• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel C208 Review (Center Speaker)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Why not behind a screen?
I would feel silly if i had bought an expensive wood veneer speaker and put it behind a screen, considering the cabinet makes for a fair share of the price, but maybe it's just me. Such "furniture grade" speakers are not really meant to be hidden, this is (for me) rather a use case for onwall / in-wall speakers (mostly cheaper too). Last but not least, the buyer of a Revel C208 will likely buy the optically fitting rest of the setup.
https://www.revelspeakers.com/produ....html?dwvar_C208-_color=Walnut-GLOBAL-Current

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
You mean replace the tweeter and midrange with a coaxial or replace the woofers and midrange with a coaxial? It’s the dual woofers causing the most issue in terms of being highly directive.
Looks like I wasn't propely awake. The "problem" is indeed the d'Appolito design and the lack of waveguide for the midrange. If it had been done perfectly, it could have been CD with a lower directivity fall.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like I wasn't propely awake. The "problem" is indeed the d'Appolito design and the lack of waveguide for the midrange. If it had been done perfectly, it could have been CD with a lower directivity fall.
JTR has 10“ coaxial speakers.

1615726374402.jpeg
I would love to see one of those measured.

Thanks to Matt Poes, we know their 212 tower has awesome measurements, and that uses a waveguided coaxial).

Reactions: Pio

RHO

Major Contributor
For those with some DIY skills:
Looks like this speaker uses sb-acoustics drivers. They are readily available for DIY projects and many good designs can be found online and some are available on the site of the manufacturer. The drivers are known for their performance and good value. So I wasn't really surprised by the low distortion numbers on these. Good x-over and cabinet design from Revel!

Reactions: Pio

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I dont understand any of this. Why are people saying B&M, with higher overhead, somehow the folks you can negotiate down? If anything it seems they would be the sort to stick to MSRP more than anything since their service is what I would assume, superior than a simple online retailer? Or is it simply that they are THAT desperate seeing as how B&M is dying, theyre willing to bend over backwards even further?
I haven't read past this post so if this has been said already my bad for repeating. It is counter intuitive, but a B&M store if they hold stock should be quite willing to negotiate price, unless they are so well established and flush with cash. I know as I had been in retail for many years. Once you have actual stock, it begins to age as inventory soon and once it exceeds the 30 day point, usually by then the invoice to the supplier becomes due. The merchant is now paying interest on their line of credit, eroding the profit margin from that point forward. It depends of course, some businesses will be in better shape than others, but this is generally speaking true for all but the most well set independent dealers.

An online retailer should be flexible as they carry no stock, often anyway, and in that case they are simply drop-shipping. If that is the case the full MSRP profit margin which I suspect is around 30% has some room to shed, but not as much as you think so big discounts aren't likely, but I always try to get tax covered at least.

Clearly, the higher the price of an item, the more it becomes worth negotiating price. If the item is only say $400, maybe not enough profit left over to bother with dropping the price, but if you are now selling something where the full profit margin is say $700, you might be willing for the little work of arranging drop shipping take a quick and easy $500 instead. It depends on the timing. Catch the vendor when their cash flow is low and invoices are coming due, or taxes etc., suddenly they may be more flexible. Always call or e-mail and ask for a reasonable discount, don't ask for a ridiculous sum, they need a profit that is viable. If one vendor says no, ask another, if you are lucky enough to be in a country where there are many possible vendors, by all means, play them against each other and just keep asking. That is business. If there were multiple suppliers for their product lines you can bet your life that they will shop around for the best wholesale price.

At the end of the day it is just business, they aren't your friends and the common element is that they want your money and you want their product. They want as much of your money as they can get and you want to pay as little as possible. People are embarrassed I think to ask for a discount because they think the friendly sales staff actually care about them as people. It isn't that they couldn't care, but at the end of the day the entire relationship is based on money. Save some of your money, ask around. The public price isn't the only price. Many wholesale account agreements control the published MSRP, but unadvertised prices are up to the vendor. It is their merchandise so they can sell it for what they want, they just can't advertise being flexible on price.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was mine I had sent in and the review showed what I hoped to see... wide dispersion, low distortion and good tonally balanced. Our theater room screen is large at 122” wide and floor standers are a tough fit without stuffing them in the corner, so for the past few years we have used 3 speakers below the screen angled up and it has worked really well. Last speakers were M106 which worked very well but wanted something with lower distortion at louder volumes as there are times that some of our guests like to listed quite loud. The lower distortion at higher volumes with the 2 8inch drivers and dedicated midrange seem to accomplish just that. I already am using 2 of them, and with them flush against the wall under the screen, they get to around 40hz in room (although I will still be crossing them around 80hz. And thanks to Amir for measuring. Great to have the measurement data.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This review proves that a well engineer 3 ways center channel is up to the task.
Mine is a Jamo bass reflex but it does not matter if the center speaker is declared as small.
The FR and FL speakers are doing the needed job for the low frequencies that are re-directed to them.
How was the dialogs clarity with this Revel?
The poor man's version of this speaker is the $400 Monoprice THX 365C and quite a bit smaller with 2x 6.5" woofers (about 24" wide), so no surprise, Audioholics measurement/review ranks this among the best out there - well designed speakers are pretty consistent!

Screenshot 2021-03-14 070917.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-14 071532.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-14 071532.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-14 071532.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot 2021-03-14 070917.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-14 070917.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 104

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious am I the only one in the camp of those who prefer not to have a central speaker with 65” TV or under, or is it a respectable stance among ASR community?
Center speaker if you have a number of people sitting on the sides of the couch watching. The main listening position is fine with the phantom center, but the side seats on each end of the couch may not have the dialogue centered beneath the screen as the sound appears to come from the closest speaker. If you you have both speakers close to the TV as you have them, then it's not a big deal, but some people have their stereo pair of speakers a bit farther apart than that.

AVKS

So this is another Revel speaker where Amir's data differs greatly in the low end vs Revel's spins, with the F35 as another example. Any thoughts on why this is? Revel's specs claim -3 db at 50 Hz, so am I just misunderstanding cases like this?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this is another Revel speaker where Amir's data differs greatly in the low end vs Revel's spins, with the F35 as another example. Any thoughts on why this is? Revel's specs claim -3 db at 50 Hz, so am I just misunderstanding cases like this?
I believe this is an issue with some of the older spins from Revel. I believe their newer spins are more in line in the bass with Amir's.
See the F208 review. Amir shows 2 spins of the Salon2 from Revel of the same speaker showing different bass measurements. It seems reasonable to conclude there is good agreement with the newer spins from Revel.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f208-tower-speaker-review.13192/

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
This was mine I had sent in and the review showed what I hoped to see... wide dispersion, low distortion and good tonally balanced. Our theater room screen is large at 122” wide and floor standers are a tough fit without stuffing them in the corner, so for the past few years we have used 3 speakers below the screen angled up and it has worked really well. Last speakers were M106 which worked very well but wanted something with lower distortion at louder volumes as there are times that some of our guests like to listed quite loud. The lower distortion at higher volumes with the 2 8inch drivers and dedicated midrange seem to accomplish just that. I already am using 2 of them, and with them flush against the wall under the screen, they get to around 40hz in room (although I will still be crossing them around 80hz. And thanks to Amir for measuring. Great to have the measurement data.
A picture would be nice.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
@amirm, not sure what you mean when dealer margins aren't at play with direct market channel purchases. That would imply direct from Revel. They certainly will not undersell their dealer network so the price they sell for I am sure will be MSRP. Perhaps I misunderstood your point?

I did not play any movies but on music, vocals were incredible. Clear, open and tonally correct.
typical use case would be home theater and I would just add that most center channel speakers are designed to carry dialog and voices so vocals would likely be good too
"clear, open and tonally correct" is good to read and I enjoyed the listening test section of your review the most, even if some of it is subjective
I did not see the disclaimer you have posted previously on reviews of Revel speakers as to bias or conflict of interest you may have with regards to Revel and Harman

Top Bottom