• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

djkrimsom

~$150 USD off each Revel M16 - Gloss White
original price: $495 each

kevin1969

Congratulations. I found the M16 to M106 upgrade to be significant. Also the C25 to C205 significant.

What did you find to be better with the M106?

I have the M16s but in a pretty large room so the higher frequency dispersion suffers a bit.

Bren Derlin

What did you find to be better with the M106?

I have the M16s but in a pretty large room so the higher frequency dispersion suffers a bit.

I made the jump from the M16 to the M106.
To me, the M106 are more airy and detailed (clarity) in the upper end, and have more texture in the mid-bass. If you don't have a sub, the M106 will sound a bit thinner than the M16 in the low end. I still have the M16 - they replaced our Polk LSi15 speakers in our living room rig, a significant improvement in sound quality, IMO. We also added the C205 to replace the LSiC, and that leap was significant as well.

I don't use a center in our HT space with the M106. And after living without one for nearly a year, I have zero plans to add one. Those two M106 speakers create an expansive soundstage - to the point it sounds far more cinematic without than with. ...and by comparison, I have the M16 + the C205 upstairs. I prefer movies without the center...

Ngower

Does anyone here have the Revel in an apartment environment? Their overwhelming praise has me intrigued, but remarks about "bass boost" steer me away as I don't want any more bass than is necessarry so as to avoid drawing the ire of neighbors/front office.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does anyone here have the Revel in an apartment environment? Their overwhelming praise has me intrigued, but remarks about "bass boost" steer me away as I don't want any more bass than is necessarry so as to avoid drawing the ire of neighbors/front office.
That's what things like tone controls or digital room correction are made for.
Your the boss, not the speaker. ;)

Ngower

That's what things like tone controls or digital room correction are made for.
Your the boss, not the speaker. ;)
Yeah but I don't want to be overly reliant on tone controls and want to limit that as much as possible.

nathan

Yeah but I don't want to be overly reliant on tone controls and want to limit that as much as possible.
Huh?

What would you be driving them with?

They can be eq-ed flat very easily but the “boost” is simply a little body in the bass that psychologically tricks you into thinking they are a little more full range than they are WITHOUT actually having deep bass. That is, they are less likely to annoy other people because they don’t go so low. That is, the genuine low range is what travels through walls like a hot knife through butter. And these speakers don’t have that genuine low range…..but trick your brain with a slight bump higher up.

We are talking about a 2.5db boost.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have Revels M106s, M105s and C205 with a pair of Rythmik Audio E22s subwoofers in my bedroom and this is a 2 beds apt and never had a complaint. I have 6 subwoofers in my apt and like I said, never had a complaint in 13 years. Just be respectful of your neighbors and don’t play loud at late night and you should be fine.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just be respectful of your neighbors and don’t play loud at late night and you should be fine.
Nah, as an audiophile, you get extra points for pissing off the neighbors. :p

AVKS

Nearly every room/scenario benefits from tone controls/EQ in the midbass and bass ranges, as much for sound quality as anything else. The M16s do have a midbass hump but wanting/needing to shape that a bit isn't inherently bad.

Ngower

Nearly every room/scenario benefits from tone controls/EQ in the midbass and bass ranges, as much for sound quality as anything else. The M16s do have a midbass hump but wanting/needing to shape that a bit isn't inherently bad.
I ultimately decided against the M16. I think I'd rather go up to something like/comparable to the M106 (or JBL L82 or PSB B600 or other speakers around this price/performance ratio). I think the move from my current speakers wouldn't be large enough. Maybe if the M16 go on sale again I'll give em a go.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I ultimately decided against the M16. I think I'd rather go up to something like/comparable to the M106 (or JBL L82 or PSB B600 or other speakers around this price/performance ratio). I think the move from my current speakers wouldn't be large enough. Maybe if the M16 go on sale again I'll give em a go.
JMHO, if your going to spend that kind of money, I've had stand mounts a couple times but in the end prefer something more full range. Besides, the footprint of taken floor space from the stand is then pretty much the same.
Maybe give a listen to Revel F206 or JBL HDI-3600. I love the balance and power of my JBL 3600s
YMMV

Last edited:

sojun80

I find they have not much bass, but I'm the guy with custom 15" sub hooked up to a 1200w amp.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
no...of course not! must make my house sound like a 90s car.
Maybe a language issue.
You only have 1 15" subwoofer?
2 is good but 4 is even better. ;)

marX

I got this speaker but ran out of cash :p
Is anyone of you using a cheap amp with these? Do you enjoy it?

DavidK442

Forum Donor
There have been a few amazing inexpensive speaker amps tested here lately, starting from $100. Pick one that fits your budget.

mikhailf

How cheap? If you give the example of the amp you are considering, your setup (how many speakers, number of amp channels), room specifics, typical listening volumes, movies or music - then it would be possible to get relevant advice. If you are using 2 speakers for stereo listening, a simple stereo amp around $800 - $1000 will be fine for the most.

Pauper

Maybe a language issue.
You only have 1 15" subwoofer?
2 is good but 4 is even better. ;)
I run these with a Cambridge CAX 61 amp ( about £700 ) and they sound fine. Got the M16’s for £350 open box as new. The bass is slightly humped , if it bothered me I’d eq. it , but it doesn’t.

Top Bottom