Bottom